Strategy What is your teams ideal draft and trade period in 2020?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you guys are 1 or 2 seasons away from finals. However think you need a couple mature players. Marlion Pickett would be perfect for you. Keep Brayshaw, Cerra and Serong and you're set.
Honestly I reckon their one need would be young key forwards.

I think you guys are 1 or 2 seasons away from finals. However think you need a couple mature players. Marlion Pickett would be perfect for you. Keep Brayshaw, Cerra and Serong and you're set.
Pickett is exactly the type I want us to avoid.

The ideal?

1. Williams as a FA
2. Saad for a later first
3. Papley for a 2020 late first and the 2021 first

Papley isn't going to happen, therefore -

1. Williams as a FA
3. The other late first to be traded off for a 2021 1st
4. Second rounder for a quality KPD. Carlton needs a back up.

That would leave Carlton with 2 * 2021 1st rounders and the money and ability to target another quality FA

I'll be happy if we just avoid bringing in any mediocre players and blokes with baggage. Probably best not to trade for players at all.
Said every Port fan the moment Fantasia said he was keen

The ideal?

1. Williams as a FA
3. Papley for a 2020 late first and the 2021 first

Papley isn't going to happen, therefore -

1. Williams as a FA
3. The other late first to be traded off for a 2021 1st
4. Second rounder for a quality KPD. Carlton needs a back up.

That would leave Carlton with 2 * 2021 1st rounders and the money and ability to target another quality FA

where are these two late firsts coming from?

currently no team has multiple late firsts to trade for your pick 8 if that is what you are thinking.

also its very hard to imagine a team then trading a 2021 1st for a late 2020 1st.

currently no team has multiple late firsts to trade for your pick 8 if that is what you are thinking.

also its very hard to imagine a team then trading a 2021 1st for a late 2020 1st.

There are currently two teams that have two late firsts; Geelong & Brisbane.
Carlton have already been in conversation with Geelong in regards to a trade.
* The trade would be #7 for the two later first rounders.

It's not hard to imagine at all. GC traded a future #11 for Geelong's pick #27 last year.
It all depends on who may be there.

He thinks they can flip 7 to Geelong for two of their three late picks. Just cos.

Also Brisbane have 16 and 17

There are currently two teams that have two late firsts; Geelong & Brisbane.
Carlton have already been in conversation with Geelong in regards to a trade.

It's not hard to imagine at all. GC traded a future #11 for Geelong's pick #27 last year.
It all depends on who may be there.

you're right Brisbane do have 2 late 1sts.

Geelong has 2 mid draft picks and one late pick. 11 13 18. I don't consider 13 that late when you're talking about pick 8.

I don't know anything about this deal but if I had 13 and 18 I wouldn't come close to considering swapping them for 8 in this draft. I imagine blues send another pick.

I can't imagine any team swapping a 2021 1st for a late 2020 1st. the difference between these two drafts is staggering.

you're right Brisbane do have 2 late 1sts.

Geelong has 2 mid draft picks and one late pick. 11 13 18. I don't consider 13 that late when you're talking about pick 8.

I don't know anything about this deal but if I had 13 and 18 I wouldn't come close to considering swapping them for 8 in this draft. I imagine blues send another pick.

I can't imagine any team swapping a 2021 1st for a late 2020 1st. the difference between these two drafts is staggering.

It all depends on who may be there for Geelong.
If they want Bruhn for instance (or Henry) and know they can get him with a #7 but not with the #11, then why not?

In regards to a pick swap? It may depend on the night as was the case last year.
Again, if a player you want slides to the pick Carlton holds and if you're a Geelong, Brisbane, Richmond etc....you do the deal.

I simply put forward what I'd consider to be ideal. Never said it would come about :)

I have updated my wants based on more recent information.

This is under the assumption the Swans lose Aliir to Port Adelaide who are sniffing around

Aliir for pick 26 and Sam Hayes

Then trade our a 2021 second rounder for a 2020 second rounder.

That means we have

Picks 3, 22, 26 (some 2020 second rounder), 52, 56

Trade pick 26 for Charlie Constable.

Then

Pick 3 - Phillips

Match bids Campbell and Gulden

Get Thorne as a rookie, and with our picks hope they are enough points wise for both players.

That means

Out
2020 draft picks
2021 second rounder
Aliir

In
Constable
Hayes
Phillips
Campbell
Gulden
Thorne

This is under the assumption the Swans lose Aliir to Port Adelaide who are sniffing around

That means we have

Then

Pick 3 - Phillips

Get Thorne as a rookie, and with our picks hope they are enough points wise for both players.

That means

Out
2020 draft picks
2021 second rounder
Aliir

In
Constable
Hayes
Phillips
Campbell
Gulden
Thorne

Are Sydney likely to take DGB over Holland/Phillips or do you see the Swans opting for another midfielder? I think Sydney already has good enough midfield depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are Sydney likely to take DGB over Holland/Phillips or do you see the Swans opting for another midfielder? I think Sydney already has good enough midfield depth.

THe Swans are okay in the midfield in some areas, but there is one area we are terrible at and that is a clearance midfielder. We don't really need a Hollands type, sure he is good but we don't have a real need for him. We do have a massive need for a clearance player like Phillips though as other than Kennedy who is not exactly a spring chicken anymore we don't really have anyone.

In my opinion I think the Swans first target would be Phillips, but if he is taken before pick 3 (or pick 4 depending on if Adelaide get pick 2) then I could see us going for DGB as a second option.

Pick 7 for Danihar..... useful!!!

Hopefully we get Fantasia done early. Happy to take pick 28 and 56 for Fantasia and 47 (port will want to maintain some point for academy picks... as will we.)

Reckon we play peace maker between GWS and Cats when the Cameron bid is matched. Trade out pick 7 and 56 to Geelong for 13 and 20. geelong can use 7 and a future first for Cameron. Think we could probably leave pick 20 in GWS's hands for Caldwell.

Saad and 28 can go to Carlton for 8 and 50

Current draft hand 6,8,13,50,66,72,77.

Find it difficult to see Dunkley getting done unless we can agree on a dodgy 'handshake scenario.' Reckon we offer our future first and future 2nd to the dogs then on draft night, after they have matched a bid for JUH we trade pick 8 this year, back for ours or their future 1st. This might appeal as its a top 10 pick this year after matching on the likely #1 pick with another pick, probably in the early 20's next year.

Trade a future 4th to GC to wright and absorb his whole salary, suspect GC need a salary dump there.

Net outcome is out saad, danihar, fantasia, pick 47, future 2nd and future 4th. In 13, 50, dunkley, caldwell and wright

Find it difficult to see Dunkley getting done unless we can agree on a dodgy 'handshake scenario.' Reckon we offer our future first and future 2nd to the dogs then on draft night, after they have matched a bid for JUH we trade pick 8 this year, back for ours or their future 1st. This might appeal as its a top 10 pick this year after matching on the likely #1 pick with another pick, probably in the early 20's next year.

Agree that it's hard to see a Dunkley deal get done unless it's maybe first round pick this year plus future first and future 2nd next year.

Would love us to try and use our other two first rounders this year to try and trade up for Logan Mcdonald whether the Dunkley deal gets done or not.

Saints, Trade Ins: Constable, Crouch, Higgins, McKernan. Draft: Baldwin, Bowey, Crossley, McCrae, Treacy, H.Walsh.

That means we have

Then

Pick 3 - Phillips

That means

Out
2020 draft picks
2021 second rounder
Aliir

In
Constable
Hayes
Phillips
Campbell
Gulden
Thorne
I'd friggin love that Aliir trade.

Last few days before (trade week) Christmas... like most trade weeks a stack to be done and the cameron and saad deals are probably the key to most of the domino's falling. The only quick and easy trade I foresee in the next day or so is brown to Melbourne for pick 26, if the Witherden ends up on his way to WC 34 probably gets in done there too. Hately to adel, caldwell to ess, higgins to geel, pruess to GWS, cockatoo to bris probably all happen afternoon cameron and saad get done.

The ideal - Future first rounder out of port (likely 15-18) for fantasia, our future 2nd (likely 25-28) back. Port throw in 57 (their 3 x earlier picks will be enough to match for jones) which unlocks 48 for carlton as part of the saad trade which would be 8 for saad and 48.

Pick 8 to pies, pies send treloar or stephenson (if essendon can convince dogs to convince either of them to commit to the kennel) and pick 42 to dogs and dunkly to essendon. Given age, contract status and impact on salary cap think treloar and stephenson have similar value with dunkley slightly higher.

Split pick 7 to geelong for 13 and 20. Trade 20 to GWS for Caldwell (given the reports second rd pick for him is now with port).

What I think is reasonable - if port are offering 29 for fantasia, take it. If Carlton have 8 on the table to saad but want 48 back, do it.

To get in the theme of the season it's 'Mega Trade' time -

Ess out - 7, 29 and future 1st Ess in caldwell, dunkley, 13 (geel) and 54 (dogs)
Geelong out 13,20,38 and future first Geelong in Cameron, Higgins
North out - higgins North in 29 (ess)
GWS out cameron, caldwell GWS in 7 (ess), 20 (geel) and future 1st (geel)
Dogs out dunkley, 54 Dogs in future 1st (ess) and 38 (geel)

I can see dogs fans crying hear as they love Dunkley, who wouldn't! But you net 240 extra points for JUH which reduced the potential deficit in years draft. And pick 5-8 next year is reasonable for a guy who is behind bont, smith and macrae and won't push libba out of the centre square as your main inside bull. Use it for the key back you desperately need!

Use 6, 8 and 13 on the best kids you can get. pick 54 and our other late picks can be used to match for Brand and Erye. Maybe even see if Collingwood are willing to look at 13 from this year for their 1st next year, which they are looking for move.

Ideal:
Dunkley, caldwell, wright in
Still hold 6 and our future 1st
Land port future 1st for fantasia and future 2nd

Likely
We lose our future 1st but hold 6 and 7, and either gain pick 8, carlton future 1st or dogs future 2nd.
Fantasia for port 2nd in either year (they seem to be being generous)
Reckon we'll add one or both of Hind and Ronke

Not too unhappy with our outcomes.
Ideally our drafting looks to fix the backline gaps.

Trade Period:
Fantasia for Port's 28
Saad & Port's 28 for Carlton's 8
Split 7 or 8 with Geelong for 13 & 20
Trade 13 or 20 for Caldwell
Trade 7 or 8 (whichever didn't go to Geelong) and future first round to WB for Dunkley and future 2nd round
Trade future 3rd for Peter Wright

Overall Ins:
*13 or 20 (whichever we don't use for Caldwell)
Dunkley
Caldwell
Wright

Overall Outs
Fantasia
Saad
This year's pick 7
Next year's first round pick

Still leaves us pick 6 and either 13 or 20 this year meaning we have used 2 first round picks in 4 years and are able to trade next year's first round pick.

Doggies can then use pick 7 how they wish ie: Treloar or next year's Collingwood first round pick etc, Geelong have a pick in the top 10 for Cameron and move higher than GWS in draft order if Cameron walks.

Trade Period:
Fantasia for Port's 28
Trade 7 or 8 (whichever didn't go to Geelong) and future first round to WB for Dunkley and future 2nd round

Overall Ins:
Dunkley
Caldwell
Wright

Overall Outs
Fantasia
Saad
This year's pick 7

Still leaves us pick 6 and either 13 or 20 this year meaning we have used 2 first round picks in 4 years and are able to trade next year's first round pick.

Doggies can then use pick 7 how they wish ie: Treloar or next year's Collingwood first round pick etc, Geelong have a pick in the top 10 for Cameron and move higher than GWS in draft order if Cameron walks.
Stop being sensible please.

Trade Period:
Fantasia for Port's 28

Overall Ins:
Dunkley
Caldwell
Wright

Overall Outs
Fantasia
Saad
This year's pick 7

Pass. We're likely to finish bottom 6, I'd rather get a future first and ontrade that in the Dunkley deal

Us trading our AFL licence to Tasmania in exchange for a carton of Mercury cider would be a good result IMO.

It would never happen but I'd like to see Adelaide trade picks 1 & 23 for Sydney's 3 and 2021 1st

This absolutely guarantees Sydney McDonald and Campbell this year (pick 23 helps with points)
Crows still get one of Thilthorpe or Hollands and have a chance at a good 2021 1st when there are a few SA lads projected to be top 10 rated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back