Discussion What martial arts have you guys done?

Remove this Banner Ad

Between this and getting lit up and Dan Kelly I’m definitely more suited to Pickleball.

Yeah a bloke who was one win away (Brunson) from fighting for a UFC title, if you struggle with him you're ordinary!

I don't want to be mean but Dan Kelly seems to have "enjoyed" retirement. I can't say I blame him, he trained hard even for a pro fighter as I'm sure you know well, it must be hard to adjust when you have no immediate goal to stay motivated i reckon.

Yeah a bloke who was one win away (Brunson) from fighting for a UFC title, if you struggle with him you're ordinary!

I don't want to be mean but Dan Kelly seems to have "enjoyed" retirement. I can't say I blame him, he trained hard even for a pro fighter as I'm sure you know well, it must be hard to adjust when you have no immediate goal to stay motivated i reckon.
He was a wildly unorthodox striker and obviously a world class judoka so you were busy watching his hips and trying to keep them away then he throws this ugly off kilter semi uppercut looking thing.

Anyway, old mate Dan used to really let himself go between fights so his post retirement rig is no shock. Good on him. I’d also imagine his joints and general mobility would be ****ed, Judokas train harder than anyone I’ve ever seen.

Geeze, with the amount of anti North Melbourne people on the big footy main board, I am surprised your Brazilian Jiu Justu skills haven't been used as much lol

Al long as they allow me enough time to get changed into my combat pyjamas

You fight phantom13 or just train?
Just trained for years. Had some amatuer boxing bouts and plenty of competitive sparring for boxing and mma. Few at my gym wanted me to take a fight but much like Lopes the wife wasn’t keen and having done the weight cuts I had two great reasons not to.

I've boxed for almost a decade (middleweight) and have had a few amateur fights through Boxing Victoria. Looking to line another up in March/April next year but have been recovering from a torn MCL the last 6 weeks (should be fine by March of course, but it flares up now and again so not sure how much longer that'll go on for)

Initially took up the sport after watching for so many years and wanting to learn for myself whilst getting different cardio in (running or spending time on the bike is not my thing if I can avoid it). After a couple years that turned into wanting to have a proper fight so I could say I did it. You get a bit hooked after that tbh.

Interested to eventually move into learning BJJ just for the sake of learning another skill, although it's interesting that most of the guys I spar with did it in reverse, starting with BJJ and transitioning into boxing - all because of injury. I always thought boxing was usually the first discipline someone in martial arts will pick up so it's a bit backwards to me. They all fought competitively in both, but if I pick up BJJ it'll just be to learn a new skill.

Where do you guys train BJJ? Any recommendations?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Took up boxing to get fit and as a personal challenge as a relatively shy and risk averse person at about ~30 after I had my first kid. Did it on and off for about a year and loved sparring (I am tall and surprisingly light so I'd always be put in with blokes several weight classes above me). Got close a fight but ****ed up my thumb and couldn't afford the risk working with my hands at the time so I gave it up. Have and office job now a decade later and would love to go again and have a couple fights but the publicity around concussions has got the wife s**t canning all of my unrealistic comeback plans. Reckon I'll regret not having any official fights down the line.

Took up boxing to get fit and as a personal challenge as a relatively shy and risk averse person at about ~30 after I had my first kid. Did it on and off for about a year and loved sparring (I am tall and surprisingly light so I'd always be put in with blokes several weight classes above me). Got close a fight but ****ed up my thumb and couldn't afford the risk working with my hands at the time so I gave it up. Have and office job now a decade later and would love to go again and have a couple fights but the publicity around concussions has got the wife s**t canning all of my unrealistic comeback plans. Reckon I'll regret not having any official fights down the line.
Yeah I took it up as well, re-fractured my forearm training but I still wanna tick off one amateur fight in the next year or 2.
The training is the funnest of any sport I've tried.

Good for you my man. Funnily enough my story is quite similar, I was 34 when I started training and had just had my son. Was 129 kegs, at 91 these days at 43, never been fitter, so yeah it's clearly been great for me.

I sparred at my old gym a few times, haven't yet at my new gym (last year and a half) but they want me to go in the Master's team this year. My wife is similarly not keen for this ha ha, I'm kind of a bit wary too in all honesty. A woman at our gym had a Masters fight last year, her opponent was on her boxing debut but had 10 pro Muay Thai fights! Of course our girl got knocked out cold, I'd be worried about a scenario like that.

Yeah I took it up as well, re-fractured my forearm training but I still wanna tick off one amateur fight in the next year or 2.
The training is the funnest of any sport I've tried.

You a cruiserweight? We should fight! :oops:

Good for you my man. Funnily enough my story is quite similar, I was 34 when I started training and had just had my son. Was 129 kegs, at 91 these days at 43, never been fitter, so yeah it's clearly been great for me.

I sparred at my old gym a few times, haven't yet at my new gym (last year and a half) but they want me to go in the Master's team this year. My wife is similarly not keen for this ha ha, I'm kind of a bit wary too in all honesty. A woman at our gym had a Masters fight last year, her opponent was on her boxing debut but had 10 pro Muay Thai fights! Of course our girl got knocked out cold, I'd be worried about a scenario like that.

You a cruiserweight? We should fight! :oops:
I'm 91kgs but I probably carry too much muscle right now cause I'm only 5'10 lol. Gotta heal the arm too 💪 but one day I'm always gonna say yes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back