Analysis What list is in the worst state?

Remove this Banner Ad

Can North as a footy club survive a decade of being hopeless? Especially in tough economic tunes like we will experience, sponsors will be hard to find, members will drop off.. Might the AFL be prepared to let them fail so they are forced to relocate to Tas?

Last edited:

We're in struggle town.

The North list is a horror show and half of the posters on the North board seem blissfully ignorant of this fact.

Red = gone by 2022
Orange = maybe has a future

Jasper Pittard (29 this year and unlikely to be here in 2022)

Mason Wood, Aaron Hall, Jamie Macmillan, Jed Anderson, Dom Tyson, Kayne Turner... it just gets worse and worse.

Daw is 29, may have a few years of top flight footy ahead of him, maybe not. If we're being honest, probably not.

This is why certain folk on the North board can't handle me. Too on-the-money.

This is where i rate every list.. Because im bored.

Port - Quite good, a fair bit of young talent yes but their top Wines, Dixon, Boak make a big difference. Maybe 1/2 more years near the top and they'll need to regroup.

Brisbane - The next big thing for me. Super talent coming through with nice draft picks to follow. They'll be better in 2 years than they are now IMO. If they pinch a flag this year then wow.

Richmond - Their window is wide open now. As long as Cotchin, Martin are playing well. The end will come once we see some of their top line retire. They are rare talents that cant be replaced easily. Could see a flag this year and another challenge next year.

Geelong - They'll be around the mark again next year but i think we will see them struggle in a year or 2 and go for a refresh. They still have quality players spread at all ages though so i think theyll remain OK.

West Coast - Super team with talent all over. Kennedy will be very very hard to replace. Their top line heading towards the end i suspect a decline in a year or 2.

St Kilda - A team on the up for me. Need to land that superstar (martin, neale, dangerfield, fyfe) type for me. They have some bright years ahead and play a great brand of football.

Bulldogs - A team who will remain competitive for a few years yet. Need some talent on the spine for me. Maybe look at a Hurley and Brown? Could pinch another flag in the next 3

Collingwood - Maybe one more year in finals. Will require Pendlebury and Sidebottom replacements. I think their core of Treloar, Adams, Maynard, Moore, Grundy, Crisp, DeGoey will see them still competitive but they have a lot of dead weight. We shouldnt be under salary cap pressure

Melbourne - I think we will see them be a side around that 8-2 mark for a few years. The need a classy player like Martin/Pendlebury. Probably should try and grab a Kelly or Taranto from GWS

GWS - I think they will require a year or 2 to regroup but they will improve again. IMO the coach needs to go. Not saying he is good or bad but a fresh voice is required.

Carlton - I think they really improved this year. Curnow, Murphy, Simpson are gone or will be soon. They need to really get something from their bottom 5 players who seem to be complete passengers. Their spine is set for 5 years+ which is a great area to build and seem to have no cap trouble. Should make the 8 next year but will need to shrug their demons.

Freo - I mean its everything you want in a rebuild. Love their list going forward. Hopefully can attract some quality like west coast seem to be able to

Essendon - Wow, they need a top to bottom rebuild. Hurley and Hooker nearly done, Daniher probably gone. They arent able to put it together. Full rebuild for me

Gold Coast- Super list for me. Should be in finals in 2 years. Talent everywhere and a good feeling around the joint

Hawks - Yeah some lean years ahead. Need to hit the draft and probably wont see that come on for 4/5 years. They still have enough talent to not be a complete basketcase

Sydney - Super upcoming list. Will keep improving. I loved what they did this year in a lot of games

North - I mean there is 6 years of pain coming up. This could get very ugly. Hopefully the players left done ask to leave

Adelaide - Not as bad as people think. They have shown signs now. Should improve in coming years. Just need to keep bringing talent through.

Can somebody, for the love of all that is sacred, alter the title of this thread, so I can stop being severely triggered by the butchering of the English language? 🤣

Can North as a footy club survive a decade of being hopeless? Especially in tough economic tunes like we will experience, sponsors will be hard to find, members will drop off.. Might the AFL be prepared to let them fail so they are forced to relocate to Tas?

We've already survived two decades of being somewhat hopeless.
Reduced crowd sizes probably going to impact us the least, we already do okay filling half of Docklands.
Sponsors pay for TV access, it is for advertising, don't think we should expect less coverage than what we already have.
AFL doesn't have the power to relocate anyone and why would anyone relocate to some place that can't generate a crowd, you would go backwards.
As for lean times, our membership grew post covid and we didn't need to borrow any money from the AFL, unlike other clubs. We had basically no debt prior to covid and we will get rid of any debt we accumulate because of covid.

People do not need to worry about us.

Now if the AFL could stop employing 2000 people to do the work of 100 and they distributed the majority of the broadcasting revenue to all 18 clubs instead of holding a massive chunk of it for their discretionary spending then when s**t like this hits the fan clubs wont have to worry about lean times.

Football will still do fine, even during a recession, some may choose to pull back on some of the expensive membership options for more affordable options, but clubs that are well run will do fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never been more optimistic about our list's future than I am right now.

Things are looking good. Scott and Joyce's dead wood is being burned nice and quick.
Larkey and Mckay are good Kpps
Simpkin and thomas are going to be very very good.
Zurhaar and LDu should make it. Mcdonald seems to be very underrated here. Lot of work to be done and north seem to be accumulating draft capital so it looks like they are going to inject some elite talent into the list.
the only issue is not having enough senior players that are talented we did this and melbourne did this and it looks like a slowburn so clearly a long process.

This is where i rate every list.. Because im bored.

Port - Quite good, a fair bit of young talent yes but their top Wines, Dixon, Boak make a big difference. Maybe 1/2 more years near the top and they'll need to regroup.

Brisbane - The next big thing for me. Super talent coming through with nice draft picks to follow. They'll be better in 2 years than they are now IMO. If they pinch a flag this year then wow.

Richmond - Their window is wide open now. As long as Cotchin, Martin are playing well. The end will come once we see some of their top line retire. They are rare talents that cant be replaced easily. Could see a flag this year and another challenge next year.

Geelong - They'll be around the mark again next year but i think we will see them struggle in a year or 2 and go for a refresh. They still have quality players spread at all ages though so i think theyll remain OK.

West Coast - Super team with talent all over. Kennedy will be very very hard to replace. Their top line heading towards the end i suspect a decline in a year or 2.

St Kilda - A team on the up for me. Need to land that superstar (martin, neale, dangerfield, fyfe) type for me. They have some bright years ahead and play a great brand of football.

Bulldogs - A team who will remain competitive for a few years yet. Need some talent on the spine for me. Maybe look at a Hurley and Brown? Could pinch another flag in the next 3

Collingwood - Maybe one more year in finals. Will require Pendlebury and Sidebottom replacements. I think their core of Treloar, Adams, Maynard, Moore, Grundy, Crisp, DeGoey will see them still competitive but they have a lot of dead weight. We shouldnt be under salary cap pressure

Melbourne - I think we will see them be a side around that 8-2 mark for a few years. The need a classy player like Martin/Pendlebury. Probably should try and grab a Kelly or Taranto from GWS

GWS - I think they will require a year or 2 to regroup but they will improve again. IMO the coach needs to go. Not saying he is good or bad but a fresh voice is required.

Carlton - I think they really improved this year. Curnow, Murphy, Simpson are gone or will be soon. They need to really get something from their bottom 5 players who seem to be complete passengers. Their spine is set for 5 years+ which is a great area to build and seem to have no cap trouble. Should make the 8 next year but will need to shrug their demons.

Freo - I mean its everything you want in a rebuild. Love their list going forward. Hopefully can attract some quality like west coast seem to be able to

Essendon - Wow, they need a top to bottom rebuild. Hurley and Hooker nearly done, Daniher probably gone. They arent able to put it together. Full rebuild for me

Gold Coast- Super list for me. Should be in finals in 2 years. Talent everywhere and a good feeling around the joint

Hawks - Yeah some lean years ahead. Need to hit the draft and probably wont see that come on for 4/5 years. They still have enough talent to not be a complete basketcase

Sydney - Super upcoming list. Will keep improving. I loved what they did this year in a lot of games

North - I mean there is 6 years of pain coming up. This could get very ugly. Hopefully the players left done ask to leave

Adelaide - Not as bad as people think. They have shown signs now. Should improve in coming years. Just need to keep bringing talent through.

So every team is sweet then?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back