BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg & Most Other Tiger Teams
I get the feeling that Edwards is the better player now (I doubt anyone would argue otherwise), however Newchurch's X-factor arguably means that he has a higher potential ceiling. Whether or not Newchurch ever achieves his potential is another matter entirely...
I understand your analogy but did the club make the right call or the wrong call???

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Very simple

Adelaide's talent assessment of Edwards seems consistent with the broader industry assessment of Luke Edwards

You assess the player on his talent, not his surname and I think we will see Luke is unlikely to make it on a AFL senior or rookie list this draft

If he is to play AFL in the future its likely through proving himself at state league level

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
So your saying that you believe the club has made the correct call???

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
My opinion: Disappointing as I thought Edwards had a good shot of at least making it as a footballer at this level, seemed rather similar to McPherson in the sense of being the type who'd look like he's a 100 game player almost immediately without doing anything that is game-breaking. Hopefully, he gets picked up in the numerous drafts that are occurring though.
Yeah I am also disappointed and I feel the club has messed up. So you also feel that the club has missed the boat.

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
If Edwards is still there at #40 I'd be prepared to still take him there and then.

Won't be a popular opinion on here but I'd take him before Borlase, Luke's kind of composure with ball in hand, the way he reads the play and neat skills especially by foot along with his potential to eventually go into the midfield rotations would make him a good pick up if still available at #40.

That said I can see the club's reasoning should he attract a bid earlier than where we rated him along with perhaps them seeing Borlase as a more impending need for our rebuild with an aging Talia, a developing Fischer McAsey and with Hartigan's departure that only leaves Jordan Butts as tall defensive back up.
From what I can take out of your comment you believe the club has stuffed up. They have missed an opportunity. I am not really trying to find out why we didnt take him. What I want to know is in your opinion whether the club stuffed up or wont live to regret their decision.

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I don't have any problems with us not picking him up because we don't rate him that highly

However I do have a problem with us choosing one year of Mackay over him, especially if he does get drafted to another club. If anyone is drafting him, it should be us with a free hit, especially instead of Mackay
So Scorpus you basically feel the club has made the correct decision. Your reasoning isnt what I am trying to understand its your opinion about whether the club has stuffed up or not. So if you say nope the club did the right thing and in two years time after Luke has played elsewhere and become a real start we can all come back at you and question your decision making process ...:):)

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Nah even for DMac it's unlikely.

I hope Luke gets a go somewhere, but with too many of his type I can totally see why we haven't guarenteed him a spot.
So your of the opinion that the club has made the right decision. You dont think it will comeback and bite us on the arse??

So Scorpus you basically feel the club has made the correct decision. Your reasoning isnt what I am trying to understand its your opinion about whether the club has stuffed up or not. So if you say nope the club did the right thing and in two years time after Luke has played elsewhere and become a real start we can all come back at you and question your decision making process ...:):)

For me it comes down to this.

If we had delisted Mackay, I'd say this was the correct decision. It would mean we don't rate him, and plan on drafting someone better with that vacant list spot. I'd back the club's judgement on that.

But because we kept Mackay, I'm saying it's the wrong decision. We are rating Mackay above Edwards or any other late prospect. I wouldn't rate Mackay (at this stage in his career) over the potential output of any semi-draftable player in this year's draft, including Edwards. Taking a chance on someone that might develop into a future player is better than having a known below average senior player on the list.

I think the value of seeing Edwards on an AFL list for 1-2 years is greater than having Mackay on the list for one year, but the value of Edwards vs another draftee might have been lower

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
For me it comes down to this.

If we had delisted Mackay, I'd say this was the correct decision. It would mean we don't rate him, and plan on drafting someone better with that vacant list spot. I'd back the club's judgement on that.

But because we kept Mackay, I'm saying it's the wrong decision. We are rating Mackay above Edwards or any other late prospect. I wouldn't rate Mackay (at this stage in his career) over the potential output of any semi-draftable player in this year's draft, including Edwards. Taking a chance on someone that might develop into a future player is better than having a known below average senior player on the list.

I think the value of seeing Edwards on an AFL list for 1-2 years is greater than having Mackay on the list for one year, but the value of Edwards vs another draftee might have been lower
So I am going to say that you believe that it was the wrong decision. Is that fair because after all the club has made the decision to not take Luke and you sound like you do rate him. (personally I do)

So I am going to say that you believe that it was the wrong decision. Is that fair because after all the club has made the decision to not take Luke and you sound like you do rate him. (personally I do)
I wouldn't say that I rate him because I don't follow the draft closely. However I trust the opinion of other people who suggest he is (minimum) in the mix for being drafted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Remember all the excitement of the past year or so of getting talents Edwards, Borlase and Newchurch on the cheap, what a huge steal.

May take none of them now!
Forgetting all of the other cheapies we were excited about this time last year the question in your opinion has the club made the right decision regarding Luke. Not looking for all the reasons they can be found in another thread. So what is your opinion about the clubs decision.

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Because if he's NOT bid on and he is still there at our last ND pick, we HAVE to take him on the main list.

At least, that's what they say at AFL.com.au:

"The nominating club can select the eligible player by forfeiting its next available pick in the draft if a bid has been made by another club. If there is no bid from another club, the nominating club forfeits its last pick in the National Draft"

Presumably, we felt we may want to do other things with our last pick ...
Youve been here a long time so you should give your opinion about whether the club has done the right thing or made the wrong decision. As I have said to a few others what I am looking for is a which hunt in 1-2 years. So many people come on here and give their opinions about the club and that OK. But many come here and give their opinions in a "statement of fact" narrative. Now you being an old dog I really want to know your opinion about whether the club stuffed up or was correct. What do you think they should have done. :) :)

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I wouldn't say that I rate him because I don't follow the draft closely. However I trust the opinion of other people who suggest he is (minimum) in the mix for being drafted.
I have placed what I think is your opinion in the beginning of the thread. If I have it right thats good but you are not happy with what I said let me know and I'll adjust it.

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I wonder if the poor kid is not being hung out to dry by the perception of difficult parents?

pure speculation, but i hope not
Hey Sanders, Your a poster with an opinion. You dont care if its popular or unpopular so how about you giving me your opinion about the club's decision on Luke. Did the AFC stuff up or should they have taken Luke. I know we will have an idea in about 1-2years. So what do you think about this.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I'm no draft expert either but I think initially he was tipped to go in the second round but most seem to have him sliding into the 3rd round at this point.

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Who cares we didn't pick him, wast of time, end thread now geez
Bite your bum. The idea behind the thread is to see how good/correct so called experts are about identifying talent. If you dont want to be bothered thats fine but let the rest of us either make a hero of ourselves in 1-2years or make a fool of ourselves.

Oct 17, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins
My opinion is Luke is a good player but the father has made it toxic for the club. I wasn't surprised he wasn't nominated. He is worthy of being on a list but we have so many of his type was always going to be hard to nominate him. My other question is why did it take so long to arrive at the decision.

One scenario is...if he is not picked up in either the ND or the RD. We may take him him in one of the SSP drafts.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I just hope it was all based on on-field stuff. Somehow I'm not sure, all reports (other than from AFC) are he is a more likely prospect than Newchurch.
Nominate, and take him as a rookie in the worst case. You don't have to match the bid.

He's slipped a long way in a season where the Vics haven't kicked a footy if we're talking rookie spots. I trust Ogilvie more than any other club employee, so I'll back in his talent order every day of the week. If this has any semblance of off-field interference then Tyson and Mandy must be extremely toxic people. The fund was years ago, but then Tyson re-shat the bed over his first kid. Maybe there are people that you're happy that their kid has slipped from top 20 to * knows where.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I get the feeling that Edwards is the better player now (I doubt anyone would argue otherwise), however Newchurch's X-factor arguably means that he has a higher potential ceiling. Whether or not Newchurch ever achieves his potential is another matter entirely...

Rowie's kid came up via a caller this arvo. And after that Rowie spoke about how hard he'd worked, how much he wanted it and that the family are all Crows supporters and it would be a dream come true. Then said if it was him calling names and there was his kid and Newchurch left he wouldn't be calling Jimmy. I think for all his dumbness Rowie is the anti-Edwards', has the club at heart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back