hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
AFL is a ruthless business. If he was good enough of a player to be better than our 42nd best player, we'd tell his family to get stuffed and take him to make us better.

If he's not that good, and the family rubbish where he sooks about being a rookie is enough to not bother with the hassle, then we wouldn't bother drafting him at all.

So I'll reiterate. If we don't think he's worth bothering with, and we're the worst team, that isn't a glowing reference and makes him an unlikely draft prospect
The other thing to factor in is when you get to that late in the draft you'd be looking for a guy who, like Ben Davis, has huge potential for improvement... A tough diamond if you will.

Luke gets the most from himself already and probably doesn't have the X factor some of our other half back/wing types have. List balance dictates we probably aren't looking for players like him.

And yes the family attitudes would come into it, but this decision has been coming for 12 months.

I have no real opinion on the last bit, but from the outside they've not appeared to handle themselves well.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Had high hopes for him from tge talk over the last 2 years so it is a shame that he has dropped in terms of where he may have been as a possible 1st rounder as a f/s would have been great and a leg up for us..but seems not to be
It's just a pity the Nationals never went ahead because he was set to play midfield at the Championships according to SA coach Tony Bamford and that's where draftees reputations are made....or broken.

Played midfield for the Bays the 1st couple of U18's games this year and did really well in both, one against a strong Panthers midfield 29 disposals, 4 tackles, 8 marks, 3 clearances, 1.3, the other against Norwood 22 disposals, 6 tackles, 4 marks, 5 clearances, 4 i50's.

He was then elevated to the reserves and played some decent footy in the games I watched but unfortunately the SANFL never kept stats for the Reserves this season due to Covid financial cuts and in his one only SANFL League game he played in deep defence and didn't look out of place until he copped a concussion that kept him out for a month or so. He hasn't fallen as far as some would like you to believe.

ltdamn

Premiership Player
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg, Seahawks, Mariners, Celtic
It's just a pity the Nationals never went ahead because he was set to play midfield at the Championships according to SA coach Tony Bamford and that's where draftees reputations are made....or broken.

Played midfield for the Bays the 1st couple of U18's games this year and did really well in both, one against a strong Panthers midfield 29 disposals, 4 tackles, 8 marks, 3 clearances, 1.3, the other against Norwood 22 disposals, 6 tackles, 4 marks, 5 clearances, 4 i50's.

He was then elevated to the reserves and played some decent footy in the games I watched but unfortunately the SANFL never kept stats for the Reserves this season due to Covid financial cuts and in his one only SANFL League game he played in deep defence and didn't look out of place until he copped a concussion that kept him out for a month or so. He hasn't fallen as far as some would like you to believe.
You've pretty much described his father's pre-AFL career - consistent glimpses of talent but not enough to stand out. We took him middle of the PSD from recollection but a few pundits had him tagged as one of the higher talents in the SA pool that year.

Personally I think he's going to have a very good AFL career as a classy outside mid and would like him to slip to a point where we could pick him up, but don't see it happening.

When was the last time a father son wasn't even nominated by the club but was drafted anyway by someone else, and did that player make it? My recollection is it practically never happens and if a player isn't nominated it's because he's not good enough to be drafted

Jake Kelly?

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
You've pretty much described his father's pre-AFL career - consistent glimpses of talent but not enough to stand out. We took him middle of the PSD from recollection but a few pundits had him tagged as one of the higher talents in the SA pool that year.

Personally I think he's going to have a very good AFL career as a classy outside mid and would like him to slip to a point where we could pick him up, but don't see it happening.
It's a pity some of those commenting without knowing the inner machinations of why the club didn't nominate him wherein lies the the story IMO.

Also a pity most didn't watch the recent SANFL All Stars game to actually watch the lad play against almost all of the better SANFL U18's who were picked for the game no doubt with input from AFL recruiters as to who they wanted another look at. They might just have noticed his 29 disposals and composure, reading of the play and efficient foot skills.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Jake Kelly?
Wonder how Sydney feel about not matching at #25 for son of Andrew.... Josh Dunkley now?

Reckon he'd get a gig in their current midfield?

It's a pity some of those commenting without knowing the inner machinations of why the club didn't nominate him wherein lies the the story IMO.

Also a pity most didn't watch the recent SANFL All Stars game to actually watch the lad play against almost all of the better SANFL U18's who were picked for the game no doubt with input from AFL recruiters as to who they wanted another look at. They might just have noticed his 29 disposals and composure, reading of the play and efficient foot skills.

His disposal is pretty clean but has very little hurt factor. 25m safe kicks, similar to how Brown plays for us.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Wonder how Sydney feel about not matching at #25 for son of Andrew.... Josh Dunkley now?

Sydney did at least nominate him, even if they subsequently chose not to match.

He was nominated but Sydney didn't match. This is a different situation where the player isn't nominated at all

He'd be their captain and best player by now.

Sydney probably a good fit for Edwards. They always seem to have 2-3 players in that mould going back to when Nicks himself played there.

Jake Kelly?
Yeah looks like it. If that's the standard of not nominated F/S players then I'm perfectly content in my assessment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
He'd be their captain and best player by now.

Sydney probably a good fit for Edwards. They always seem to have 2-3 players in that mould going back to when Nicks himself played there.
I think he'll appeal to Graham Wright and Clarko who love players with composure and efficient foot skills. Time will tell.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Trent Burgoyne F/S showed plenty on the few occasions he actually got on the playing field.
Not sure if gun should be used to describe Trent Burgoyne.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Not sure if gun should be used to describe Trent Burgoyne.
Honestly have you seen him play?

I remember Hamish mentioning him in one of his Twomey interviews a year or 2 ago as a highly talented kid but injury riddled.

I watched one of his school games where he was electric....if Port can get on top of his recurring injuries he'll be a player don't you worry, very similarly skilled to brother Jase who will also be very good.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Mackay, Seed and Kelly. Davis deserves another preseason. But, we need some experience outside our best 22 and hopefully that's what those 3 bring. If they're anywhere near the 22 + emergencies in round 1 then god help us.
Davis is the player I'm very surprised has survived.

I would happily have gotten rid of him and freed up another spot, whether that's for Edwards or not.

I understand keeping senior talent for another year, but I genuinely don't see what Davis offers. He was a longshot who hasn't amounted to much (other than a fantastic media talent) and we should have cut bait now instead of waiting a year.

Last edited:
Davis is the player in very surprised has survived.

I would happily have gotten rid of him and freed up another spot, whether that's for Edwards or not.

I understand keeping senior talent for another year, but I genuinely don't see what Davis offers. He was a longshot who hasn't amounted to much (other than a fantastic media talent) and we should have cut bait now instead of waiting a year.

He's contracted for 2021, that's the only reason he has survived you'd think. And we rarely delist and pay out contracts for players in his position

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
But we don't even want him as a rookie if he falls through to the rookie draft

We have the choice not to match and could easily let him go through to any other club. By not nominating him, we've said we don't even rate him high enough for our rookie list. We don't think even the 42nd spot on our list (the worst list in the competition) is worthy of a place for him
I think the father son process is we COULD still nominate him following the main draft, like we did with Ben Jarman and Geelong did with Sam Simpson.

I believe that's still a possibility, though it sounds massively unlikely.

I think the father son process is we COULD still nominate him following the main draft, like we did with Ben Jarman and Geelong did with Sam Simpson.

I believe that's still a possibility, though it sounds massively unlikely.

Given we have pick 1 in the rookie draft and at best maybe 1 spot to use, probably doesn't even require nomination

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane

I'd assume most people here watched that SANFL All Stars game.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
He was nominated but Sydney didn't match. This is a different situation where the player isn't nominated at all
Sydney had a deal with the Dunkley family that they'd match any bid from outside of Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back