What makes Gary Ablett Jnr such a gun?

Remove this Banner Ad

And? I’m not old enough to have watched Bartlett play but from the absolute battalion of people who have, I have never once heard a single one of them try to claim Bartlett is even in the conversation. Apart from being a demented old piece of s**t who hasn’t made a worthwhile comment on the sport in decades.

Funny how in 4 of these 5 years he was kicking 50 plus goals, apparently as a genuine midfielder, he averaged less than 20 touches.

F***in s**t midfielder then.
Who put you on this planet? 'A demented old piece of s**t' jesus mate calm the fk down will ya..

He is still one of the greats and one of the untouchables in the history of the game. I dont necessarily agree with what has been said about KB being better than Ablett, but to say hes a ******* s**t midfielder (who was a half forward anyway) on the basis of his stat count which of course wont look as good compared to modern footballers just goes to show how bloody clueless you are.

Last edited:
Who put you on this planet? 'A demented old piece of s**t' jesus mate calm the fk down will ya..

He is still one of the greats and one of the untouchables in the history of the game. I dont necessarily agree with what has been said about KB being better than Ablett, but to say hes a ******* s**t midfielder (who was a half forward anyway) on the basis of his stat count which of course wont look as good compared to modern footballers just goes to show how bloody clueless you are.
Kevin Bartlett was a midfielder for most of his career only played at half foward in the last few years of his career

I’m arguing with someone who’s essentially said that because of what he did this season, Dustin Martin has been better than Gary Ablett. Hence the extreme measures in highlighting some of the ridiculousness of their claims.

Bartlett IS demented judging him by some of the things he says these days. But yes of course he could play.

Based on Ablett's career to date, I still have Mathews ahead of him. Ablett has been a fantastic player but Lethal has done as much (if not more than Ablett) and was a tremendous leader. Something Ablett cannot lay claim to.

Based on Ablett's career to date, I still have Mathews ahead of him. Ablett has been a fantastic player but Lethal has done as much (if not more than Ablett) and was a tremendous leader. Something Ablett cannot lay claim to.

That’s fair enough.

Though I think if you took the C from his name ablett’s leadership as a player would be fine. His example aside from the odd minor blow up is pretty faultless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only AFL / VFL footballer ever to be charged by Police with assault on the playing field

Ablett was great - is great - because he had no clear weaknesses to his game. He was quick enough and strong enough and more importantly very difficult to tackle.

He was an accumulator but one with elite disposal. He could go forward and kick goals. Perhaps most importantly he read the game extremely well. Being successful in the AFL has a lot more to do with being able to read the play than it is about measurable physical attributes.

Ablett was great - is great - because he had no clear weaknesses to his game. He was quick enough and strong enough and more importantly very difficult to tackle.

He was an accumulator but one with elite disposal. He could go forward and kick goals. Perhaps most importantly he read the game extremely well. Being successful in the AFL has a lot more to do with being able to read the play than it is about measurable physical attributes.

I’m sure every club has them but the obvious one from a cats perspective was Corey Enright. Had a lot of deficiencies in his game that were completely neutralised by his ability to read play

I agree with the OP in the sense that there is probably no single skill or physical attribute Ablett was in the top 10 of the competition for... although at this peak stamina would have been close.

But he was probably in the top 50 for everything (outside of physical attributes key position players dominate). Speed, stamina, balance, ball use by hand, ball use by foot, kicking off the weaker side, ball handling, reading the play, goal kicking accuracy, possession accumulation, breaking a tag, consistency over four quarters, consistency week to week, bringing others into a game... He didn't just not have a weakness for his opposition to work away at, he was very good at everything so there wasn't even a starting point for them.

I agree with the OP in the sense that there is probably no single skill or physical attribute Ablett was in the top 10 of the competition for..

Hip strength? Kicking into the 50? Instinct around goal? Positioning in a contest? Those are the ones that stand out as massive strengths.

I agree with the OP in the sense that there is probably no single skill or physical attribute Ablett was in the top 10 of the competition for... although at this peak stamina would have been close.

Hah? Why was he consistently rated No.1 by his peers, the coaches, Mike Sheehan etc? I doubt it was because he was "in the top 50 for everything"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back