Opinion What is your opinion about the club not signing Luke Edwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm indifferent regarding Edwards, but think we should have moved on more players this year - Mackay, Seedsman, Davis and Kelly.

Mackay, Seed and Kelly. Davis deserves another preseason. But, we need some experience outside our best 22 and hopefully that's what those 3 bring. If they're anywhere near the 22 + emergencies in round 1 then god help us.

Sep 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I hope the lad gets on a list but I think at worst it will be a minor regret we didn’t take him. We have Hamill Scholl Milera MacPherson plus Smith Laird Brown who still have 5 years in them - plenty of depth and young prospects in that part of the field.
Good luck to him though

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Johnny Rutten

Anarchy for the AFC, it's coming sometime...
Apr 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I hope the lad gets on a list but I think at worst it will be a minor regret we didn’t take him. We have Hamill Scholl Milera MacPherson plus Smith Laird Brown who still have 5 years in them - plenty of depth and young prospects in that part of the field.
Good luck to him though

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
No regrets at all. With recruitment, you win some, you lose some. You just make the call you believe in, at the time. Every club does that. We'll see how he goes. Like you said, best of luck to him.

Crowbots are dead

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tyson thinking he's more important than the club (not for the first time), doesn't help.
What a baseless comment. You can’t blame him looking out for his kids . Tyson professionally played out an outstanding career at our club , despite a major rift with another Macca . Both were extremely professional and put the club first. He also had to deal with the club forgetting that he had cancer towards the end of his career. I still can’t believe that .

I really don’t see the need for denigrating a club legend .

Mong

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Crows
I’m slightly disappointed that he won’t even be on our rookie list, but I trust our recruiters to make the right call.

He’s a father-son prospect who has has been a member of our academy for years. To get to this point and decline to nominate him shows we just don’t rate him. If it was line ball, I’m sure we would have claimed him. To me, it shows he wasn’t even that close.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
So your of the opinion that the club has made the right decision. You dont think it will comeback and bite us on the arse??
No I don't.

He might even be a good AFL player, but I'm very comfortable with the decision we've made.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
From what I can take out of your comment you believe the club has stuffed up. They have missed an opportunity. I am not really trying to find out why we didnt take him. What I want to know is in your opinion whether the club stuffed up or wont live to regret their decision.
Didn't I say it seemed the club didn't rate him inside their first 4 picks 1, 9, 22, 23 and I think there's every chance we only take 4 players in the National Draft.

That said I'm pretty sure some of the people saying he's not good enough to be on an AFL clubs main list or rookie list have rarely seen him play...if at all.

I think there are other factors at work below the surface that we'll never ever know about.

I'll be gobsmacked if he doesn't find a home on an AFL list in 2020.

Dec 18, 2007
Arcadia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks
If the worst club in the league doesn't want a free hit father son who's been around the club for years as an academy member, then surely no other club would pick him

Don't forget the draft picks we have, that we got in part by being bottom.

West Coast are one of the top teams and they could potentially select Edwards with their first pick, currently 62.

Does that mean WC rated him higher than the AFC? No, just means AFC had picks available to use which gave them access to players higher on their board. At WC's first pick maybe he is the highest available on their board.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
I wonder if the poor kid is not being hung out to dry by the perception of difficult parents?

pure speculation, but i hope not
I think it's a very likely scenario Colonel and I can understand the club's reluctance to go all in on the kid for that reason.

A case of once bitten, twice shy I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’m slightly disappointed that he won’t even be on our rookie list, but I trust our recruiters to make the right call.

He’s a father-son prospect who has has been a member of our academy for years. To get to this point and decline to nominate him shows we just don’t rate him. If it was line ball, I’m sure we would have claimed him. To me, it shows he wasn’t even that close.

Pure professionalism and drive can get you ahead of the class up to a point. If that's the case, you'll likely get found out in draft year. Similar to how the big blokes and man-children mids can flatline so quickly. Edwards has slipped against a draft class that's mostly been playing Xbox all year. That says a lot to me.

Don't forget the draft picks we have, that we got in part by being bottom.

West Coast are one of the top teams and they could potentially select Edwards with their first pick, currently 62.

Does that mean WC rated him higher than the AFC? No, just means AFC had picks available to use which gave them access to players higher on their board. At WC's first pick maybe he is the highest available on their board.

But we don't even want him as a rookie if he falls through to the rookie draft

We have the choice not to match and could easily let him go through to any other club. By not nominating him, we've said we don't even rate him high enough for our rookie list. We don't think even the 42nd spot on our list (the worst list in the competition) is worthy of a place for him

We could've traded out players, we could've delisted Ben Davis and paid out his tiny contract, we didn't have to re-contract others.

This decision wasn't made in the last 2 weeks. We've got enough half backs who we can't fit in already.... So sure let's add one more.
This is either the wake up or goodbye moment for Davis.

Dec 18, 2007
Arcadia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks
But we don't even want him as a rookie if he falls through to the rookie draft

We have the choice not to match and could easily let him go through to any other club. By not nominating him, we've said we don't even rate him high enough for our rookie list. We don't think even the 42nd spot on our list (the worst list in the competition) is worthy of a place for him

Isn't what you're talking about doing exactly what he and his family don't want?

It's what we did with with Jackson, isn't it?

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not overly fussed about not signing Edwards. If he was a standout talent it would have been an easy decision

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Had high hopes for him from tge talk over the last 2 years so it is a shame that he has dropped in terms of where he may have been as a possible 1st rounder as a f/s would have been great and a leg up for us..but seems not to be

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
I understand your analogy but did the club make the right call or the wrong call???
On Edwards - right call.
On Mackay - it's debatable, the only valid reason for retaining him is the uncertainty surrounding this draft class, with so many players not having played a game in 2020.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
I wonder if clubs (not just us) have been put off by the perceived baggage?
There's a "perceived" attitudinal issue with Luke .....maybe Tyson is the speechmaker, maybe not

The Edwards rhetoric was, "we'll decide if we accept father / son, or might be better to go into the open Draft"

So the club, learning from Jackson, made a quick clearcut decision .....did the rhetoric affect the call on Luke? .....players are assessed not only on football skills, but also character / attitude

Not really
AFL is a ruthless business. If he was good enough of a player to be better than our 42nd best player, we'd tell his family to get stuffed and take him to make us better.

If he's not that good, and the family rubbish where he sooks about being a rookie is enough to not bother with the hassle, then we wouldn't bother drafting him at all.

So I'll reiterate. If we don't think he's worth bothering with, and we're the worst team, that isn't a glowing reference and makes him an unlikely draft prospect.

When was the last time a father son wasn't even nominated by the club but was drafted anyway by someone else, and did that player make it? My recollection is it practically never happens and if a player isn't nominated it's because he's not good enough to be drafted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back