What is your opinion on the value of reserves?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
The recent controversy over Beast Mode has me thinking. He absolutely dominated the reserves but was not considered for senior selection. He was statically so much better than the other fringe players selected in front of him it was becoming absurd that he didn't get a game in the seniors but this is not a thread on his selection or non-selection

However I have a series of questions that I do not have a definitive answer to but I would be interested to listen to the Brissie bigfooty community

Does reserves footy get you in form? Should we give Lyons a week in the Twos to get 30 possessions and this would bring him back to last years form?

If you cannot get a kick in the Ones will a few weeks in the twos get you back in form?

Does this issue vary depending on your role in the side? An example: if Eric had two weeks in the Twos when he returned from a 'knee' would he be better able to play at his pre-injury level quicker? Is this more likely for a 'small'' rather then a 'tall'.

Would it vary on the psychological make up of the player? Aker had so much self confidence he should never play Twos?

There are more questions around this issue and I do not want to belabor the point so let fly.

Last edited by a moderator:
The recent controversy over Beast Mode has me thinking. He absolutely dominated the reserves but was not considered for senior selection. He was statically so much better than the other fringe players selected in front of him it was becoming absurd that he didn't get a game in the seniors but this is not a thread on his selection or non-selection

However I have a series of questions that I do not have a definitive answer to but I would be interested to listen to the Brissie bigfooty community

Does reserves footy get you in form? Should we give Lyons a week in the Twos to get 30 possessions and this would bring him back to last years form?

If you cannot get a kick in the Ones will a few weeks in the twos get you back in form?

Does this issue vary depending on your role in the side? An example: if Eric had two weeks in the Twos when he returned from a 'knee' would he be better able to play at his pre-injury level quicker? Is this more likely for a 'small'' rather then a 'tall'.

Would it vary on the psychological make up of the player? Aker had so much self confidence he should never play Twos?

There are more questions around this issue and I do not want to belabor the point so let fly.
It should be simple Phil. You play the best side you can to win the game on the day.

Unless a player returning from or carrying an injury would have his progress hindered by playing at a higher level . Or helped by playing at a lower one.

I'm a bit old school and a spell in the seconds never did anyone any harm if they deserved it . They're hungrier when they come back. A kick up the backside never hurt anybody unless they're totally narcissistic.

As a for instance I reckon we didn't do Rayner any favors by continuing to play him in the firsts when his form never warranted it. My view is that that set his confidence back rather than helped him.

Hipwood would've definitely been better off with some warm up games in the twos to get his confidence back. It can also cost you games . And Hipwood has had to cop criticism because of it when he's basically trying to find his feet.

I know those close to the club will disagree on both counts but you asked for opinions and that's mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back