What just happened? The Shane Edwards freak show

Remove this Banner Ad

His handball to Marlion in the second quarter Centre clearance. He is about to handball with his left hand backwards then somehow switches to his right and goes forward to release Marlion who doesn’t break stride. You have to watch very closely as it happens so quickly. Watched both 2017/19 many times and now feel he should have two Norm Smiths!

Yeah saw that one, sheds is very tricky by hand or foot
Best footballing brain in our team, so creative
His hit on hopper and the tackle on greene, brutal
Does things that 99% of AFL players can only dream of, a fantastic person as well
Will be afforded legend status when he finishes his career, maybe even a immortal

His handball to Marlion in the second quarter Centre clearance. He is about to handball with his left hand backwards then somehow switches to his right and goes forward to release Marlion who doesn’t break stride. You have to watch very closely as it happens so quickly. Watched both 2017/19 many times and now feel he should have two Norm Smiths!
Nice post.

I do marvel at some big footy posters or at least accounts used.
So joined in July 2008, club is Lions yet your first post on the forum is in the off season on the Richmond board in a Shane Edwards thread!!!!o_O

Nice post but.

Geez, had no idea it was that long ago I signed up! Yep, never posted till today. Had kids and only just recovered! Don’t know how the lions thing got in there? Not to savvy with all the gimmickry! Tiger, thru and thru. Grew up going to all the local grounds waiting for my old man to nail a few cans so I could stand on them and see the game! Wouldn’t of got fed as a kid if didn’t follow the tigers! Will try and change the logo thing but it mite take me another 11 years!

The goal at 1.40 is second only to Cotch QF17 in outright brilliance.

How people can’t rate someone who can do what he does in these highlights is beyond me. And it’s only gotten better since 2015.

Seriously needs someone to edit a crazy highlights vid of him tho.
That goal at 1:40 is insane!

Don't care if other teams don't rate or pay him attention. Do care we drafted him & at RFC he's highly valued in many ways. Me I've always loved him. Sure had his down games or made errors, but you can always see him thinking how to best help the team & is very good in the clinches & the outside....Mr versatile

I'm not complaining about rules and punishments or anything here, just thought it was funny.
Screenshot_2019-10-20-11-20-32-50.png

Posted something along the lines of "shedda is better than cyril" in 2 hawthorn threads. I played it less aggressive and more jokingly but I believed it, and fun seemed to be had by all except one who didn't get the joke.

I lay down at the feet of shedda as a martyr.

this play in the 2018 dreamtime game (2:31 left in the 2nd quarter)
giphy.gif

Been a favourite of mine since I first saw him play. At the GF in 2017 I had him BOG, he took over in the midfield in the second quarter after Adelaide had control. I didn't change my mind after any of the dozen times I watched the replay. A special player.

A favourite Shedda moment - not the, but my first, initial one - first game I saw him play: I was in Port Douglas, watching the late delayed telecast at 11pm or something. It might have been his second game but first I'd seen, v Adelaide in the wet. All 68kg of him outmarked his opponent, played on, ran around him making him look stupid, bounced the ball in a puddle, it came up to his shin, he got tackled, holding the ball. Haters would have used this as an example of 'Shank', I immediately texted my brother and said, "We've got one here. This Edwards kid is a star."

In his early games i thought he was just another crumbing forward but I saw him shoot out a handpass through an incredibly small gap in a pack situation at the Gee later that first season, and thought the same as you...'he's not a crumbing forward at all!'

this play in the 2018 dreamtime game (2:31 left in the 2nd quarter)
giphy.gif
Edwards is the undisputed king at Richmond for sneaky little passes like that, but it appears to be rubbing off, especially on the younger indigenous kids which is exciting. Our whole team has become pretty good at it, but whenever it comes from Edwards it is always so much more impressive.

Edwards is the undisputed king at Richmond for sneaky little passes like that, but it appears to be rubbing off, especially on the younger indigenous kids which is exciting. Our whole team has become pretty good at it, but whenever it comes from Edwards it is always so much more impressive.
I'm hoping that Bolton will eventually take his place...similar smarts I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah the only thing he is missing really is that ability to seemingly slow down time for himself. It will come.
Actually reminds me a lot of Shedda in that regard. His first few seasons often his brain would be way ahead of himself and he’d * simple things up but it came with experience.

Actually reminds me a lot of Shedda in that regard. His first few seasons often his brain would be way ahead of himself and he’d fu** simple things up but it came with experience.
Yeah I'm happy to put up with that if it means we have another Edwards.

All the Shedda magic + he's now a genuine leader. He could step right in as captain and we'd not miss a trick. Outside the club he's thought of as a good footballer. But we know he does things that are almost impossible, and does them often. But he's slowly gone from crumbing forward, to outside mid, to anywhere mid, to quarterback defender, to wherever, whenever, whatever. When things are tough for us I watch for Cotch and Sheds. I love Dusty, but the Captain and Shedda can tear a game out from the opposition and turn it our way. Only the very best can do that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back