Strategy What is your teams ideal draft and trade period in 2020?

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I mean you suggested the trade you you must want him. Billings is a good player yes, but not one we need.
No worries I was pushing you for further detail's. Yes I agree, but one that would fit our needs & might work.

Last edited:

Jack Gunston, would be a great pick up for the Saints, hope Roughy is having the chat. 3 or 4 years of service, until Ben King arrives. Don't think Gunston will move, but the question must be asked. I would hope Ben comes in two years time, 2022\3

Last edited:
Trade- none really barring a few pick swaps to protect us going into the draft. I'd be interested in flipping our 2020 second for some points this year.

Draft- Phillips or Hollands at pick 3 (probably pick 4 with the bid for JUH), Campbell at least. Then assess where the Gulden bid comes. If it's in the second round, match. Maybe a late ruck.

Hollands @ 2/3
Phillips at the Melbourne pick with a fair bit of luck. If not, DGB, Cox or Reid.

I'm fairly confident there's going to be a smorgasbord of decent delisted free agents on offer once the list sizes are formally reduced and the finals sides have to do their first round of cuts.

No worries I was pushing you for further detail's. Yes I agree, but one that would fit our needs & might work.
Okay sorry for not providing discussion. I know Billings is a better player than Steveo buthe really doesn't fit us. If we were to theoreticallytrade youStephenson, I'd imagine we'd want either; a long term key defender to partner Darcy Moore or a Key Forward. I'd say those are our two biggest concerns rn.

I've got a few trade scenarios for The Saints. Trade J.Billings in a direct swap for J.Stephenson. Trade J.Carlisle & a pick for P.Wright. Trade pick's for B.Ronke & J.Maibaum. And a future round 1 pick for J.Caldwell. Trade Dunstan & Ross for 2nd to 3rd round, draft picks.
Is that Dunstan for a 2nd and Ross for a 3rd?

Hard to say without knowing danihers move.

But;
Trade fantasia to crows for pick 30 (at best)
Daniher -> pick 7-20 FA, or trade to lions for Smith and their 1st with a swap of 2nds in 2021
Keep saad.
Trade in another decent sized mid - o'halloran/constable/?
Wright & Brodie for ?

Draft
6-phillips
Daniher pick - o'driscoll or Trew
Academy- brand and eyre

Midfield = merrett, shiel, mcgrath, parish, langford, smith, heppell, brodie, o'halloran, phillips and trew/o'driscoll.

Wright supports stewart and stringer up forward

Focus becomes replacing hooker and hurley as key defensive posts.

Hawthorn won’t place a bid on Campbell. It’s a waste of time.
I don't understand why people think clubs WON'T bid on players?

It's a competitive league. You can't gift advantages to your opposition.

Crows should bid on JUH. Id consider campbell too. Both great talents, you'll have 2 picks and particularly with JUH, if the dogs let it slide (which they wont) you get a top rated key forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crows should bid on JUH. Id consider campbell too. Both great talents, you'll have 2 picks and particularly with JUH, if the dogs let it slide (which they wont) you get a top rated key forward.
Completely agree.

The Crows have a history of bidding, unless they've done a trade with a club that draft (GWS 2019, Syd 2018).

No team will waste the number 1 draft pick on a bid.
That makes less than zero sense.

Are you seriously suggesting a team with not bid on the best player in the draft?

When they could ensure their opposition pays full price? When they can pass the Jack Watts pressure onto another player? When they risk always being known as the club that didn't choose this incredible champion? When they could - maybe, somehow - even get the best player if the team doesn't match?

There is zero reason to gift your opponent enormous advantages, especially if you're a rebuilding club. There is nothing lost, except marketing - which might mean something to a small club in a crowded market, but means nothing to the Crows in 2020.

Are you seriously suggesting a team with not bid on the best player in the draft?

When they could ensure their opposition pays full price? When they can pass the Jack Watts pressure onto another player? When they risk always being known as the club that didn't choose this incredible champion? When they could - maybe, somehow - even get the best player if the team doesn't match?

There is zero reason to gift your opponent enormous advantages, especially if you're a rebuilding club. There is nothing lost, except marketing - which might mean something to a small club in a crowded market, but means nothing to the Crows in 2020.
If you honestly believe that you're delusional.

The number 1 draft pick is mostly used to sell hope for the future. Why would anyone use the first draft pick on a player that won't be there in 2021?

Every club knows this. That's why it won't happen

Tom Green was a top 3 talent last year and clubs let him slip to pick 10. It happens

Adelaide Crows
Current list size: 38/6. 2021 AFL List numbers: 40/2
Picks: 1, 8, 20, 30, 44, 48, 60, 74

FREE AGENTS
B. Crouch - band 1, pick 2
Rory Atkins - band 3, pick 22
Kyle Hartigan - band 5, pick 39

35/6
Picks: 1, 2, 9, 21, 22, 30, 39, 44, 48, 60, 74

DELISTED
Riley Knight
Myles Polholke

Ayce Taylor
Kieran Strauchan
Ben Crocker
Patrick Wilson

PAYOUT
Bryce Gibbs
Ben Davis

31/2

TRADES IN
Jackson Hately for pick 30
Tom Sparrow for pick 39
Orazio Fantasia for pick 44
Pick 1 to North Melbourne for picks 3 and 26

34/2
Picks: 2, 3, 9, 21, 22, 26, 48, 60, 74

TRADES OUT
Paul Seedsman and 74 - to Melb, pick 47
Jake Kelly and 47 to Western Bulldogs for 37
Future 3rd to Geelong for pick 35

22, 37, 48 and no bid to WB for 13

32/1
Picks: 2, 3, 9, 13, 21, 26, 35, 60

5 picks, 3 NGAs and 1 Rookie

Draft Elijah Hollands, Riley Thilthorpe, Tanner Bruhn, Archie Perkins, Caleb Poulter, plus Newchurch, Edwards, Borlase

If you honestly believe that you're delusional.

The number 1 draft pick is mostly used to sell hope for the future. Why would anyone use the first draft pick on a player that won't be there in 2021?

Every club knows this. That's why it won't happen
What the * are you talking about?

This is competitive sport, not Olympic-level cuddles.

Any list manager who doesn't pick the best player because he wants people on Facebook to post hopeful memes would be so desperately incompetent that he should be blacklisted from the league.

That is ESPECIALLY true when you can prevent your competitors from getting an advantage.

The Bulldogs need to give the Crows a reason not to bid. Just being hopeful that Adelaide will throw them a favour - especially after underpaying for Keath last year - seems delusional.

You're living in a fantasy world if you think clubs won't bid just because they want extra attention the next day.

What the fu** are you talking about?

This is competitive sport, not Olympic-level cuddles.

Any list manager who doesn't pick the best player because he wants people on Facebook to post hopeful memes would be so desperately incompetent that he should be blacklisted from the league.

That is ESPECIALLY true when you can prevent your competitors from getting an advantage.

The Bulldogs need to give the Crows a reason not to bid. Just being hopeful that Adelaide will throw them a favour - especially after underpaying for Keath last year - seems delusional.

You're living in a fantasy world if you think clubs won't bid just because they want extra attention the next day.
Wanna make a bet? I guarantee he won't be bid on by the Crows. No strings. Yes or no.

I think Broad will go to the GC for a pick in the 30’s
Markov will be a pick in the 50’s or 60’s to the blues.
Stack and CCJ will be interesting to watch. I hope they stay as they have heaps of potential.
Maurice Rioli Jnr will be coming as a late pick/rookie
I think we need another key forward to take over from Jack in 1-2 years
Caddy is one to watch imo. He could be on the way out

Trade in:
O'Halloran
Constable/Ely Smith

Trade out:
Fantasia (a 3-way trade to land O'Halloran)
Daniher (Geelong or Brisbane's first rounder + Constable/Ely Smith if we don't get a band 1 compensation). If we get band one compensation, then trade pick 7 for two of Geelong's first rounders.

Draft: Phillips with pick 6 (as Hollands will definitely not make it to our pick) and O'Driscoll with the Geelong/Brisbane first.
Draft NGAs Brand and Eyre.
That's 4 good young mids we can work with + two KPPs. O'Halloran, Constable/Smith and O'Discoll all big bodied inside mids that we can finally use to address our midfield imbalance.

Oh and do everything we can to keep Saad.

Being realistic:
Corr and Williams out through Free Agency.
Hately to Crows.
Should get us two 2nd round picks and one 1st rounder.
We retain everyone else we needed to retain.
Shaw, Mummy, Sauce and Sheridan retire.

We recruit Preuss.
We have plenty of mids and half backs to cover our outgoing players.

our recruiters have done a super job since we got rid of SOS.

Couldn’t agree more.
The Crows would be negligent if they didn’t bid on the most talented kid in the draft. Would you not bid on a young Lance Franklin if he was available in this draft? If the Crows are keen on Hollands what better way to ease the burden of being the no.1 draft pick especially one fighting his way back from a knee reco. All this selling hope crap or hurting the next kid drafted’s feelings is just rubbish. It’s a ruthless business and decisions made at the trade/draft table are for the betterment of the club as a whole, not just one individual. The Adelaide Footballl Club must make the Bulldogs pay top price and I am sure the kid taken at pick 2 and all the supporters of the Crows will understand this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back