What makes a "good" coach?

Discussion in 'AFL - The Australian Football League' started by These 4 Walls, Apr 16, 2018 at 8:00 PM.

Put it out there
?

Required Traits

1. Game Day Motivator

33.3%
  2. Emotionally Connects with Players - Sense of Belonging etc.

55.6%
  3. Game Day Tactics

51.9%
  4. Game Plan Creation

55.6%
  5. Presents the Club Well in Media/Sponsors

7.4%
  6. List Creation

9.3%
  7. Player Development

24.1%
  8. Ability to Manage Assistant Coaches

24.1%
  9. Previous Exp in Football

1.9%
  10. Opposition Analysis

3.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. These 4 Walls

These 4 Walls Rookie

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Reading countless posts about whether Buckley, Goodwin, Hardwick (not recently thankfully) or Bolton are good coaches and there doesn't really seem to be any consensus about what makes someone a good coach.

There are often many types of coach but what traits are needed to be good or even great?

Why is Al Clarkson a better coach than Al Richardson? What are the characteristics of his coaching that make him better? Whether on BF or SEN or Fox or by the watercooler etc, it always seems to come down to "He's an idiot, I would do a better job!" or the like.

When discussing players, we tend to have a pretty good consensus about the requirements for a good FF or CHB, though with coaches they tend to either be amazing or horrible.

So, all of that said and done if you were building a new coach from scratch for a team that was on the cusp of the 8 and wanted to win the flag in the next 2 years, which 3 traits does a coach need?

Note: By game day tactics I mean the ability to see and change something within a game as opposed to an organized plan.

aflcliche, LongPause and demondavey like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Snookers

Snookers All Australian

GWS
    Other teams:
  3. Scorpus

Scorpus Rat Trap

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    A good coach is one that wins a lot of games

I'd also say a bad coach is one that loses a lot of games

tigs2010 likes this.
  4. Xtreme

Xtreme Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Able to adapt and change things on the fly (Clarkson)

A crap coach just leaves things as they are and curses (Chris Scott/John Longmire)

Leeda and The King! like this.
  5. SilentHunter_

SilentHunter_ Brownlow Medallist

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Nicely put. Ugly, exciting, boring, pretty - at the end of the day as long as the coach is getting wins that's all that matters. However how you get wins and be consistently great is a different discussion all together.

Snookers likes this.
  6. smasha

smasha Premium Platinum

Richmond
    Other teams:
    All of the above.

Ron The Bear likes this.
  7. Chism

Chism Moderator

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Cowboys, Pacers , HotSpurs ,Dodgers
    Assistants play a major role in every aspect who are often the unsung heroes.

But regarding the individual aspect of coaching it is definitely game day tactics and the ability to apply a successful plan B into effect when things are going against you which Clarkson is the best at.

Stevi_Tigers, LongPause, WWSD and 4 others like this.
  8. These 4 Walls

These 4 Walls Rookie

Richmond
    Other teams:
    As 3 of the 4 responses are already on "winning = good, losing = bad" how would we ever know if a coach of a bad team was actually good?

I would assume winning is the outcome of good coaching & not the trait of a good coach.

Ie: was Damien Hardwick a bad coach in 2010 when we won 6 games and lost 16?
    : was Clarkson crap in 2005 because they went 5-17?
    : Buckley in 2012 went 16-6

Or is as simple as that we don't care what makes someone good or bad at the role, they either win more games than last year and keep their job or lose more games and come under fire?

Jimmybob, herculez09 and Chism like this.
  9. Farm Boy

Farm Boy Premiership Player

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    A good coach is someone who recognizes his players strengths/weaknesses and plans accordingly.
    A bad coach is someone who throws James Harmes in the ruck when the game is in the balance.

10. BallaratBulldog

BallaratBulldog Brownlow Medallist

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Footscray VFL.

Well you have to consider the lists and how they develop vs the stratergy and understanding of players and modern game.

Brendan McCartney was seen a bad coach, development coach at best. Some basics like winning the contestant possession were great for the rebuild but from selections and match day stratergy had no ******* idea to get us any further.

Clarko and Hardwick both showed thier club that they could do what was needed. However, Buckley never had.

These 4 Walls likes this.
  11. psychobrown

psychobrown All Australian

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. These 4 Walls

These 4 Walls Rookie

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Absolutely, there is not one coach that would be perfect in every scenario (though I struggle to think of when teams wouldn't prefer Clarkson)

Team selection is another option I maybe should have included as actually picking the best line up is not as obvious as it sounds.

The question I maybe should have asked is "What is important to be a good coach" as I am interested in knowing how people go about assessing the performances of a coach without just looking at W/L

13. Power Raid

Power Raid TheBrownDog

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    A good coach who can come up with a plan B and the players believe in the coach and deliver.

The 1%, tackles, the running in waves and backing each other up are all good signs that the players believe in themselves and their coach.

14. Toump Ass

Toump Ass Premium Platinum

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Not Mark Neeld.

Otherwise, I'd say someone who gets the best out of the list and is innovative (you're not going to win a premiership trying to copy someone else's game-plan). Being a decent media performer would help.

You have to win games too.

15. The King!

The King! Supervisor

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Cavs, Redsox, Patriots
    Can control/influence expectation and exceed them

Makes multiple/new moves in games

Develops players- eg clarko has been there and grew his list, others took over a list someone else developed

Perform in the media/sell a message/draw in fans

Players dont leave him

Players seek out the club to play for him

16. Boxhead_31

Boxhead_31 Dan Menzel Heart

Geelong
    Other teams:
    South BHFL, 49ers, USC
    This Drinking Team has a Football Problem
    Having a teaching background and being able to make the connection to the players seems to be the way the role is going

17. Barry_Badrinath

Barry_Badrinath Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Home Finals at the MCG
    A strong list. There is no way a triple premiership coach who coached his team to a 42-7-2 record over his final two seasons suddenly lost his ability to coach in the space of 1-2 years.

18. Borussia Teeth

Borussia Teeth Club Legend

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Man Utd, Seattle Seahawks, SA Spurs
    Having a president that loves you and renews your contract.

19. Toump Ass

Toump Ass Premium Platinum

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    What a classic gag!

I bet Goody was in the coaches box looking at everyone like: "HAHAH LOOK AT ME EVERYONE I'M ROBERT WALLS!!!"

Ahhhhh lol.

Harmes will be dropped this week. He had his chances.

20. Farm Boy

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    He didn't have much of a chance against Big Boy McKovey. Who in their right mind plays James Harmes in the ruck against McKovey?

Sam Holland and Toump Ass like this.
  21. Ancient Tiger

Ancient Tiger Premium Platinum

Richmond
    Other teams:
    The best coaches are those who have the best man management skills. That means they can connect with all types of personalities and thus get them to buy into a team ethos and a brand of football that wins matches. You can have the best tactics in the world but if you can't manage your players, you will never be a good coach.

Of course success will also require having the right cattle to be able to execute your plan. A good coach though will also devise a game style that best exploits the capabilities of his list.

market likes this.
  22. Ancient Tiger

Ancient Tiger Premium Platinum

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Who is McKovey?

Do you mean McEvoy?

23. Farm Boy

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    Thanks for the correction. I never even realized it was McEvoy.

24. demondavey

demondavey Brownlow Medallist

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    God you’re predictable. You just roll from one thread to the next paying out on Melbourne. What makes a bad coach is picking fat boy McCartin at no.1.

25. Farm Boy

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    No. That makes a bad recruitment decision. Its not the coaches job to select players at the draft. But in Harmes vs McEvoy's case. It is always the coaches job to oversee moves on gameday. At the end of the day the coach has to be accountable for that. Goodwin is copping criticism because he opted to play James Harmes against Big Boy McEvoy at a pivotal time in the game, and he did this whilst Gawn sat on the bench for 10 minutes. Btw, I am not paying out on Melbourne - I am paying out on Goodwin (and rightfully so). Goodwin is not Melbourne, he is just an individual who coaches them, who IMO is doing a terrible job.

Sam Holland likes this.