What is your passion?

Remove this Banner Ad

True Crime (serial killers, unsolved cases etc) and 9/11.

No real idea why but i could talk/discuss/read/watch all day on these two topics.

Actually I just finished this book on the latter:

The Second Plane (2008) is a collection of twelve pieces of nonfiction and two short stories by the British writer Martin Amis on the subject of the 9/11 attacks, terrorism, Muslim radicalisation and the subsequent global War on Terror.

I'm a full-blown Russophile. Love Russian literature. language, history and culture.

There's a doco on SBS tonight at 10pm, Russia: 1,000 Years of History.

Only 1 hour 45 mins.

That's alot of history to be packed into such a short amount of time..

Carnivorous plants. Started out with buying a Venus Flytrap in 2014 as a bit of a curiousity, and 7 years later I cultivate a variety of venus flytraps, sundews, nepenthes, sarracenia, bladderworts and butterworts

Carnivorous plants. Started out with buying a Venus Flytrap in 2014 as a bit of a curiousity, and 7 years later I cultivate a variety of venus flytraps, sundews, nepenthes, sarracenia, bladderworts and butterworts
I went from cactus, to temperate then tropical fruit trees and bush tucker...now orchids (a bit)
I would like to do bonsai ,but the commitment is along the lines of a pet or a child and I would rather travel...I will save it for when I cant be bothered travelling

I went from cactus, to temperate then tropical fruit trees and bush tucker...now orchids (a bit)
I would like to do bonsai ,but the commitment is along the lines of a pet or a child and I would rather travel...I will save it for when I cant be bothered travelling
I forget the exact species but my Dad used to make bonsai out of some kind of fig tree which grew pretty quickly so it only took a few months for them to start looking decent rather than decades like the Japanese pine tree stuff (don't know much about bonsai myself though).

I forget the exact species but my Dad used to make bonsai out of some kind of fig tree which grew pretty quickly so it only took a few months for them to start looking decent rather than decades like the Japanese pine tree stuff (don't know much about bonsai myself though).
Put a bit of age on them and you get the great roots
iu

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The short answer is playing music.

The long answer is that I absolutely love playing music. It doesn't really matter what instrument or which setting it's in, it just gives me absolute joy. It's almost always better playing music with other people, and creating your own music rather than re-creating others' is another step up. It doesn't seem to matter whether it's just strumming an acoustic for a bit of a sing-a-long at home with my family, or if it's jamming out a new song with my band, or if it's playing to a crowd (although that has been sadly few and far between lately for obvious reasons). This will sound like a complete wank, but I've had moments of transcendence in all those different settings.

But one of the purest joys I can ever have is sitting down at a grand piano in an empty room and just having at it - I could play for hours and never get tired of it. We've just moved into a new rental and finally have space to have my parents' old upright out - it's not quite the experience of a grand piano, but it's still quite magical. I've set myself the challenge of being able to confidently play these 4 songs by the end of the year:

To be honest, I think they're all well beyond my actual skill level, but I'm gonna love every moment of trying to master them!

I love learning new stuff

I'd like to do another short course once we're out of LD. FWIW Ive done courses in Education, Fitness, Psychology and Non fiction writing. (Jewellry making was a massive mistake on my part- stopped going after the first few lessons)

Next I'd wanna have a go at learning the Greek language.

I'd like to do another short course once we're out of LD. FWIW Ive done courses in Education, Fitness, Psychology and Non fiction writing. (Jewellry making was a massive mistake on my part- stopped going after the first few lessons)

Next I'd wanna have a go at learning the Greek language.
Once I finnish painting my house
I want to start painting ....canvases

Just curious. Bit of a hokey question I suppose, but it always interests me what topics people are obsessed with and the things that make them interesting.

Golf. I’m completely obsessed in trying to become a better player. I get as much enjoyment hitting balls at the range as I do from actually playing. I like watching it too.

Test cricket. Since I was a kid. It will always be my number one sport.

History. As they say - you get to a certain age it’s either obsess over World War II or cooking meat. And I chose the former. I also read a lot about the Napoleonic era and World War III hypotheticals. Ive done a lot of travelling visiting places where historic war related events happened - such as through France, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary and Italy.

I also do have a genuine interest in mathematics and science. Makes my job teaching these subjects intrinsically motivating and enjoyable. Love animals. Love statistics. Love physics. Heading back to uni to do a calculus course in the next couple of weeks basically because I just enjoy challenging myself and learning.

Last edited:
Golf. I’m completely obsessed in trying to become a better player. I get as much enjoyment hitting balls at the range as I do from actually playing. I like watching it too.

History. As they say - you get to a certain age it’s either obsess over World War II or cooking meat. And I chose the former. I also read a lot about the Napoleonic era and World War III hypotheticals. Ive done a lot of travelling visiting places where historic war related events happened - such as through France, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary and Italy.

I also do have a genuine interest in mathematics and science. Makes my job teaching these subjects intrinsically motivating and enjoyable. Love animals. Love statistics. Love physics. Heading back to uni to do a calculus course in the next couple of weeks basically because I just enjoy challenging myself and learning.
I love hearing from teachers that they're passionate about the subjects they teach!

Can you suggest a good place online to learn Bayesian inference? It’s kicking my butt at the moment

I've never understood people who don't dig history. You witness it every day and it informs so many decisions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back