What just happened? The Shane Edwards freak show

Remove this Banner Ad

Every now and then, not often you come across a player so slight of hand, so efficient that you barely see it. They go through a career doing this so well that nobody even notices, no carry on from commentators like a Dusty or a Danger but just loved and appreciated by supporters and lovers of the game without the fanfare.
Usually this is for brilliant players who play an unfulfilled 80 odd game career but rarely one who plays over 200 games and in 2 premierships.
Just watching a replay of the prelim where Shedda nails Lambert in the last quarter followed by an amazing dummy and signature rocket handball out of the centre it made me think? Had there ever been a more under appreciated and underrated player by the media and footy fans not Richmond aligned?
His 2017 GF was off the charts for one and never got mentioned and 2019 was not far behind.
Can you think of a player similar at another club so good yet so unrecognized in your time? And what is your favorite Shedda game or moment not afforded the plaudits of others?
The guy is special.
Been a favourite of mine since I first saw him play. At the GF in 2017 I had him BOG, he took over in the midfield in the second quarter after Adelaide had control. I didn't change my mind after any of the dozen times I watched the replay. A special player.

A favourite Shedda moment - not the, but my first, initial one - first game I saw him play: I was in Port Douglas, watching the late delayed telecast at 11pm or something. It might have been his second game but first I'd seen, v Adelaide in the wet. All 68kg of him outmarked his opponent, played on, ran around him making him look stupid, bounced the ball in a puddle, it came up to his shin, he got tackled, holding the ball. Haters would have used this as an example of 'Shank', I immediately texted my brother and said, "We've got one here. This Edwards kid is a star."

Dimma mentioned that Shed is the best centre clearance player per minutes spent in the centre in the league. We are lucky to have a player like him that we can put in virtually any part of the ground.
Procrastinator35

Wow ...That's an amazing statistic, incredible even.....You've totally convinced me now that Edwards is clearly the superior footballer to Rioli.

And with that convince, I am now forced to replace Maurice in the centre of my greatest idigenous side ever, with the clearly superior Shedda.

Cheers for enlightening me as to the obvious error of my ways, masseur Proust.

Shane Edwards is efficiency in motion, that’s why he is so slick and it’s also why he doesn’t get noticed as much as the more flamboyant players.

I bet if you were to note his imput he would surely rank right up there with the best.

Someone on here asked me why l rate him in our top five players?
Because he can play HF to HB and be mr fix it and polish it up after he is done.

How many of our rookies get to learn off players like him.....very lucky bunch and we are lucky to watch him play.

Not only that but he said (leading up to the 2017 GF) that he thought why not us? That was at a time that making the GF would be a dream let alone win it.

Wow ...That's an amazing statistic, incredible even.....You've totally convinced me now that Edwards is clearly the superior footballer to Rioli.

And with that convince, I am now forced to replace Maurice in the centre of my greatest idigenous side ever, with the clearly superior Shedda.

Well sarcasm aside, to be the no. 1 clearance player in the league on time spent in there is not a bad stat to have for a bloke that plays half forward, half back, midfield wing or wherever. Neither is a fourth B & F (2017) third (2018) and second (2019), 2 of them in Premiership seasons. He also has an AA.

Read the posts here, he is receiving rather flattering accolades, many from posters who previously didn't rate him. Obviously Cyril was a great player, but Edwards sits just behind Maurice Rioli now.

Which Rioli are you referring to?

Because I’d is Cyril, can I kindly ask you to GAGF.

Edwards is twice the footballer Cyril ever was, and he still getting better

Perfect case in point to illustrate the op - can you imagine if Eddie Betts or Cyril did that? Bruce and co barely mentioned how amazing that play was from Shed
it is an issue to a degree and on the op's points, I think Shane is the most talented player that is in the underrated category that I can remember.
i kind of like it though because it echos the whole culture of our current era which is no player is seeking that type of recognition, which doesn't mean it still doesn't p155 off us supporters.
Really the only players we have that are mostly universally acknowledged is Dusty and Lynch imo.

Can't say for sure but there could be some factors that keep my boy Shane out of that category.

he wasn't a high draft pick
doesn't get the big fantasy points
doesn't have a famous name in fact he has plain name
he was a slow burn. was maligned by a reasonable amount of our supporters as he struggled with his kicking early days and really only either hit his straps or started getting noticed from 2017.
he's a quiet unassuming bloke.
doesn't poll well in the brownlow (time to dye the hair blonde)
in general footy supporters and commentators are drawn to the bling. that's why I enjoyed David King as a football analyst in raptures after the 2017 gf because it was all about Shane's unique talent and 'maximum damage'.

it is an issue to a degree and on the op's points, I think Shane is the most talented player that is in the underrated category that I can remember.
i kind of like it though because it echos the whole culture of our current era which is no player is seeking that type of recognition, which doesn't mean it still doesn't p155 off us supporters.
Really the only players we have that are mostly universally acknowledged is Dusty and Lynch imo.

Can't say for sure but there could be some factors that keep my boy Shane out of that category.

he wasn't a high draft pick
doesn't get the big fantasy points
doesn't have a famous name in fact he has plain name
he was a slow burn. was maligned by a reasonable amount of our supporters as he struggled with his kicking early days and really only either hit his straps or started getting noticed from 2017.
he's a quiet unassuming bloke.
doesn't poll well in the brownlow (time to dye the hair blonde)
in general footy supporters and commentators are drawn to the bling. that's why I enjoyed David King as a football analyst in raptures after the 2017 gf because it was all about Shane's unique talent and 'maximum damage'.
I’ll give King credit on the Monday morning after this years GF he was on SEN and just said whatever you do watch the game again and just watch Shane Edwards with his hands because he’s on another level.

keep fighting the good fight here --->

Procrastinator35
is a bum! too

To be fair that’s an amazing *en side.

He’s best chance is to take O’Laughlin or Winmars HF spots. If he keeps going on as he has for say 4-5 years wins another 1-2 flags, 350+ games he gets there. Norm smith there is zero argument

I’ll give King credit on the Monday morning after this years GF he was on SEN and just said whatever you do watch the game again and just watch Shane Edwards with his hands because he’s on another level.
thats good to hear and hopefully still available on podcast cause I missed it. At least Kingy studies the game so would take his opinion over most others.

One of my favourite Shedda moments. 2015 game against GWS at the G and we had been struggling all day. Dimma gave a huge spray at 3qtr time.

Still down by 14 in the last after a gws goal, Shedda roves the centre bounce, sprints off and takes a bounce, runs to 60 and just slams it home. Instant reply. Crowd absolutely errupted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The goal at 1.40 is second only to Cotch QF17 in outright brilliance.

How people can’t rate someone who can do what he does in these highlights is beyond me. And it’s only gotten better since 2015.

Seriously needs someone to edit a crazy highlights vid of him tho.

Needs to be a 25 minute highlights package. Would be one of the best vids on the internet.

I’m loving this thread. We have a player that sees things others simply don’t or can’t.

I’d encourage everyone to watch the GF again and watch around the packs (and not directly the ball). Shedda is a sublimely skilled player, but so smart and tough without the ball. The Hopper bump the obvious one, but taking it up to Toby Greene off the ball and the blocks and bumps at stoppages phenomenal. You’ll see a GWS player stopped in his tracks in the periphery of vision only to rewind and find Shedda has done some hard work...... He really flew the flag for us in a massive way and imposed a physical presence which set the tone. He is a freak with skill, vision, football intelligence and a brilliant touch of mongrel. By far the most underrated player in the league.

(Unfortunately he didn’t lay the best bump of the finals for us. Watch Lynch’s block on Danger in the background for Prestia’s sealing goal in the Prelim. It will make you smile every time you see it.)
Just watched this. Looked like Danger wanted a free too...

This time of the year bores me sh!tless so as you do I watched the 2nd half of the Brisbane and Geelong finals.
The most influential player-Sheds.

His 3rd Q in Brisbane was a master class-6 clearances, so clean and every possession to advantage

But the play that absolutely sums him up was against the Cats. Q4 game in the balance, long ball to Lynch at chf, Sheds in heavy traffic wins possession front and centre, and at full pace hits up Lambert who strolls in for a goal.

He’s an absolute champ who continually delivers on the big stage

Masseur eh....what a genius you are

But he turned it over by foot a lot
Yep I remember it very well. Was such a frustrating player when he was young.
Spot on.
The answer is pretty simple
1. He plays for richmond. So they overlook him.
2. If he had kicked more goals in the past and was a consistent 35 goal a year man the media would be raving about him.

His handball to Marlion in the second quarter Centre clearance. He is about to handball with his left hand backwards then somehow switches to his right and goes forward to release Marlion who doesn’t break stride. You have to watch very closely as it happens so quickly. Watched both 2017/19 many times and now feel he should have two Norm Smiths!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back