Strategy What is your teams ideal draft and trade period in 2020?

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
So my question is what are you realistically hoping for out of her draft and trade period for 2020?

My question is about realistic hopes, rather than hopes that are never going to happen, but rather something that could happen, so players you hope to draft, or trades you hope will happen? What is your teams ideal trade and draft period in your eyes?

Also, borrowed from Lore and her great thread

screen-shot-2020-08-30-at-22-27-06-png.949292

For the Sydney Swans

Trades
Papley to Carlton (Don't want this but I am being realistic) - Sydney get pick 7 and 26 in exchange for pick 21
Constable to Sydney - Pick 26
Pruess to Sydney - Future Second rounder

Now for the draft.

No one bids on Campbell before our first pick.

Pick 4 - Phillips

Pick 6 - Campbell matched

Pick 25 - Gulden matched

Pick 60 - Thorne matched

So the Swans gain
Phillips
Campbell
Gulden
Thorne
Constable
Pruess

Swans lose
This years draft picks
2021 second rounder
Papley

To me I think that would be a realistic, but a really good trade and draft period for the Swans.

What do you think, and what would be your ideal but realistic draft and trade period for your club?

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
TRADE
  • Take one of Phillips, Atkins or Polec to put on the wing opposite Hunter. In an ideal world, we'd go something like:
    Josh Schache + Pick 38 <> Tom Phillips
DRAFT
  • Split Pick 9 into multiple picks. Look for a trading partner like Brisbane, where we could go:
    Pick 9 <> Pick 17 + Pick 19 - 1469 points for 1973 points
  • We can then ship off one of those early picks for a player, or for a future pick. Say we split Pick 17 into North's Pick 27 + future 2nd, we end up with:
    Pick 17 <> Pick 27 + 2021 2nd
  • Now we have Pick 19, Pick 27 and Pick 46 - total of 1982 points. This is enough to match a bid at Pick 2 with minor deficit, or Pick 3 with leftover points.
  • Ideally, JUH doesn't get touched in the opening 2 picks. If Adelaide go Thilthorpe at 1, North would be crazy to go for JUH when McDonald is proven at WAFL level against grown men. Could see Sydney making the JUH bid instead if they still had Pick 3.
  • Raak (NGA) and Macpherson (FS) are then bid on late enough that we have enough points to match, or they're free to take.
Lose:
2020 draft picks
Schache

Gain:
Tom Phillips
JUH
Raak
Macpherson
North 2021 2nd

Last edited:

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For the Sydney Swans

Trades
Papley to Carlton (Don't want this but I am being realistic) - Sydney get pick 7 and 26 in exchange for pick 21
Constable to Sydney - Pick 26
Pruess to Sydney - Future Second rounder
I think you're actually undervaluing Papley there. Shouldn't have to downgrade your 2nd in order to get Pick 7 out of Carlton. I could be exaggerating Papley's value, but he's a genuine game winner, on track for AA, and one of the bets in his position throughout the competition. Pick 7 should be the minimum starting point.

I also don't think Preuss would cost so much. He's barely played this year, and was originally trade to Melbourne for Tyson (worthless) and Pick 62.

I honestly think Sydney could get Pick 7, Constable and Preuss without losing their future 2nd.

I don't think below would be out of the question:
Papley <> Pick 7
Future 3rd <> Constable
Pick 53 <> Preuss

Leaves you holding your 2nd, Pick 3 and Pick 7 to play around with

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I think you're actually undervaluing Papley there. Shouldn't have to downgrade your 2nd in order to get Pick 7 out of Carlton. I could be exaggerating Papley's value, but he's a genuine game winner, on track for AA, and one of the bets in his position throughout the competition. Pick 7 should be the minimum starting point.

I also don't think Preuss would cost so much. He's barely played this year, and was originally trade to Melbourne for Tyson (worthless) and Pick 62.

I honestly think Sydney could get Pick 7, Constable and Preuss without losing their future 2nd.

I don't think below would be out of the question:
Papley <> Pick 7
Future 3rd <> Constable
Pick 53 <> Preuss

Leaves you holding your 2nd, Pick 3 and Pick 7 to play around with

That is possible. I tend to undervalue Swans players at the trade table as I think they are great but assume it is my bias talking.

If things go super super well for the Swans, not likely but possible, we could get a player at pick 4, pick 7 and then Campbell, so 3 players in the top 10, though that is rather unlikely.

As for yours, I did not think about it but Western Bulldogs would definitely be trying to sell picks for points this draft. Sydney have done that sort of thing before as well, and it often ends up in things like giving away pick 15 for 2 picks in the 30's as those two picks are worth more in points. Not usually hard to find takers either.

I could easily imagine Brisbane agreeing to take pick 9 in exchange for 17 and 19 as pick 9 is always more reliable a pick than picks in the late teens.

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That is possible. I tend to undervalue Swans players at the trade table as I think they are great but assume it is my bias talking.

If things go super super well for the Swans, not likely but possible, we could get a player at pick 4, pick 7 and then Campbell, so 3 players in the top 10, though that is rather unlikely.

As for yours, I did not think about it but Western Bulldogs would definitely be trying to sell picks for points this draft. Sydney have done that sort of thing before as well, and it often ends up in things like giving away pick 15 for 2 picks in the 30's as those two picks are worth more in points. Not usually hard to find takers either.

I could easily imagine Brisbane agreeing to take pick 9 in exchange for 17 and 19 as pick 9 is always more reliable a pick than picks in the late teens.
I would have thought the way papley has played this year after a good season in 19 could comfortably ask for 7 plus a pick in the 20s.
Phillips should fit your midfield well especially with Campbell coming in aswell.
Wouldn't suprise me to see swans grab whom ever is left of thilthorpe or mcdonald

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
3- bid on Campbell or work out a trade with Sydney to get their first and second to move ahead of us
If matched we take Holland’s instead.
21- trade for Caldwell, add in future 2nd if needed.
Match bid on downie around pick 30.
Pick up best available small forward with later draft picks.
With a fair few possible delistings, look for a couple of dfas with abit of speed and skill I.e cox from Brisbane.
Pipe dream but offer Williams 800x 5 years. Still doubt he’d take it. But would pretty much come in and be our best player. We’ve got a bucketload of cap space and it’s only gonna get bigger next year

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Fun exercise this. My priorities in order would be:

1. Upgrade at Key Forward, but only for the right price.

This is an interesting one as I think we can do better than Hipwood/McStay, but I'm not sure what is available will be worth it. So, I'd take a punt on Daniher if he wants to leave but if Essendon decides to match then I don't think I'd want to trade for him and give up a 1st given the injury risk. I assume that is also another reason why Daniher would nominate someone like Sydney if he decides to leave. Ben Brown doesn't really suit our gamestyle as we are looking for more of a player who can take a contested mark. Realistically the other options aren't that appealing so we will probably go in with our current crop and hope for improvement.

2. If Stef Martin retires, sign/trade for a mature ruck, if he doesn't pick up a developmental ruck in the draft or in a cheap trade

If Stef retires, Nankervis goes to the top of our needs list. Preuss would be the cheaper option trade wise.

3. Trade in for more run from half-back

We recruited Ah Chee hoping he could give us more run out of defence - he was pretty unimpressive there and has been better up forward. Speed and ball use in defence is something we could improve on, though Starcevich has been improved this year. Zac Williams would be the dream here, but I can't see us matching the clubs who will pay him as a top line midfielder. A left-field solution might be someone like Perryman who has played there previously but is now firmly a winger - he'd be a nice option to have in the wing rotation too as Mitch Robbo is well down on form. The only other gun uncontracted half back is Saad but he won't leave Victoria imo.

4. Use our two 1st round picks to either trade up into the top 10 (e.g. with the Dogs), or trade out for a 2021 first round pick

I think its fair to say that our two firsts will be in the latter part of the first round, which with academy bids could really blow out. Given that I think we should be either trading up or trading for a 2021 first which to me will be an intriguing draft with hopefully more information to make choices on if we can have a national carnival next year.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Fun exercise this. My priorities in order would be:

1. Upgrade at Key Forward, but only for the right price.

This is an interesting one as I think we can do better than Hipwood/McStay, but I'm not sure what is available will be worth it. So, I'd take a punt on Daniher if he wants to leave but if Essendon decides to match then I don't think I'd want to trade for him and give up a 1st given the injury risk. I assume that is also another reason why Daniher would nominate someone like Sydney if he decides to leave. Ben Brown doesn't really suit our gamestyle as we are looking for more of a player who can take a contested mark. Realistically the other options aren't that appealing so we will probably go in with our current crop and hope for improvement.

2. If Stef Martin retires, sign/trade for a mature ruck, if he doesn't pick up a developmental ruck in the draft or in a cheap trade

If Stef retires, Nankervis goes to the top of our needs list. Preuss would be the cheaper option trade wise.

3. Trade in for more run from half-back

We recruited Ah Chee hoping he could give us more run out of defence - he was pretty unimpressive there and has been better up forward. Speed and ball use in defence is something we could improve on, though Starcevich has been improved this year. Zac Williams would be the dream here, but I can't see us matching the clubs who will pay him as a top line midfielder. A left-field solution might be someone like Perryman who has played there previously but is now firmly a winger - he'd be a nice option to have in the wing rotation too as Mitch Robbo is well down on form. The only other gun uncontracted half back is Saad but he won't leave Victoria imo.

4. Use our two 1st round picks to either trade up into the top 10 (e.g. with the Dogs), or trade out for a 2021 first round pick

I think its fair to say that our two firsts will be in the latter part of the first round, which with academy bids could really blow out. Given that I think we should be either trading up or trading for a 2021 first which to me will be an intriguing draft with hopefully more information to make choices on if we can have a national carnival next year.
Hypothetical - I know you said you're keen on trading for a future pick, but if you had the chance to trade Pick 17 (or 19) + future 1st to the Dogs for our Pick 9, would you take that?

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hypothetical - I know you said you're keen on trading for a future pick, but if you had the chance to trade Pick 17 (or 19) + future 1st to the Dogs for our Pick 9, would you take that?

It’d probably require something back? Just because I expect 9 might turn into a pick in the 11-14 range depending on bids. I don’t expect us to fall down the ladder next year but you never know so far less risk in sending the two late 2020 firsts.

Last edited:

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It’d probably require something back? Just because I expect 9 might turn into a pick in the 11-14 range depending on bids. I don’t expect us to fall down the ladder next year but you nevertheless know so far less risk in sending the two late 2020 firsts.
Yeah fair enough - it'll be interesting to see what the Dogs do with our pick this year (since it's most likely going to be anywhere from Pick 8-12) and there's so many options for it. Would like to see us turn it into points + a future pick or a player. Plenty of room to get creative, and there's teams like Adelaide, Brisbane and Geelong who have plenty of currency to get them that extra top 10 pick if they wanted it

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah fair enough - it'll be interesting to see what the Dogs do with our pick this year (since it's most likely going to be anywhere from Pick 8-12) and there's so many options for it. Would like to see us turn it into points + a future pick or a player. Plenty of room to get creative, and there's teams like Adelaide, Brisbane and Geelong who have plenty of currency to get them that extra top 10 pick if they wanted it
Don’t think anyone will bite for a pick outside the top 6-7 this year, I think after 7 it flattens out abit so I’d rather take multiple late first rounders over pick 10. This years a crapshoot with no championships or vic footy

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
For a brief reply, our ideal result would be to land Williams through free agency, so that we don't have to use any pics on him, and can then use our first rounder in the draft.

Next best option would be to land Caldwell, who may cost us our first rounder in a trade down type scenario.

Need to add class to our midfield. Ideally ready-to-go.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Williams and Papley should be our two biggest targets imo.

If we miss Williams things change abit. It’s hard to know what Sydney would want for Papley, points or a pick before Campbell? If they don’t think they can get a pick ahead of Campbell then maybe try trade ~7 for Brisbane’s two picks or two of Geelong’s then trade one for Caldwell and the other one along with a 2021 first for Papley. If we could bring in Papley and Caldwell for this and next years first we would’ve done well. I would also look at Polec if the club think his attitude is right for our second if North pay abit of his wage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3x rd1 draft picks either traded for future rd1 picks or spent on draftees.

Our second rounder traded to any club for their future second. Maybe they need the points?

Extend any players that we'd usually consider dropping on a 1 year contract. If they make it recontract if not then select their replacement in 2021. Not much to be gained in replacing them in a draft where 1/3rd of the players are academy and similar proportion have no 2020 exposed form.

No large free agent contracts added in a year when cap is going to start going backwards.

If another club wants a player of ours it would need to be for 2021 picks.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I'd be happy to just take the 3 x 1st rounders and the second rounder to the draft.

I think you would be copping a pretty big discount on your picks if you wanted to trade them out for future ones. Take a glass half full approach and say the guy Wells takes at #11 would have went number 1 if they played the season out and were more exposed :rainbow:

Looking at the phantoms there are a lot of talls tipped to go high this year.

The forwards will be gone by our picks but it pushes some mids down the table and a second KPD project to pair with De Koning from last year in a post Taylor/Henderson world would be handy.

Future second / third for Constable and future third / fourth for Cockatoo depending on the projected finish of the other club if any takers.....

Last edited:
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Based on having 33, 51 and 54 the bar is set pretty low.

Barrass 43, Nelson 51, Cole 36, Williams 35, Rotham 37, Hutchings 60 all currently in the 22, maybe 3 of those guys are best 22 . Rioli 52 would be. Petruccelle 38, Ainsworth 32 and Schofield 50 have played this year, plus Waterman and Cameron who were later FS/NGA picks.

Ideal draft is finding another Mackenzie (29) or LeCras (37) who are AA calibre players, even Yeo was a pick 30 originally. With the disrupted U/18s seasons we can hope that another Oscar Allen falls even further than pick 21, but I wouldn't bank on that. All picks have value so even though we traded out of two first rounds (both picks 15-20ish) we should still be targeting getting something from the 2020 draft.

Also happy to trade into the 20s but we only have about 1,000 points which doesn't buy much. Sydney might trade us pick 22 for some things if they are bidding on someone because we have a history of pick swaps with them, but we have 2/5 of FA to work with.

Trade wise if there' another Dan Butler going cheaply that would be swell.

My ideal off-season for Hawthorn would be to keep all the 2020 draft picks and maybe even try and add one more pick inside the top 30.

2020 draft
Pick 3: Key forward
Pick 21: Key defender
Pick 40: Downie (NGA)
Pick 45: Midfielder
Pick 59: Small forward
Pick 64: Small forward

2021 draft
(Keep all picks)

Trades: None
Free agents: None
Delisted free agents: No idea until the AFL release list sizes for next year

Asifhe Givashe

All Australian
Jan 14, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1. Delist a whole bunch of s**t trucks (Pittard, Hall and Tyson) retire the forever injured (Jacobs)
1a) ZacWilliams as FA.
2. Brown + R2 > 2x R1
3. Dumont + Ahern + 2021 R3 to Adelaide > 19 + 2021 R2 (Adelaide Boy heading home)
4.Bid on Campbell @ 2 with Glee / trade 2 + 2021 R2, 55 + 60 > Sydney 4 + 2021 R1
5.Take Hollands @3, McDonald @4 & Macrae with the Melbourne Pick.

We haven't got a massive amount of currency so probably keep it fairly simple

1. Sign a free agent to bolster the midfield (we've had good luck with ex-Giants so Zac Willliams, back-ups Viney or Crouch)
2. Move on a role player to get us a pick in this year's draft - maybe shift Luke Dunstan and a future pick aiming for a late 2nd, early 3rd
3. Make a few phone calls on draft night, see if anyone's willing to let give us another usable pick to slide back a few steps back in the first round.
4. Bid on quality academy prospects on the board to both try to land talent but clear out picks that sit before our later ones (depending on where our first pick is and those already taken - Braeden Campbell, Reef McInnes, Joel Jeffrey although I'm not sure if the Suns automatically get him)
5. If our bids are unsuccessful, go best available - prioritising foot skills, ideally dual-sided.

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
My take on Geelong: Need developing players all over the field. Don't rate our young midfielders coming through at all.

Delist: Tarca, Taylor (retire), Ablett (retire), Parsons, Kennerley, Jarvis

Aging midfield of Danger/Selwood/Guthrie/Steven/Menegola/Duncan
we have Parfitt/Constable/Fogarty/Stephens/Narkle coming though - very average list of players

- I think we need at least one young balanced midfielder - I would trade a late 1st round pick for Caldwell.
- Take a developing ruck late in the draft or trade for one: Walsh (falcons) or trade for someone like Conroy from the Suns for a latish pick.
- Hawkins is aging but don't think we can get a talented enough tall forward with our picks
- Another small forward with pace and goal sense would be nice. Or if we decide to top up trade for someone like Sexton

Overall Geelong need young talent across the field so will likely take best available

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
No.

Our future first is potentially more valuable in a stronger and deeper draft. Either at the draft or in trade next year.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Our Draft approach is hard to predict till the trade period and list size is done..

Im happy enough with most of the list... our sop is slow burn under developed talent that we have found late or in lower levels. Riccardi shows there is talent there. This year our only debutant has been Close from the SANFL who was 21 at time of drafting.

By the end of list changes id like to see more options for ruck and for KP. Who we draft may depend on who we bring in as PnP.

In the draft.. if knowledge is still limited, ie they has still be no current form then id expect us to have a slight bias toward out of vic and local.

If we take 3 R1 picks to draft ..it would not surprise me to see us involved with in draft trades.

Would not be unhappy if took Perkins , Henry, Ford and maybe Cardillio late... but me liking a kid almost ensures they land elsewhere trying to predict SWells is like being a water diviner.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Based on having 33, 51 and 54 the bar is set pretty low.

Barrass 43, Nelson 51, Cole 36, Williams 35, Rotham 37, Hutchings 60 all currently in the 22, maybe 3 of those guys are best 22 . Rioli 52 would be. Petruccelle 38, Ainsworth 32 and Schofield 50 have played this year, plus Waterman and Cameron who were later FS/NGA picks.

Ideal draft is finding another Mackenzie (29) or LeCras (37) who are AA calibre players, even Yeo was a pick 30 originally. With the disrupted U/18s seasons we can hope that another Oscar Allen falls even further than pick 21, but I wouldn't bank on that. All picks have value so even though we traded out of two first rounds (both picks 15-20ish) we should still be targeting getting something from the 2020 draft.

Also happy to trade into the 20s but we only have about 1,000 points which doesn't buy much. Sydney might trade us pick 22 for some things if they are bidding on someone because we have a history of pick swaps with them, but we have 2/5 of FA to work with.

Trade wise if there' another Dan Butler going cheaply that would be swell.
Yeah we're doing nothing this year. Just signed Petruccelle who could in theory have been trade bait. Not sure what's possible in light of that unless someone decides they want out. Is Gaff going to pull a weird FA move? Is Brander going to request a trade?

Those hypotheticals aside, there's not much for us in the FA market and our salary cap must be very tight already.

I'd be happy with something like this:

1) Trim the list in accordance with the new restrictions without losing anyone with upside. To that end, I doubt we need 5 ruckmen on the list.
2) Find a way to improve our paltry draft hand if possible. Basically, the GC pick swap 2.0. Geelong, are you sure you want all those first-rounders?
3) Sniff around and maybe shake loose a young midfielder for a bargain price. Basically the Yeo trade 2.0.
4) Free Willie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back