What makes a "good" shoe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 29, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hey all, I've just put some thoughts together about the current state of today's traditional footwear.

There seems to be a huge gap between what's actually good for us and what most of us subject our feet to.

If you follow most of our AFL players' Insta feeds you'll most certainly see a whole host of bad choices that may have a role to play in explaining their injury histories.

If you have a minute, please feel free to have a squizz.

Keen to hear your collective thoughts.

http://yourwellnessnerd.com/what-makes-a-good-shoe/
ab3de88325a66915d16cb2c0eef66bf0.jpg

Last edited:
For mine, it's fit.

Unfortunately running shoes all seem to be made with the same (or similar) last which leaves people with different shaped feet at higher risk of injury.
I have long narrow feet, it's hard finding running shows that fit well. Currently wear Nike Frees as they are a narrow fit and I tend to front foot / mid foot strike depending on my pace but I'd prefer an even narrower toebox.

I'm a Vivobarefoot convert after buying a pair of their shoes for the first time last year. I was so enamoured I started keeping an eye on their website and ebay store for sales (bloody expensive shoes otherwise) and have now expanded my collection to 2x athletic pairs, 1x dress pair, and 1x casual pair.

I'm not a runner per se (nearly all my running comes during social sport when I'm wearing footy boots) but I live in my Vivos all day, every day now, and I'm someone who spends all day up and moving around, including working evenings. At first my feet would be aching by the end of the day, but I persevered and now I have no issues at all.

I just really enjoy wearing them... the tactile feel, the sensory feedback... it makes walking around more fun. If I chuck on a pair of my old shoes now I feel like I'm rolling around on a big unstable cushion.

For mine, it's fit.

Unfortunately running shoes all seem to be made with the same (or similar) last which leaves people with different shaped feet at higher risk of injury.
I have long narrow feet, it's hard finding running shows that fit well. Currently wear Nike Frees as they are a narrow fit and I tend to front foot / mid foot strike depending on my pace but I'd prefer an even narrower toebox.

Try the Nike Bijoux - I find it is more narrow than the Frees IMO. Also cheap enough to replace every couple of months.

EDIT: Bijoux are more of a training shoe - but I find they are about the same sole support as Frees.

I seem to have the opposite problem to everyone and I have wide, short feet. I have zero arch issues, and because of the weird shape of my feet, I find built in arch support sits in the wrong spot and hurts my feet. And I don't heel-strike when I run so if a shoe has a bit of a heel on it, I end up sliding forward in the shoe and crushing my toes.
So far I've found Adidas to be the best shoes for my needs, even though so many people tell me they're not good, and I should try Asics or New Balance or any other shoe under the sun. But adidas 1/2 sizes are a little bit wider, and they let your feet do feet things, rather than supporting things that don't need supporting.

barefoot where possible (basically ovals in warmer weather).

colder weather grass runs, I have a pair of inov-8 192 which they don't make anymore. I should have stocked up on those as they're a great shoe - 3mm foam sole, wide toe box for splay, zero heel to toe drop.

any runs on the road (rare), i use altra one v2. once again, wide toe box, zero heel-toe drop. bigger chunk of foam to absorb ground impact. i use them for walking around in mainly.

trail shoe is the inov-8 x-talon 212. they're precision fit and 6mm heel-toe drop, both of which i wouldn't ordinarily get, but i only use them 2 or 3 times a year for trail and obstacle course runs. i got them before i knew much about what i wanted.

gym shoe is inov-8 235 v2. same as above -> wide toe box, zero heel-toe drop.

I'm a Vivobarefoot convert after buying a pair of their shoes for the first time last year. I was so enamoured I started keeping an eye on their website and ebay store for sales (bloody expensive shoes otherwise) and have now expanded my collection to 2x athletic pairs, 1x dress pair, and 1x casual pair.

I'm not a runner per se (nearly all my running comes during social sport when I'm wearing footy boots) but I live in my Vivos all day, every day now, and I'm someone who spends all day up and moving around, including working evenings. At first my feet would be aching by the end of the day, but I persevered and now I have no issues at all.

I just really enjoy wearing them... the tactile feel, the sensory feedback... it makes walking around more fun. If I chuck on a pair of my old shoes now I feel like I'm rolling around on a big unstable cushion.
Picked up a pair of stealths today so much better deadlifting in

barefoot where possible (basically ovals in warmer weather).

colder weather grass runs, I have a pair of inov-8 192 which they don't make anymore. I should have stocked up on those as they're a great shoe - 3mm foam sole, wide toe box for splay, zero heel to toe drop.

any runs on the road (rare), i use altra one v2. once again, wide toe box, zero heel-toe drop. bigger chunk of foam to absorb ground impact. i use them for walking around in mainly.

trail shoe is the inov-8 x-talon 212. they're precision fit and 6mm heel-toe drop, both of which i wouldn't ordinarily get, but i only use them 2 or 3 times a year for trail and obstacle course runs. i got them before i knew much about what i wanted.

gym shoe is inov-8 235 v2. same as above -> wide toe box, zero heel-toe drop.
The feel of grass on bare feet is incomparable. the coolness from the grass moisture is soothing.

that said, have you ever stepped on something foreign?

The feel of grass on bare feet is incomparable. the coolness from the grass moisture is soothing.

that said, have you ever stepped on something foreign?

not at 6am in winter mate.........that moisture is ******* icy.

haven't stepped on anything yet. generally run at henson park in marrickville (swans inner city academy base), and erskineville oval (south sydney juniors training base).

the only problem i've had was over the most recent summer when I did a run down at redfern oval - NRL south sydney rabbitohs training base. dunno if it was bindis or what but it ******* ripped my feet apart after just a few laps. i even got the specs and typewriter out and sent a note to souths complaining the field is abysmal for a professional footy club. some of their players like Greg Inglis and Sam Burgess are getting paid close to $1m per season and running/rolling around on that s**t.

Nike for walking.

Reebok for running.

Cheap ‘n nasty Chinese Kung fu/Tai-chi slippers in the gym for the thinnest and flattest base to push off when doing big compound movements or any standing lifts.

5524E412-A12D-4037-B292-9D6AB6404EA0.jpeg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read an article like that a while ago, I'm sure their point is valid but it's not for everyone. My biggest issue is that my back and knees are ****ed and I pronate a little, so anything other than a well-cushioned shoe kills me. I tried Nike Frees for a few weeks (purely for the 2km walk to work) and it ruined my knees, switching to Asics helped a lot.

A little bit off topic, but I am travelling around Europe in a couple of months. Looking for good shoes to buy. I won't be trekking the alps or anything but imagine I will be doing a lot of walking around European cities. What shoe would people recommend? Runners, boots, hiking shoes?

A little bit off topic, but I am travelling around Europe in a couple of months. Looking for good shoes to buy. I won't be trekking the alps or anything but imagine I will be doing a lot of walking around European cities. What shoe would people recommend? Runners, boots, hiking shoes?
A lot of Euro cities have old cobblestone streets or very old uneven bricks and slabs plus much dirt and grime. Use shoes like outdoor trainers that are lighter and have more flexible soles so they don’t get torn up too much & won’t destroy your calves and ankles in the process.

Avoid heels and hard leather soles if you can.

Also don’t buy top of the range NIKE etc as they’re just gonna get trashed anyway. Get something affordable that you will do the job but are fairly cost effective if you need to replace them.

sven_inc , I would be interested in your opinions, considering you are a physio.
I wear Nike Frees, have done so since they first appeared in Australia back in 2005. I like the minimalist feel as I've always had knee problems.
I am really considering the Vibrams as everything I've read about them points to them suiting my feet. I'm slightly put off by the appearance, superficial I know, but for those that do wear them, do you receive comments and do you ever feel a little conscious wearing them?

I seem to have the opposite problem to everyone and I have wide, short feet. I have zero arch issues, and because of the weird shape of my feet, I find built in arch support sits in the wrong spot and hurts my feet. And I don't heel-strike when I run so if a shoe has a bit of a heel on it, I end up sliding forward in the shoe and crushing my toes.
So far I've found Adidas to be the best shoes for my needs, even though so many people tell me they're not good, and I should try Asics or New Balance or any other shoe under the sun. But adidas 1/2 sizes are a little bit wider, and they let your feet do feet things, rather than supporting things that don't need supporting.

I'm similar in terms of feet shape and function, and found at least when I was playing basketball that adidas shoes were the best, most comfortable fit, without persistent sore spots or pressure.

I like the feel of Nike Frees, but they do also feel like your toes are jammed in a bit as well. I should try the adidas quivalent.

I'm interested to know what people consider a "good" quality in their footwear.

I ask because it's interesting to hear what is promoted as “healthy" for our feet.

From my experience, if you speak to almost any shoe-store attendant, Physio, Doctor or Podiatrist, you will almost certainly be directed towards a shoe equipped with modern technology — arch support, cushioned heel etc.

This is obviously done with the best intentions but clinically it seems that the majority of modern shoe features lead to long-term functional and mechanical consequences for the feet, ankles and lower leg. This is DESPITE any obvious initial benefits.

From my clinical experience as a Physio, any raised heel section will lead to a loss of normal ankle range of motion over time. Stiff, inflexible soles and surrounding material can lead to stiff, inflexible feet.

A pointed toe-end will cramp and create dysfunctional toe mechanics. Arch support will temporarily prevent an arch collapsing, but it will never stop it from WANTING to collapse. It can't solve the original concerns - just buffer them.

Again, these features have logical and practical applications, but it seems they miss the broader perspective entirely.

In my opinion we need to look at things from a different perspective if we are to solve a bunch of our current issues.

In light of this I've put together a lengthy read if anyone is interested:

http://yourwellnessnerd.com/what-makes-a-good-shoe/

What are you told to look for in a good shoe and why?

Is this something you've ever really put much thought in to?

Barefoot running. Basically the view is we don't run the way we should run when we wear these high heeled running shoes, ie. we land on our heels when we should be landing on the balls of our feet and using the knees as a cushioning mechanism.

Barefoot running. Basically the view is we don't run the way we should run when we wear these high heeled running shoes, ie. we land on our heels when we should be landing on the balls of our feet and using the knees as a cushioning mechanism.
Its amazing isn't it? Such a simple concept.

I've always found it very interesting.

I’ve spent the last 20 years (predominantly) volleys, work boots, chuck taylors and skate shoes.
Volleys were the worst for long walks home after a night out.

It’s not so much a view as it is a fact (that biomechanics alter depending on shoe).
The debate is about whether this is a positive, negative or “meh” adaptation.

Last edited:
Flat soles shoes are the best for everything imo.

Go Vans whenever you can, they’re just so versatile.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back