What led you to follow your Footy team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows started when I was 6 - too young to understand how it all came about but old enough to have already had that parochial SA vs VIC mentality horseshit chip on our shoulder thing and an SA team being in the 'big league' meant they were always going to be my team

Don't reeeally remember too much SANFL before that but I was Norwood because of my grandfather and we ganged up on Dad who was Port -

By the time I was old enough to realise I was a class traitor by picking Norwood and I should have been Centrals or (puke) Port , it was too late - and by the time I realised if 'footy justice' existed the Crows shouldn't really exist, it was also too late

It is what it is

GAS. After watching him play as a kid, how could I not go for Cats?

My first experience watching football was midway through the second quarter of the 89 grand final and the only name I kept hearing as a five year old kid was Ablett.

Could have been the dream start with another few minutes of game time. Instead I waited 18 years.

I'm actually amazingly stupid and I like to do what nobody else is doing. Both of these things pointed to the Melbourne Football Club

When I decided to ‘adopt’ an NFL team - I don’t even really like it but I wanted another way to bond with my son who loves it - I went through a rigorous screening process based around lack of success, lack of support, lack of glamour, and a fundamental unlikeability.

I settled on Cincinnati

Simple. In 2010 Collingwood was dominant and everyone was talking about them after the draw. So I chose Collingwood because I was around Pies fans and within a week had seen a flag. So I stuck with them and experienced a decade of heartbreak. I feel like it was fair penance and when you're young, bandwagoning is what happens. I express my gratitude that St Kilda lost, too, because that would be worse, although people would believe me when I say I have good teeth and a healthy dental record.

But before that, I had supported Hawthorn, then North Melbourne largely as a result of parental influence (HAW) and the colours (NM).

In 1959 my dad was watching the WAFL grand final with his dad, and his dad sais Polly Farmer was going to be the greatest footballer of all time.

A couple of years later, when Farmer moved over to Geelong, my dad decided that was the VFL team he would follow. As for me, I always had the choice (and as a kid I loved Robert Harvey, so could have been a Saints fan in another life), but the Geelong love in the house was too contagious, so here I am.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I first took notice of footy in ancient times, generally you were supposed to barrack for whoever the team was where you were born or where you lived. I was born and raised in Geelong and back in the day before Kardinia Park was redeveloped, I could hear the roar of the crowd from my bedroom window whenever the Cats scored a goal on a Saturday arvo during a home game.

So there was only ever one team for me 😸

Last edited:
Sarah, and her edible orange undies.

Start of 1979. 11 years old ex Kiwi living in Melbourne. 6 in the family. Decided when in Rome, let's follow the local game. We had been to Perth in 1977, flown home to sell up and then came back to make a life in Australia.

Anyway, 12 VFL teams, 6 people. We said, hey let's pick 2 teams each. I chose North Melbourne because I had watched the 1977 GF on TV in Perth. I chose Carlton because I had seen billboards with the name on it (CUB as it turns out) and it sounded kind of regal to me.

Family friends were living here. As it turned out their family was split between Carlton and North Melbourne. They took me to the Carlton v North game in Round 8 I think it was. Both teams 7-0. Outside the gates they told me I had to pick one team to barrack for and they'd buy me a little flag. The North flag had a Kangaroo on it and looked way cooler than the Carlton one, but as I stood in line I heard people talking in hushed tones about 'Jezza'. He sounded almost mythical, legendary. I bought the basic Carlton flag and barracked for the Blues. That game ebbed and flowed throughout but finally the heroics of Blight saw the Roos win by 4 points. I didn't waver in my decision though, and was rewarded with a flag first year.

I was so hooked.

My Dad went for Richmond and I swear the first team was Fitzroy. He later claimed it was always Richmond. He's nearly 80 now and 5 years ago, he said he'd die happy if he could be around to see Richmond win another flag. He's still kicking but completely satisfied.

I had all my success early and now I find myself with the same wish he had.

On my Dad's side, Poppa was born in Hawthorn, Melbourne in 1920 and that same year, his family moved to Brompton in Adelaide to work for the SA Gas Works. His father immediately followed the local side West Torrens and when my Poppa met my Nanna, who had grown up in nearby Torrensville and whose whole family also went for West Torrens, there was no other option. Nanna would peg the clothes on the line with Blue and Gold pegs. My Mum came from Sydney with no interest in football. Her Dad and brothers were a mix of South Sydney, St George and Cronulla in the Rugby League. So before 1991, I had a soft spot for West Coast (having copied the colours and name from West Torrens) and Hawthorn and Sydney from the family connections. My Aunty is still a Hawks supporter.

I was born in September 1981 and with the Eagles missing finals, I had a strong pre-season putting on weight and size and would've been taken to games in the pram from 1982 onwards. I have strong memories of the last few years before the merger with Woodville. I remember Michael Long playing for the Eagles, Laurence Schache, Troy Clarke, Bruce Lindsay and Andrew Payze - all who would go on and play some AFL games.

When the Crows came in was the same time West Torrens merged with Woodville. We also moved to the country that year. It was exciting to have the Crows come in. State of Origin was huge as a kid and this was pretty much our State team playing every week. I was 9 years old, we all went to that first game vs Hawthorn. By the time 1997 and 1998 happened, we were rusted on. Meanwhile, my Dad in particular was heart-broken from the merger of the Eagles and it took a long time to get over that. I think he'd still rather them be just West Torrens, even without the premierships. He was born in 1953, the last year West Torrens won one.

Since 1991 I've followed both the Crows and the Woodville-West Torrens Eagles. I feel lucky to have followed a strong SANFL side, even if not in the hey-day of the SANFL. As a kid the SANFL was accessible and I've found as a Dad, the SANFL still provides that accessibility and ease of taking the younger kids that the AFL doesn't have. I'm disappointed the AFL is constantly chipping away and taking over everything football - but the SANFL still remains, even if the terraces aren't as loud and passionate as they once were, the players are still playing for all the right reasons and you can't fault their endeavour.

I became a season ticket holder of the Crows the year Phil Walsh started coaching. I was really fed up with putting my time and expenses into following the SANFL when the AFL Reserves teams came in. My view at the time was it diminished the competition and after putting up with it for a season, I decided it was time to change from going week to week to the Eagles to trying the Crows. My Dad and I got some seats in Eddie Betts' pocket, just before it became Eddie Betts' pocket. It was a great ride through to the Prelim of 2017 and I can't remember much since then. Now I've got a few tickets right on the fence on the outer wing and generally make it to 7 or so games per year. I'll get to 4 or 5 Eagles games too. I enjoy both. I've had both my younger daughters (8yo and 3yo) asking to go to watch the girls play football so I'll have to make an effort to take them to some Crows AFLW or Eagles SANFLW games too.

My Grandpa was a Hawthorn fanatic. Through the very lean years and then the flag success last century. He died long before the 08 flag but you could almost hear his voice shouting, “that’s what I’m talking about, don’t think, do!” and other similar expressions during the game. He would have been thrilled with the threepeat. Needless to say my Dad barracked for Hawthorn too and my uncle. Did I have a choice? Thankfully not haha.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back