What makes a player elite? Rank your teams elite and who is almost there?

Remove this Banner Ad

I generally agree but given the bar you set for other positions calling Gaffe the only elite wingman is an anomalie. I'm happy to accept Smith is. I'd argue hard with anyone who said Scully wasn't.

Scully was an elite runner, he had two very good seasons (albeit when the Giants were up and about), it's just not enough for me.

The gap between Gaff and the peloton is much bigger than in any other position, tis the reason why I think he is the only Elite wingman!

Interesting discussion, many differing views on what is "elite" and "almost". Off the top of my head I'd have these and probably add to it later when they come to mind, for mine these are hard to argue because of the impact they have (this or last year)

Elite:

Mids
Dusty, Danger, Sides, Gaff, Schuey, Pendles, Mitchell (purely by numbers), Kennedy (Swans)
Nic Nat (when on the park) Grundy, Gawn, Cripps, Bont

Fwd
Kennedy, Buddy, Brown, Jack (Reiwoldt)

Backs
Gov, Hurn, Rance

Almost:

Mids
Treloar, Cotch, Phillips, Higgins, Parker, Jones (Nate), Adams

Fwd
Degoey, WHE, Darling, Ryan

Like I said just literally thought these up now and not aware of all of their stats.
I know I’m a freo supporter, but is that Liam Ryan?

And how far off the almost list is Fyfe?

Scully was an elite runner, he had two very good seasons (albeit when the Giants were up and about), it's just not enough for me.

The gap between Gaff and the peloton is much bigger than in any other position, tis the reason why I think he is the only Elite wingman!
I think Scully has had 5 good seasons. He copped a lot of negativity from the Mexican press because of his recruitment by us.

It's really hard for an elite outside midfielder to look spectacular when his team aren't winning the ball inside. He played an outside defensive role for the first couple of years often covering multiple opponents. He started to be noticeable in 2015 when the ball started to come out of the clearances our way consistently. Injury ended his season early that year.

Gaff is definitely elite, it's certainly not silly to call him the best winger in the game. . Some people fall for the trap of thinking that Scully's unique endurance somehow means he lacks legspeed or skills though. His disposal is first class as is his goal shooting.

Stratton = Defender - No, good but not great.
Sicily = Half Back - Potentially, to early just yet.
Mitchell = Inside Mid - Yes, and if you disagree, you are wrong!
Smith = Wing - No. He is one of the best, but Gaff is the only Elite wingman!
Gunston = Half Forward - Yes. Has proven his Elite status since Franklin left.
Wingard = Half Forward - No, far to inconsistent!
Bruest = Small Forward - 50/50 either way, I'm torn!

Who are the better medium lockdown defenders who play big or small and pretty much are never beaten?

Stratton has been at the top of the list for years. Our most important defender since Lake retired.

And seriously. Who is a better small to mid forward than Breust? Year in year out he is top of thr list. Sometimes joined by Betts. Sometimes Greene.

Thats a totally seperate discussion TBH.

For one Kennedy has been both very good at applying defensive pressure for years. Does the 1%ers and team things. Always chases and lands run down tackles.

Both obviously are good at scoring.

The clincher is Kennedy's beard. ;):D

It's a discussion I took from your comment.

and Jacks defensive efforts have always been pretty good.

I will accept the beard as being a point in Kennedy's favor though.

Merrett and Hurley

Raz if he can stay injury free could be.

Every year this thread happens and 200 players get a mention. No more than 30 can be elite. Maybe 25 if being a little stricter.

Melbourne is Gawn and maybe Oliver. McDonald and Brayshaw need one more year of similar output to be considered.

Most on here are kidding themselves with players nominated.

Every year this thread happens and 200 players get a mention. No more than 30 can be elite. Maybe 25 if being a little stricter.

Melbourne is Gawn and maybe Oliver. McDonald and Brayshaw need one more year of similar output to be considered.

Most on here are kidding themselves with players nominated.

Top 10% is considered elite. 600 or 700 players on lists. About 400 or 500 will play each year.

So a top 50 would make sense. Maybe Mike Sheehan was on to something.

tigers elite:

rance, dusty, cotch, jiewoldt, assbury, grimes, shedwardo, jiggins, prestia, lynch, lambo, drioli, vlaustin, caddy

Don't rate Jetta? Petracca is useless
Yeah I was umming and ahhhing about Jetta. Probably in the "close" category.

Petracca I said has the potential to be elite. He's 22 and I think most of his problems are in his head. Can't wait till he gets another 50 games into him.

Wow you're harsh i even stated my interpretation, which is clearly different to your own because id have Jetta, Viney, Hibbard as elite also.
Not that AA are the best guide but there's only one between Jetta, Viney and Hibberd. I have one elite player in our squad and one (Oliver) who I'll happily call elite if he can back up his last season.

Regarding your picks:
Stratton/ Siciliy
As defenders they're behind Rance, Davis, Laird, Hurley, Jetta, McGovern, Hurn, Talia, Whitfield, Hibberd and probably a few others.

Mitchell
Don't mind Mitchell being called elite, although personally I'd take a dozen midfielders ahead of him.

Smith = Wing
29 years old. Zero All Australians (?). Averages 21 possessions. Not a great player.

Gunston, Wingard, Bruest
Good, solid players. None of these players are in the "top echelon of their position" IMO. Bruest has had a few good years, Gunston had a very good 2018.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gunston, Wingard, Bruest
Good, solid players. None of these players are in the "top echelon of their position" IMO. Bruest has had a few good years, Gunston had a very good 2018.
Who would be above Gunston and Breust for their position? Will give you Betts ahead of Breust

Who would be above Gunston and Breust for their position? Will give you Betts ahead of Breust
I'm not so into this micro-view of positions- ie: "who is the best small to medium forward?". They're forwards.

Personally I have Gunston and Bruest around the same level as Tom McDonald, and I'd have Greene, Kennedy, Darling, Franklin, Hogan, Big Bad Benny Brown, Danniher, Riewoldt, Betts and your mum ahead of them.

I'm not so into this micro-view of positions- ie: "who is the best small to medium forward?". They're forwards.

Personally I have Gunston and Bruest around the same level as Tom McDonald, and I'd have Greene, Kennedy, Darling, Franklin, Hogan, Big Bad Benny Brown, Danniher, Riewoldt, Betts and your mum ahead of them.

Betts kicked only 29 goals last season and really struggled in several games. We've seen the best of him.

Hogan and Betts are both trash

Gray and Jonas

None really on the verge currently, a few i could see possibly getting thei there in 5 years time

Yeah I was umming and ahhhing about Jetta. Probably in the "close" category.

Petracca I said has the potential to be elite. He's 22 and I think most of his problems are in his head. Can't wait till he gets another 50 games into him.

Not that AA are the best guide but there's only one between Jetta, Viney and Hibberd. I have one elite player in our squad and one (Oliver) who I'll happily call elite if he can back up his last season.

Regarding your picks:
Stratton/ Siciliy
As defenders they're behind Rance, Davis, Laird, Hurley, Jetta, McGovern, Hurn, Talia, Whitfield, Hibberd and probably a few others.

Mitchell
Don't mind Mitchell being called elite, although personally I'd take a dozen midfielders ahead of him.

Smith = Wing
29 years old. Zero All Australians (?). Averages 21 possessions. Not a great player.

Gunston, Wingard, Bruest
Ahhhh now i understand!

Anywho.......

I think many of you are setting the bar too low.

If we're saying 10% of the competition are elite, what term do we use for Ablett Jr, Judd and Franklin in their prime?

Elite has to be the absolute upper echelon of players in the league, and have to have done it over an extended journey.

Right now, we have the following - Franklin, Dangerfield, Fyfe, Rance, Martin, Gawn.

Examples of those a shade below - Sidey, J. Riewoldt, Kelly, J. Kennedy (WC)

Examples of those that have been elite but are no longer - Selwood, Pendlebury, Ablett and possibly J. Kennedy (Syd).

Examples of those with the potential to become elite - Cripps, Grundy, Oliver.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back