What makes Gary Ablett Jnr such a gun?

Remove this Banner Ad

ShriekingShack

Senior List
Jun 9, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Whenever I've watched him play, he seems to have no stand out physical attributes. He's not slow, but he's not lightning like Dangerfield. He's not weak, but he's not a brute like Martin. He's not a bad mark, but he doesn't take them like Fyfe. He's incredibly fit, but so are many other players like Gaff. He's a decent kick, but so are players like Hurn and Suckling

Despite this, he has dominated many games and torn teams apart. He's also inserted himself into the GOAT discussions along the way.

Why then, is he so damn good? What stand out attributes does he have that make him so good? Gary Snr's were bleeding obvious, he was a freak.

What then does Jnr have that makes him such a star?

You're underselling his athletic profile.

At his peak:

His pace would have been in the top 20%.

His agility was up there with the best.

He is very physically strong for his height.

He can kick the ball a mile and rarely turns it over by foot.

And most of all: he reads the game better than almost anyone.

Whenever I've watched him play, he seems to have no stand out physical attributes. He's not slow, but he's not lightning like Dangerfield. He's not weak, but he's not a brute like Martin. He's not a bad mark, but he doesn't take them like Fyfe. He's incredibly fit, but so are many other players like Gaff. He's a decent kick, but so are players like Hurn and Suckling

Despite this, he has dominated many games and torn teams apart. He's also inserted himself into the GOAT discussions along the way.

Why then, is he so damn good? What stand out attributes does he have that make him so good? Gary Snr's were bleeding obvious, he was a freak.

Lol managed to pop Gaff and Hurn in there, did ya?

Reading the play and balance.

He knows where the ball is going ahead of time and that allows him to get so much of it without being bigger, stronger, quicker or fitter than his opponents - not that he isn't quick, fit or strong but he doesn't have the physical advantages of a Dangerfield or Martin.

Then he's so perfectly balanced he can move left or right, kick left or right or handball left or right. Combine core strength, footy smarts to know what he's going to do with the ball and a beautiful compact kicking motion and he's just superbly balanced

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is all obviously a matter of opinion because it's very subjective but I'd have him as:
He's not just a 'decent' kick, he's probably been in the top handful either side for most of his career. Not Sam Mitchell/Akermanis level, but easily top 10-15. Some insane ability around goals, could kick around 50 lace-out on the run, snap kicks

His core strength would be top 3 for a midfielder that I've seen.

Great pace, endurance and jump, although probably not that elite 5-10 bracket. Still enough marking ability, burst speed etc.

Smart - gets his hands up ASAP when he's about to be tackled, knows where the ball is going - easily top 5 in his career for that sort of reading the play. Proactive, not reactive.

Keeps his feet better than any midfielder I've seen.

Clutch. Obviously an elite mental preparer (when he wants to play :p). Even last year when he attracted criticism for it, B&F and top 20 in the Brownlow from just 14 games from a 33 yo - he's still elite in his old age.

I don't think it's fair to say he has no standout attributes. Sure, Martin and Dangerfield are stronger and more aggressive and have more acceleration, but they don't come close to his kicking ability. Nor his handball and vision.

His hand-eye coordination is insane too. Ball on the deck = I'd pick Ablett to get it. Shows with his all little basketball and 'trick shots' videos too.

Best I’ve seen. His coordination all round is superior to Danger, Judd, Fyfe, Martin. If he wanted to play soccer, basketball, tennis, etc. he is the type to excel at everything.

I think it’s his polish, coordination and instincts that set him apart from the above even though they are generally larger and better ‘athletes’.

Around goals or kicking to a leading forward he is deadly. Also ridiculous side to side movement and balance.

vision, one of the best shimmys in the game, one of the cleanest disposers of the ball, good contested mark for his size, good shot at goal, fast (well in his younger days), can run all day to break tags and incredible upper body strength like his old man which just enables him to regularly win the contest. do you need any more?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back