What kind of footy is the best kind of footy?

Remove this Banner Ad

As the skills of players and the rules of the game evolve, so does the style of play that we watch every week. There are three categories that I think help to organise and order each game:

Category 1 - Style

Attacking -
The teams are looking to move the ball fast and through the corridor. Scoring is the main objective. Don't stop a goal, kick one yourself

Defensive -
The teams try to maintain possession and score only when it is highly likely to result in a goal. Kicking backwards and sideways in the back 50 are common. Letting the opposition score is a big no-no

Category 2 - Scoring

Low -
The teams are looking to hold the ball up and play to a defensive game plan
Winning team scores: 60-80
Aggregate: 100-140

Mid -
The teams move the ball when possible, switching between attacking and defensive depending on momentum
Winning team scores: 80-110
Aggregate: 160-190

High -
Teams play an attacking game style, fast movement straight up the corridor. Scoring is key. If the opposition kicks a goal, just kick one yourself
Winning team scores: 110+
Aggregate: 190+

Category 3 - Margin

Close -
Both teams go goal for goal all day. The game is a cliffhanger, could go either way
Margin: 0-15 points

Mid -
The game is not completely out of reach for the opposition, but the winning team is usually pretty comfortable late in the game
Margin: 15-40 points

Blowout -
One team has dominated all day. The other team was never really a chance
Margin: 40-100 points

Demolition -
The opposition might as well have stayed home. Game over at quarter time
Margin: 100+

Personally, my favourite types of game is one that is attacking, high scoring and close. What are your thoughts? What style do you prefer to watch?

Anything but the endless congested sh!t.

Not every game has to be a shoot-out, but if the umps simply penalised the player not getting the ball out, it would open the game up massively. The players would get the message, they would spread out to give their team mates options. It would make a huge difference if the umps simply implimented the rules we already have. No need to change anything much really.

But now the AFL have said ruckman can grab the ball without getting penalised? Here comes more ball-ups.... absolute knobs, no idea.

I enjoy three types of games looking at that list

Attacking - mid - close
Attacking - high - demolition
Defensive - mid - close

I actually hate
Attacking - high - close
It’s just like basketball. May as well watch the nrl for their 2 hour coverage, then flick over to the footy in the last quarter when it’s still close and the result is on the line. First 3 quarters are just a waste of time getting to the destination.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anything that means something really. Hawks v Geelong is a must, port v Freo umm darl does the garage need cleaning.

I like a combination. Like the GF really, almost the perfect game for me.
Periods where scoring is happening freely
Tight, contested periods where no one can score
Both teams fairly attacking with the ball, and also attacking without
Ridiculous plays attempted and executed
Don’t particularly mind what happens with the margin throughout the game, close all day, a big comeback, or a game with momentum swings - as long as it’s close at the end.

Final scores don’t care.

I like a combination. Like the GF really, almost the perfect game for me.
Periods where scoring is happening freely
Tight, contested periods where no one can score
Both teams fairly attacking with the ball, and also attacking without
Ridiculous plays attempted and executed
Don’t particularly mind what happens with the margin throughout the game, close all day, a big comeback, or a game with momentum swings - as long as it’s close at the end.

Final scores don’t care.

In a neutral game yeah, absolutely.

When I'm watching my team it's very different. The most enjoyable games I've seen would have been in early 2015 from the stands with a very talented side with no fear. The Orange Tsunani was scintillating when it worked.

Sadly it was never a game plan that could win a flag, or finals. Over committing forward left us badly exposed on the rebound if the ball was turned over. We had to mature and play the percentages to do that, and I much prefer winning more consistently.

The Bombers play on at all costs game plan in 2017 was great to watch as a neutral, as was the Crows skilful and smooth ball movement.

Yeah this years grand final was as good as it gets in my opinion. Take out the second quarter and it was high scoring and free flowing for the most part, but the defensive efforts and contested passages were top shelf throughout the contest. Add the crazy momentum swings and it was truly a game for the ages.

Anything but the endless congested sh!t.

Not every game has to be a shoot-out, but if the umps simply penalised the player not getting the ball out, it would open the game up massively. The players would get the message, they would spread out to give their team mates options. It would make a huge difference if the umps simply implimented the rules we already have. No need to change anything much really.

But now the AFL have said ruckman can grab the ball without getting penalised? Here comes more ball-ups.... absolute knobs, no idea.

Why should the ruckmen be the only players on the ground whose prior opportunity is to be good enough to grab the ball before his opponent? That rule was always nonsense and good riddance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back