What just happened? The Shane Edwards freak show

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli
The man, the legend. Quite possibly the most underrated super star in the AFL. He is a super star because of how much difference he makes to the best team in the land. An underrated because most people don't even realise he's a star, much less a super star.

And yeah, Bachar, legend as well.

anyone who questions that now I just send them off to watch the 2nd half vs Lions QF.

He tore Brisbane apart through the midfield every bit as much as Dusty did up forward.

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
MAGIC!:) :trophy: :footy::richmond:

My Story: Shane Edwards opens up on ‘mythical ceature’ Bachar Houli, Richmond’s two flags and the best he’s played with
As a junior Shane Edwards writes there was always whispers about a kid in Melbourne nicknamed ‘basher - who would kick 20 goals a game and get in fights. He soon realised he was the nicest person you could ever met.
Shane Edwards, Sunday Herald Sun
Subscriber only
|
March 14, 2020 6:00pm
Close

FOXSPORTS2:39
AFL's COVID-19 plan explained
AFL: The AFL might start next Thursday, but fans won't be permitted to attend the opening rounds due to the threat of coronavirus.

similars

BY the time I had turned 10 or 11, my future premiership teammate Bachar Houli was already a legend in Adelaide.
Not that he would have known it.
Growing up in South Australia and playing junior footy with the mighty Golden Grove Kookaburras, there were whispers about a kid in Melbourne called Bachar who was apparently as big as everyone’s dad.
The story went he would kick 20 goals a game and get in fights with not just players from the opposing teams, but their parents as well.
We heard the name Bachar was actually a nickname as in “Basher”, because he liked to bash people.
He became this almost mythical creature from the home of footy in Victoria where kids were bigger and nastier.
Watch every match of every round of the 2020 Toyota AFL Premiership Season LIVE & On-Demand with KAYO. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >
Shane Edwards lines up for goal as a junior playign in the SANFL. Picture: Stephen Laffer
Shane Edwards lines up for goal as a junior playign in the SANFL. Picture: Stephen Laffer
Shane Edwards for South Australia. Picture: Cathy Davis
Shane Edwards for South Australia. Picture: Cathy Davis
To all of us he sounded terrifying and over the years the legend only grew.
This rumour started in under-12s and went all the way through to under-15s.

I remember then seeing him for the first time a few years later and thinking, ‘Wow, that’s Bachar Houli, he’s a real person!’
He had muscles and facial hair before anyone else, and then I met him and soon realised he’s the nicest guy you’ll ever come across.
I quickly realised he’s the last person in the world to enjoy bashing people or getting in a fight with anyone’s parents.
But one part of the legend actually was true – he was often kicking 20 goals a game in the juniors.
We came across each other again at the AFL draft camp in Canberra in 2006 and we were in a similar group — medium forwards.
We did the beep test, which was my first and thankfully my last time I had to go through that.
I was only 65kg at the time so I think I won it or came close to winning it.
The next day we had the 3km time-trial and I also did well on that because again I was so light.
I remember actually beating Bachar and afterwards he made a point of coming over to me.
“Well done mate, great run,” he said.
Everyone was obviously really competitive and here was the one guy actually being nice and respectful to everyone else.
Bachar Houli congradulates Shane Edwards after their beep test at the 2006 AFL Draft camp.
Bachar Houli congradulates Shane Edwards after their beep test at the 2006 AFL Draft camp.
Yep, the very same “Basher” I’d heard all those tall tales about years earlier.
Later on when he joined me at Richmond after leaving Essendon, I quickly realised he was a much better runner than me.
He absolutely blossomed when he hit the AFL system, whereas I’ve pretty much kept the same time and had to add weight on.
I never would have thought I would play in two flags with “Basher”, my junior footy bogyman from Victoria who turned out to be by far the nicest guy I’ve ever met.
SuperCoach_Banner_650_80_v2 (1).jpg
2a49388f5a5de3429a9023365b3adee7

EARLY DAYS AT PUNT RD
I’LL never forget my early days at Tigerland at the end of 2006.
I’d just been drafted, it was my first day at the club and I’d been handed the No.10 jumper, which had last been worn by 203cm ruckman Greg Stafford.
At the time they still only had the No.10 jumper in his size and I had to pose up in it.
I was just swimming in this jumper. I looked horrible.
I was 65kg, had never lifted a weight in my life to that point.
I looked absolutely awful.
If I was the club I would have undrafted me and sent me packing back to South Australia on a one-way ticket immediately.
Despite that incident, my early days there were incredible and I just remember constantly being in awe.
At the time the facilities at Punt Rd weren’t what they are today.
I remember thinking that my old SANFL club North Adelaide boasted better digs than this historic AFL club.
Often we would find possum poo on the floor of the gym in the mornings.
It didn’t bother me. I was at an AFL club and walking the hallways with the likes of Matthew Richardson.
Edwards after being drafted by the Tigers.
Edwards after being drafted by the Tigers.
MORE AFL NEWS:
When will Tiger Army see their flag unfurled?
Will AFL fans get Round 1 refund?
AFL’s radical draft solution to coronavirus crisis
JACK AND I
I WAS drafted to Richmond alongside Jack Riewoldt, but that was not the first time I met him.
We had crossed paths months earlier at the AFL draft camp and you couldn’t miss him.
He was the loudest kid by a mile, cracking jokes with all the coaches while everyone else was just afraid of their own shadow.
Early in Jack’s career, the older guys probably would have thought, “Who is this loud and confident kid?”
That is just Jack though, and he’s never been afraid to speak up.
He was an absolute gun straight away, even though it took him a few years to get regular games because “Richo” was there.
He is just the smartest player and I remember years ago we would call him footy’s “Rain Man” because he just knew where the footy was always going to go.
The only problem with fitting into game plans is Jack is smart enough to almost beat the system and just kick a goal.
It’s almost like stopping him from kicking a goal and playing into the system, because he’s just ridiculously smart.
I fully believe that if Jack had just played in the midfield from day one he’d probably be one of the best mids in the comp. He’s just good at everything.
We’ve experienced the ups and downs at the club together for almost 15 years.
We’ve got our inside jokes and it’s good knowing that when we talk about stories from Richmond back in the day, Jack knows exactly what I’m talking about.
The Tigers’ 2006 draft class - including Jack Riewoldt (middle back) and Shane Edwards (front right).
The Tigers’ 2006 draft class - including Jack Riewoldt (middle back) and Shane Edwards (front right).
THE TRANSFORMATION AT PUNT RD
I PLAYED almost seven seasons of AFL before playing my first final.
Before that, I would sit on the couch at my parents’ home in Adelaide and watch the teams run around in September.
My off-season had already started and here were these players all finding another gear with everything on the line.
I remember thinking, “I’m buggered, the season was that hard. I have no idea about how those blokes are playing finals”.
Then once you’re in it you realise it’s largely the adrenaline that carries you through.
The difference of having a positive season rather than a negative one is actually refreshing.
The transformation at Richmond in my time has been incredible.
The journey has been gradual in terms of improving facilities, then slowly making finals every now and then or not making it to making finals regularly.
Now I feel surprised if we lose two games in a row.
Back in the day, I was just happy to be playing and to be out there.
It’s different these days.
The system is working really well and it’s a happy environment and very progressive.
tips strip experts.jpg
2e039b36921629be6414236222f99429

PREMIERSHIPS
THE first flag in 2017 was just surreal, I couldn’t believe it.
Even after the game at functions and the after party, my partner Sam or my dad or brother would say to me: “You just won the Grand Final.”
Those words would almost shock me again and make me think, “How did we do that?”
The whole month of finals went so quick it was just perfect.
The flag last September felt different.
I can’t think of it without thinking of Marlion Pickett.
Having him play almost took the attention away from the gravity of the event.
It changed the mindset a lot because you wanted to help Marlion just be comfortable.
It diverted a bit of your attention to look outside yourself and it probably really helped us calm the nerves.
It was extraordinary.
You wouldn’t think winning the Grand Final would almost be second-place news on the day.
Coach Damien Hardwick, Shane Edwards and captain Trent Cotchin with the 2019 premiership cup. Picture: Michael Klein.
Coach Damien Hardwick, Shane Edwards and captain Trent Cotchin with the 2019 premiership cup. Picture: Michael Klein.
BEST I’VE PLAYED WITH
IN my time at the club, I’ve played with some truly remarkable players.
It’s almost impossible to split them, but three players come to mind.
“Dusty” Martin is probably at the highest peak.
“Richo” is probably the best overall player, but I reckon Riewoldt is the most underrated.
He’s had the highest degree of difficulty in his position for the longest and been the best player at that.
So I’d almost say Riewoldt is the best, just by the fact he’s an undersized key forward who’s held the fort down for years and thrived at it.
THE FUTURE
I’M contracted for this season and the next, so I like to think I’ve still got plenty of football left in me.
Although, I must admit I have an eye on the future.
Recruitment and list management is an area I’m interested in and I’ve been doing a fair bit of stuff with our recruiters the past couple of years, going out watching under-18 games.
I’ve been learning a lot and hopefully I can transition into something like that after footy because I’m really interested in that side of the game.
I tell you what, I reckon he would make a great recruiter. Early days, but I'd love to have him finding young Shane Edwards for us.

I tell you what, I reckon he would make a great recruiter. Early days, but I'd love to have him finding young Shane Edwards for us.

I reckon he'll see things other recruiters wouldn't see. His vision and ability to know what's going on before anyone else is amazing. And he's experienced forward, back and in the middle. He's played defensively, attacking. everything but ruck. If he's analytic, which it sounds like he is, then he could be an amazing recruiter.

May 1, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
4642A0B2-1526-44EF-8DC1-3D06502B8DFD.jpeg

085C77B4-6143-4648-865E-7C06E0F0F837.jpeg

If I was a chick with ovaries I’m pretty sure they would be exploding right now.

Welcome back dual premiership dreamboat Shedda. 💕

NEW TIGER DAD READY TO HIT GROUND RUNNNING

Premiership Tiger Shane Edwards wants to play as soon as he steps out of quarantine.

New dad Edwards – who donned newborn baby Mya in a carrier as he jetted to Gold Coast on Tuesday – will complete 14 days of quarantine in the league’s third transition hub before rejoining his teammates.

He’ll train alongside dual Brownlow medallist Gary Ablett and Saint Dan Hannebery to name a few, with former Cat Andrew Mackie flying up with Ablett as a training partner.

And Edwards said he’ll be ready to learn, too.

“It’s going to be good – I can’t wait to see what I can learn from them, and we’ve got (development coach) Sam Lonergan coming up from Richmond as well, so we’ve had a good training block,” he said.

The Tigers are set to soon be bolstered by Edwards’ return. Picture: Michael Klein
The Tigers are set to soon be bolstered by Edwards’ return. Picture: Michael Klein

“We’re going to be training as hard as we can and getting ready for the season ahead.

“We’ll just try and get ready and see if I can get picked for (Round 18).”

He admitted the situation was “a bit surreal” as he adjusts to fatherhood, with partner Sam also making the journey north.

“A lack of sleep, but getting used to it … all the perks you get with it,” he smiled with pride.

He said he would be physically ready for a pre-finals match before launching into October action.

“That’s what I’m hoping for,” Edwards said.

“The boys are really going well at the moment and at the moment it looks like it’ll be really hard for a spot. I’m going to have to train as hard as I can, that’s for sure.”

blaisee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None

Sheds is a victim of doing things on a football field our mere mortal eyes can barely catch. He may be the best player of all time but nobody would ever know.

giphy-1.gif

View attachment 950923

View attachment 950924

If I was a chick with ovaries I’m pretty sure they would be exploding right now.

Premiership Tiger Shane Edwards wants to play as soon as he steps out of quarantine.

New dad Edwards – who donned newborn baby Mya in a carrier as he jetted to Gold Coast on Tuesday – will complete 14 days of quarantine in the league’s third transition hub before rejoining his teammates.

He’ll train alongside dual Brownlow medallist Gary Ablett and Saint Dan Hannebery to name a few, with former Cat Andrew Mackie flying up with Ablett as a training partner.

“It’s going to be good – I can’t wait to see what I can learn from them, and we’ve got (development coach) Sam Lonergan coming up from Richmond as well, so we’ve had a good training block,” he said.

“We’re going to be training as hard as we can and getting ready for the season ahead.

He admitted the situation was “a bit surreal” as he adjusts to fatherhood, with partner Sam also making the journey north.

“A lack of sleep, but getting used to it … all the perks you get with it,” he smiled with pride.

He said he would be physically ready for a pre-finals match before launching into October action.

“The boys are really going well at the moment and at the moment it looks like it’ll be really hard for a spot. I’m going to have to train as hard as I can, that’s for sure.”

551352_9fd1aa0deb10feb80ea316f5e6f7ce6d.gif

View attachment 950923

View attachment 950924

Lol as if he’s going to have trouble getting his spot back. That’s what I love about Shedda, he’s so humble.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Sheds is a victim of doing things on a football field our mere mortal eyes can barely catch. He may be the best player of all time but nobody would ever know.
We don't.
It's a disgrace only 9 pages of the great man sheds.
Yet we have 20+ on Vickery.

Sep 11, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Storm|V/OzCricket|NBA-P|NHL-P|V8|F1
Jun 16, 2020
Munted
AFL Club
Richmond
Back