Analysis What makes a great team? (probably not what you expect)

Remove this Banner Ad

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Read this morning a very interesting article (ABC online) about what makes a great (winning/successful) team:
abc.net.au/news/2020-07-26/what-makes-a-great-sports-team-sam-walker/12454814

The author went into his 11 years of research expecting it to be the Coach, but decided that there was one factor that decided it over the others.
Captaincy/leadership:
" "They approached leadership exactly the same way and made exactly the same kinds of decisions. So it was a philosophy of leadership and management that they shared in common," he says." (note especially his comments on Michael Jordan).
Mark Bickley struck me as an unlikely Captain, quiet, certainly not a stand-out or extroverted character (eg like Tex) but when teamed up with the charismatic, brilliant Malcolm Blight they got the Crows to their only Premierships. Ricciuto and Walker came close, but no Flag and certainly no sustained success. In fact, I still think Roo's suspension (as Captain) in 2005 (edited: thanks to WetCrow1991) and the weak loss to the Saints threw us into the away Final later, lost to West Coast. I have a hunch that Walker as Captain was responsible for some of the team internal divisiveness that added to our 2017 GF loss.
(edit: Walker was Captain and made it clear that he was disappointed with Lever, while others had a more laissez-faire attitude. There was disunity in the team because of this, and "I have a hunch..." means it might have been one reason, not THE reason. He was rightly the AFLPA's 2017 Captain of the Year for the second time, and I've always been a huge fan of Tex whose passion for the game and love of the Club is unquestionable, imo)

So, do you agree with Sam Walker's findings? Who's the standout for our next Premiership Captain? Doedee? Talia? Jones?

Last edited:
Absolutely it is about on field leadership, and more than just the captain or named leadership group.

No greater example than Hawthorn, who despite trading in a player who won the Brownlow and a silky skilled highly rated midfielder, amongst others, couldn’t replace Sam Mitchell and Luke Hodge and have been just average since those two left.

Another cheap shot at Walker from our fan base. No idea what he's done to deserve the petty hatred, other than love our club more than any one else that's ever pulled on the boots.

Taking a playing group that had been through what that one had, after the loss of a top 5 best player in the league, to a grand final mere years later was a ******* bang up job of leadership. He doesn't * his ankle late in the year against Essendon, we might not even be having this conversation.

Read this morning a very interesting article (ABC online) about what makes a great (winning/successful) team:
abc.net.au/news/2020-07-26/what-makes-a-great-sports-team-sam-walker/12454814

The author went into his 11 years of research expecting it to be the Coach, but decided that there was one factor that decided it over the others.
Captaincy/leadership:
" "They approached leadership exactly the same way and made exactly the same kinds of decisions. So it was a philosophy of leadership and management that they shared in common," he says." (note especially his comments on Michael Jordan).
Mark Bickley struck me as an unlikely Captain, quiet, certainly not a stand-out or extroverted character (eg like Tex) but when teamed up with the charismatic, brilliant Malcolm Blight they got the Crows to their only Premierships. Ricciuto and Walker came close, but no Flag and certainly no sustained success. In fact, I still think Roo's suspension (as Captain) in 2006 cost us Top spot and threw us into the away Final, lost to West Coast when we should have played that Prelim. at home. I have a hunch that Walker as Captain was responsible for some of the team internal divisiveness that added to our 2017 GF loss.

So, do you agree with Sam Walker's findings? Who's the standout for our next Premiership Captain? Doedee? Talia? Jones?

Roo was suspended in 2005 and we finished top.

He was suspended for the Home qualifying final against St Kilda, which we choked in and lost.

In 2006 Roo had Parvo or "Parvo"

Another cheap shot at Walker from our fan base. No idea what he's done to deserve the petty hatred, other than love our club more than any one else that's ever pulled on the boots.

Taking a playing group that had been through what that one had, after the loss of a top 5 best player in the league, to a grand final mere years later was a ******* bang up job of leadership. He doesn't fu** his ankle late in the year against Essendon, we might not even be having this conversation.

Yep. Not just from the fan base but the AFL in general seem keen to heap it on Walker.

Taking a playing group that had been through what that one had, after the loss of a top 5 best player in the league, to a grand final mere years later was a ******* bang up job of leadership. He doesn't fu** his ankle late in the year against Essendon, we might not even be having this conversation.

Some fans seem to have this amazing insight into how Tex captains behind close doors. Lets look at the facts:

1) Was picked by Walsh for putting the team first.
2) Named best Captain in the AFL twice
3) When his body and his form started to let him down he unselfishly decided to step down

What more do people want from the man?

Tex was a fantastic captain in so many ways and I will staunchly defend his best captain awards (as if that needs defending since it's voted by his peers) but he had shortcomings, in particular his emotional control was and is really poor.

Yesterday showed us his best (continuous encouragement, direction) and his worst (Mrouch spray).

There were instances in the latter stages of Tex's leadership where his lack of emotional control bought himself and the club bad PR. Sometimes you could really empathise with him as it didn't seem like a big deal or maybe it was just him wearing his heart on his sleeve but ultimately when you assume leadership, you assume responsibility.

It's tough, it's not fair sometimes but there you have it.

It really is about sliding doors though - had we won 2017 flag much of our woes would likely not have happened (though who knows with our club) but it did.

I have great hopes for Doedee. Interestingly I actually think Sloane fits much of the mould of what the article talks about but in thr interests of fresh starts and long term vision it should be Doedee and soon.

PS- the article is kind of trash. It's just some bloke cherry picking teams that he thinks support his premise, rather than any sort of comprehensive study. He omits a substantial number of sporting dynasties, and claims that Cartwright was the reason for the Bulls success (LOL).

Also, like, the Patriots cheating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please see edit to main post. You've mistaken me for a Walker-hater.
I have no hatred for Walker, petty or otherwise. Love the bloke, the player, the Captain.
I was speculating about why he was not the Premiership Captain that year ie if he had any role in it, and fwiw I think he was a better Captain than Bickley, but that's totally subjective.
You're right --- that injury affected his game, and there were many other reasons why that Flag went begging.
(P.S. see also the post by Greenac, above)

Last edited:
Roo was suspended in 2005 and we finished top.
He was suspended for the Home qualifying final against St Kilda, which we choked in and lost.
You're right, thanks; please see edit to main post, above. Crows were top, Saints fourth, and without Roo (suspended) they lost that first final at home, throwing them into an away Final to WCE in Perth later :confounded::cry:.

Team belief and team cohesion would be important aspects of a great team. You need everybody on board with the same flight.
“We fly as one” was quite a literal thing for us for the most part of 2017.
Now in 2020, it’s more like “we fly all over the place, in no particular pattern”.

You're right, thanks; please see edit to main post, above. Crows were top, Saints fourth, and without Roo (suspended) they lost that first final at home, throwing them into an away Final to WCE in Perth later :confounded::cry:.

Yep it sucked.

To be honest, it was pretty selfish of Roo to get suspended like that in what was basically a dead rubber.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back