Opinion What is your opinion about the club not signing Luke Edwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Not sure if gun should be used to describe Trent Burgoyne.
I also forgot to mention in that interview Hamish let it slip he was actually the one that nominated Trent Burgoyne for the SA Combine so he could get a look at how he'd progressed having seen so little of him in the previous couple of years.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Same outcome.
Granted... but the question posed was "which F/S eligible player wasn't nominated and was subsequently picked up by another club", not "which F/S eligible player was nominated, only for his club to decline matching when a bid came in".

Jake Kelly is the only instance I can think of where an eligible player was not nominated by his Father's club, and who was selected by another club. There are multiple instances of clubs refusing to match - Dunkley has already been cited, and I think there's a Weagle F/S who wasn't matched too.

Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Granted... but the question posed was "which F/S eligible player wasn't nominated and was subsequently picked up by another club", not "which F/S eligible player was nominated, only for his club to decline matching when a bid came in".

Jake Kelly is the only instance I can think of where an eligible player was not nominated by his Father's club, and who was selected by another club. There are multiple instances of clubs refusing to match - Dunkley has already been cited, and I think there's a Weagle F/S who wasn't matched too.

Harry Dear?

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

Both Billy Picken's sons Liam and Marcus were overlooked by Collingwood.

How did that slip by you Mr. Analytical?

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg & Most Other Tiger Teams
My opinion is Luke is a good player but the father has made it toxic for the club. I wasn't surprised he wasn't nominated. He is worthy of being on a list but we have so many of his type was always going to be hard to nominate him. My other question is why did it take so long to arrive at the decision.

One scenario is...if he is not picked up in either the ND or the RD. We may take him him in one of the SSP drafts.
Most on here would agree with some of your thoughts but what I really want to know is do you think the club made the correct decision or will the club regret not taking him.

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
What a baseless comment. You can’t blame him looking out for his kids . Tyson professionally played out an outstanding career at our club , despite a major rift with another Macca . Both were extremely professional and put the club first. He also had to deal with the club forgetting that he had cancer towards the end of his career. I still can’t believe that .

I really don’t see the need for denigrating a club legend .
Yeah I dont like people putting the boots into our legends but you never commented on whether you think the club made the right call. In your opinion should we have picked him up as a F/S or did the club make the correct call. Are you happy that we didnt take Luke or are you disappointed??

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Didn't I say it seemed the club didn't rate him inside their first 4 picks 1, 9, 22, 23 and I think there's every chance we only take 4 players in the National Draft.

That said I'm pretty sure some of the people saying he's not good enough to be on an AFL clubs main list or rookie list have rarely seen him play...if at all.

I think there are other factors at work below the surface that we'll never ever know about.

I'll be gobsmacked if he doesn't find a home on an AFL list in 2020.
Tks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
AFL is a ruthless business. If he was good enough of a player to be better than our 42nd best player, we'd tell his family to get stuffed and take him to make us better.

If he's not that good, and the family rubbish where he sooks about being a rookie is enough to not bother with the hassle, then we wouldn't bother drafting him at all.

So I'll reiterate. If we don't think he's worth bothering with, and we're the worst team, that isn't a glowing reference and makes him an unlikely draft prospect.

When was the last time a father son wasn't even nominated by the club but was drafted anyway by someone else, and did that player make it? My recollection is it practically never happens and if a player isn't nominated it's because he's not good enough to be drafted

We've had 2 that come to mind very quickly. Jake Kelly and Harry Dear.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
We've had 2 that come to mind very quickly. Jake Kelly and Harry Dear.
Collingwood Legendary Centre Half Back and Team of the Century member Billy Picken's two sons Liam Picken and brother Marcus were both overlooked by Collingwood in their draft year, Liam went to the Dogs eventually and was a Premiership player in 2016 and played a shitload of games for them, Marcus never had quite the illustrious career of Liam but played some decent footy for Brisbane while on their list.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Davis is the player I'm very surprised has survived.

I would happily have gotten rid of him and freed up another spot, whether that's for Edwards or not.

I understand keeping senior talent for another year, but I genuinely don't see what Davis offers. He was a longshot who hasn't amounted to much (other than a fantastic media talent) and we should have cut bait now instead of waiting a year.

I think there's something there. He's been selected for senior games twice but not given a block to see what he's got.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I think there's something there. He's been selected for senior games twice but not given a block to see what he's got.
Ridiculous handling of him IMO. Now I understand there was a large gap between R1 and 2 but surely he gets at least 1 more gig.

I do wonder what happened with Davis between round 1 and 2?

He really seemed like a kid on the rise at the start of the year. Good pre-season, got a decent contract extension and he certainly showed he had something against Sydney... then nothing. Just disappeared and no matter how bad it got, we weren't interested.

Its certainly odd.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I do wonder what happened with Davis between round 1 and 2?

He really seemed like a kid on the rise at the start of the year. Good pre-season, got a decent contract extension and he certainly showed he had something against Sydney... then nothing. Just disappeared and no matter how bad it got, we weren't interested.

Its certainly odd.

And if you've ruled a line through him and are paying out Gibbs $600k why not just pay Davis out his $180k and move on. I don't think he's done yet.

Yeah I am also disappointed and I feel the club has messed up. So you also feel that the club has missed the boat.

Potentially. Hard to know without the draft and without a few years passing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back