What is your opinion on Jimmy Bartel?

Remove this Banner Ad

But I can't remember one big game where Jimmy Bartel is the guy the opposition is trying to stop.

TQb1K.gif

Almost wet myself on Friday night when Harley talked about Bartel willing himself into the contest to get into the game.

Got pantsed in the middle and started playing loose man in defence. Superstar.

Interesting the Cats bag Hodge for playing the loose man role for the Hawks but when Bartel does it he's a star.

Lol. No. Selwood is already twice the player.
No. Bartel was the gun before Ablett in the middle, then Ablett was the dominate player where Bartel took a sideways step and played on the ball, down back, up forward...etc Taking marks, getting players involved and kicking goals. When ever the game is in the balance Bartel plays a big part for Geelong and has probably won them more games than anyone. Selwood is a quality player and works hard and wins a lot of the ball, but isn't at the level Bartel has been for 5 years. Selwood is still improving each year.

Bartel is obviously the worst Brownlow/Norm Smith player ever. Behind Judd, because Judd sucks? (just trying to be in with the in-crowd here at Bigfooty.)

Easily one of the most overrated players in the competition. His weekly output does not go close to matching his reputation.

Quality player? sure. One of the best midfielders in the comp? Not even close. Heck, he isn't even Geelong's best midfielder.

I thought you were referring to Goddard

Again, agreed he is great in big games. But I can't remember one big game where Jimmy Bartel is the guy the opposition is trying to stop. Stevie J, Gazza Jr, Selwood, Chappy, Scarlett yes, Jimmy Bartel no. When has he been tagged or been defensively minded in a big game?
He benefits from being just a "very good player" in the regular games, because others with more consistency of hurting the opposition have to be looked at to shut down first.

Now the 2009 GF for example is excellent at showing what a champion player and how important Jimmy Bartel is and has been to Geelong's recent dominance. He locked down on Hayes and helped Geelong win the game. I am not denying he is a champion of the game who will rightfully deserve a spot in the hall of fame. I am simply saying that over the past 2-3 years on regular output, there are a lot of footballers who have done more and deserve to be currently ranked as better footballers.
Adam Goodes for example. If he was in the Cats team instead of Jimmy Bartel over the past 5 years, you don't think he would've torn apart the opposition with the same freedom? Matthew Pavlich? Brent Harvey? Simon Black?

I don't disagree with that, but all these players have their faults. Bartel's fault is that he does not influence - since 07 - games from the midfield often enough. But being a proven match winner in finals is a rare talent, that few players, and Black aside, those players you mention don't have it.

He is the right player for his time. Geelong have not needed ball winners ( this year aside) in the midfield, we have needed a player to tip a tight final our way. I don't think Harvey, Goodes and Pavlich have the temperament do what Bartel did in 09 and 11.

Seems to go wherever Geelong are struggling. If he was played as an inside midfielder all year he would be AA I reckon.

Wouldn't be too many players that can match him IMO, look at round 14 2009 (vs St Kilda) as well as every finals game as proof.

I think the home and away season is a chore for him these days. He just loves playing finals where he steps it up a notch and puts his name back on the radar on the big stage. He is a proven big game player you'd love in your team at crunch time in the 3rd qtr of a final.

My favorite player outside my club. He is versatile, tough, smart, and always steps up in the big games. How anyone can question him being a star is beyond ridiculous. He's one of the finest players in the league at present. He's also a great bloke on top of that. Wish he was a Dee!

In that rare group of players that has won a Brownlow, Norm Smith and a Premiership. How many have there been?

Greg Williams
James Hird
Simon Black
Chris Judd
Jimmy Bartel

Classy bunch, that.

Can't believe some posts in this thread. Would prefer Bartel ahead of most 'superstars' agreed by the lay public. You can talk about talent in guys like Franklin or Swan. Bartel has the most insane, ice-cold, will-to-win I've seen in an AFL footballer.

I don't disagree with that, but all these players have their faults. Bartel's fault is that he does not influence - since 07 - games from the midfield often enough. But being a proven match winner in finals is a rare talent, that few players, and Black aside, those players you mention don't have it.

He is the right player for his time. Geelong have not needed ball winners ( this year aside) in the midfield, we have needed a player to tip a tight final our way. I don't think Harvey, Goodes and Pavlich have the temperament do what Bartel did in 09 and 11.

Thank you for being someone who can at least acknowledge the point I am trying to make. Too many people on here just reply back with, "yeah but he's a superstar in finals" or "a Collingwood supporter wouldnt know anything about a big game player."

I agree that those players don't have the temperament to do what Bartel did in 09, and I don't think they are clutch enough to kick the big goals he did in 11, but I still think they would have found a way to play a good game in finals had they been with Geelong and been able to play with less defensive work put into them, and in their own ways they may have helped the Cats win anyway. But that is extremely subjective.

The funniest thing is I am a huge fan of Bartel's. Even back before Geelong were good. And he is impossible not to love with his attack on the footy and his relaxed, understated personality. But I do see the flaws in his game, and the lack of consistent important efforts during the home and away season. I'd love to see the consistent 07-08 prolific Bartel running through the midfield this year, but he doesn't seem capable of doing it anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gun player but far from humble. not overly liked by his peers as he is seen as arrogant. this is not my opinion but that of a few respected afl players.
Can't really blame him huh.

If his peers and fellow opposition players really hated him, why would he be chosen for VC? Why do teams like the Bulldogs and Saints publicly come out and say they are trying to imitate Jimmy? Why do all our young guns come out and say Jimmy is the reason they're playing any good? He mentors our kids FFS. Give us a little hope they're not getting taught by a flog.

Classic bad argument technique, add nothing in the way of an argument, just attack the man not the issue.

Nobody on this thread, Geelong supporters or other, over the past 4 or 5 pages has given an explanation on why Jimmy Bartel, a seemingly champion midfielder would not be playing midfield for the Cats when it is the area they are struggling in. Nobody.
It's all just, yeah but he plays great in big games and he is the first guy I'd want in a grand final. These were not points that I was ever disputing. I am disputing his worthiness as a top 20 player in the league when his output from week to week is that of a 50-100 player in the league.

Lulz.

Geelong has come up with a new gameplan this year that doesn't rely so much on the midfield racking 400 possies and however many contested possies every week. Scott said it, our other coaches have said it, and here you are trying to dispute it.

Why play Jimmy there when we don't want him there?

Lulz.

Geelong has come up with a new gameplan this year that doesn't rely so much on the midfield racking 400 possies and however many contested possies every week. Scott said it, our other coaches have said it, and here you are trying to dispute it.

Why play Jimmy there when we don't want him there?

Is this the same game plan that has lost 5 out of 12 matches when you have previously lost 15 out of 120???
I think you have been listening to David King too much. Not winning contested ball is not a way to win football matches. You give class ball winners the chance to get first hands on it and you won't see it again until it gets kicked back into play or sent back to the middle.

Do you really think that Jimmy Bartel is only having average games because the Geelong coaching staff are asking him to play that way? Do you really think that? And then you are using "lulz" at my opinion. Rightio.

Seems to go wherever Geelong are struggling. If he was played as an inside midfielder all year he would be AA I reckon.
This is rubbish. If he went where Geelong were struggling it'd be the midfield. Guess where he starts and has to get moved out of. Yes, the midfield.
Fact is Bartel as a midfielder is about middle ranged because he doesn't have very good instinct around ground balls and packs. So what does he do? He jumps 3rd man up at the ball ups. Dats nice.
He's very good at the pressure and when the ball is kicked to him because he has clean hands, but gees, he's a big reason for Geelong sliding actually because he is getting exposed in the midfield.

Been overtaken by Fasolo who a superstar. Just sh$tting really but hey this is BF and opinions are like an oven full of ar$eholes, everyone has one....

This is rubbish. If he went where Geelong were struggling it'd be the midfield. Guess where he starts and has to get moved out of. Yes, the midfield.
Fact is Bartel as a midfielder is about middle ranged because he doesn't have very good instinct around ground balls and packs. So what does he do? He jumps 3rd man up at the ball ups. Dats nice.
He's very good at the pressure and when the ball is kicked to him because he has clean hands, but gees, he's a big reason for Geelong sliding actually because he is getting exposed in the midfield.
Could you possibly be any more offended?
We get it - he broke your heart by demolishing your club on the biggest stage of all.

Pre game mate, pre game.
Can you name a big game where he has been tagged?

without even having to think; 2007 grand final.

kane cornes i think he had tagged g ablett in the previous encounter but they moved cornes onto jimmy for the granny and for good reason too.

was interesting because either end of 2006 or start of 2007 he didn't have a tag, then as soon as he started getting tagged you couldn't even tell because he shook it so quickly with his running and ability to play any position

i an already see it coming now. someone will argue and say him moving around the ground is just a cheap way to avoid getting tagged, here we go :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back