Opinion What is your opinion about the club not signing Luke Edwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hey Sanders, Your a poster with an opinion. You dont care if its popular or unpopular so how about you giving me your opinion about the club's decision on Luke. Did the AFC stuff up or should they have taken Luke. I know we will have an idea in about 1-2years. So what do you think about this.

if we had more list spots I would have given him a go. But we didn’t

so in that context I’m happy passing on him.

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg & Most Other Tiger Teams
There's a "perceived" attitudinal issue with Luke .....maybe Tyson is the speechmaker, maybe not

The Edwards rhetoric was, "we'll decide if we accept father / son, or might be better to go into the open Draft"

So the club, learning from Jackson, made a quick clearcut decision .....did the rhetoric affect the call on Luke? .....players are assessed not only on football skills, but also character / attitude
So your saying the club made the right call.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
So your saying the club made the right call.
We as supporters judge players with ball in hand .....Nicks as a defender himself looks closely at his defensive actions
Luke tested quite poorly athletically ....maybe he didn't have those 2nd efforts, can he chase an opponent at AFL level ..because he looks good ball in hand

We have a lot of HBF's .....we're looking for speed in the midfield, so what was his position ?

Yes we have made the right call .....not seeing other clubs prepared to jump on him yet, and if Luke goes after #40, it'll vindicate our call, as other clubs basically will have agreed with our assessment

But Edwards is very good in a 10 mtr square area

Crowbots are dead

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah I dont like people putting the boots into our legends but you never commented on whether you think the club made the right call. In your opinion should we have picked him up as a F/S or did the club make the correct call. Are you happy that we didnt take Luke or are you disappointed??
I would love us to have another Tyson Edwards which is the father son allure but it rarely works out that way . I’m happy with the club’s judgement on this . Seems to have slid down the pecking order.

Sep 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's a pity some of those commenting without knowing the inner machinations of why the club didn't nominate him wherein lies the the story IMO.

Also a pity most didn't watch the recent SANFL All Stars game to actually watch the lad play against almost all of the better SANFL U18's who were picked for the game no doubt with input from AFL recruiters as to who they wanted another look at. They might just have noticed his 29 disposals and composure, reading of the play and efficient foot skills.

I thought he played particularly well in that game - which makes our choice more surprising. I know our picks are weighted to the top of the draft but given the years of tracking him you would have thought we could have manoeuvred something to grab him

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Johnny Rutten

Anarchy for the AFC, it's coming sometime...
Apr 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I thought he played particularly well in that game - which makes our choice more surprising. I know our picks are weighted to the top of the draft but given the years of tracking him you would have thought we could have manoeuvred something to grab him

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Lord help us, if we ever base our recruiting off one game. AFC have obviously been tracking Luke for a long time. Only time will tell whether they got it wrong, or not.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think there are 2 separate issues here:
1. If we don’t pick Luke in the ND, will he become a gun and will we live to regret?
Having not seen him play at all, but judging by some of the comments, it seems he is class, but not a likely top 20 prospect. When you get picked up after this, then it’s rarely a certainty you have a long AFL career. He might become a solid player, but lower probability of being an AFL elite, for us to feel any significant regret.

2. Did we do right for both Luke and the club?
In my opinion, yes and yes.
Our recent history of F/S selections in Ben Jarman and Jackson Edwards, suggests a poor strike rate of AFL selections. Meanwhile, the club may feel a constant internal pressure to try playing them at AFL due to their fathers’ legendary status.
If Luke is a genuine AFL player, then he will be picked up by a team, and it should be on his own merit rather than reliance on his dad’s reputation.

On a side note, is there still a chance we can pick him up at a later pick?

Dec 18, 2007
Arcadia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks
Don't forget the draft picks we have, that we got in part by being bottom.

West Coast are one of the top teams and they could potentially select Edwards with their first pick, currently 62.

Does that mean WC rated him higher than the AFC? No, just means AFC had picks available to use which gave them access to players higher on their board. At WC's first pick maybe he is the highest available on their board.

Throw enough darts, bound to land one of them!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Wow seems to be a hotly debated topic...

Sounds like it’s probably best for everyone that he found a different home, last thing you want is family dramas/issues with ex players hanging over the guys career.

So he’s a certain 300 gamer/Dual Premiership player I assume?

That’s how it works right?

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Wow seems to be a hotly debated topic...

Sounds like it’s probably best for everyone that he found a different home, last thing you want is family dramas/issues with ex players hanging over the guys career.

For Adelaide, he wasn't worth the baggage that would have come along with his selection. He also wasn't good enough to be selected by Adelaide, given where our picks fell. We we finished at pick #38, and you grabbed him with pick #52, which is probably about where his talent said he should be.

For West Coast, we wish both you & Luke all the best. He seems like a reasonable kid, with no outstanding attributes - but he's a genuine footballer, who doesn't have many major flaws in his game either. Being away from the AFC is probably the best thing which could happen to Luke. Hopefully it works out well for both West Coast and Luke Edwards.

goyoucrows

All Australian
Aug 3, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't understand the logic of the AFC not wanting to deal with the Edwards family baggage, when they signed the son of the voice of sports radio in the state.

I just don't think he was good enough and not what we were looking for.

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
We will see what he has got now.
Yep. I am happy that he got selected and he now has the opportunity to show his worth. Might take some time to break into the WC team but he will develop. Now lets revisit this thread in 3 years...I mean thats why I started it up so we can revisit peoples thoughts about the Crows not taking him as a F/S

Sep 8, 2008
Pacific Northwest
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Seattle Seahawks

Yep but one day his wife will have a falling out with the wife of another player, which will poison the club's culture just enough to ensure you have no real success until one day someone thinks a camp is a great idea.

Good luck.

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
If he becomes a gun at WCE, I don’t fancy our chances of luring him back
forums-elderscrollsonline-com-aleissa-bridge-let-s-make-it-awesomer-er-e-gif.668505

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Will be interesting to see how Luke goes this week. I know it will only be his first game so it could be too early to rate his potential but some on here might just have to eat crow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back