Discussion What martial arts have you guys done?

Remove this Banner Ad

I did Shaolin Kung Fu. Systemless system. A black market version of Kung Fu where some "hidden" secrets were openly taught....much to the chagrin of higher ups who felt that kind of information should be learned much later in life like THEY had to wait and learn it. I did it for about 5 or so years, private one on one lessons. But I couldn't break into that higher echelon that other private students were breaking into or prepared to break into. I just found it too hard physically to push further....doing insanely fast things in 90 degree heat for extended periods of time, as well as acquiring that ability of strengthening your inner tissues so that you could THEN move into learning how to take hits from baseball bats, get driven over by a truck, etc etc. That's when I stopped.

I've always wanted to also learn Jeet Kune Do (Bruce Lee's systemless system of counter-attacking). And also the non-religious version of Aikido.

I still hope to learn even the core basics of both of those disciplines in the near future to compliment my Kung Fu knowledge.

I did Shaolin Kung Fu. Systemless system. A black market version of Kung Fu where some "hidden" secrets were openly taught....much to the chagrin of higher ups who felt that kind of information should be learned much later in life like THEY had to wait and learn it. I did it for about 5 or so years, private one on one lessons. But I couldn't break into that higher echelon that other private students were breaking into or prepared to break into. I just found it too hard physically to push further....doing insanely fast things in 90 degree heat for extended periods of time, as well as acquiring that ability of strengthening your inner tissues so that you could THEN move into learning how to take hits from baseball bats, get driven over by a truck, etc etc. That's when I stopped.

I've always wanted to also learn Jeet Kune Do (Bruce Lee's systemless system of counter-attacking). And also the non-religious version of Aikido.

I still hope to learn even the core basics of both of those disciplines in the near future to compliment my Kung Fu knowledge.

Shaolin kung-fu sounds epic and there were classes I could have done in that but opted for the wing chun which was just epic.

Jeet kune do would be good, depends on your training academy and getting a good instructor of course. wing chun was the martial art that Bruce Lee first started before he went onto start jeet kune do.

There are so many martial arts that are good out there ☺

On a serious note, has anyone dabbled in or know someone who has minor back issues? Keen to do it for fitness in the future but interested to hear if anyone has had any issues.

On a serious note, has anyone dabbled in or know someone who has minor back issues? Keen to do it for fitness in the future but interested to hear if anyone has had any issues.

Don't know anybody personally but IIRC, on Rogan's podcast one of his regular guests (Pretty sure it was either Joey Diaz or Anthony Bourdain) have mentioned back problems in relations to BJJ. As long as you pace yourself I'm sure that would be one of the lesser strenuous martial arts on the back.

Very keen to take up boxing/ muay thai, can anybody recommend any places in Melbourne to learn the fundamentals?

I had stress fractures in my lower back when I was younger (16) and a fractured vertebrae in my neck before I started doing MMA, Kickboxing and Jits. Did it for 5 years before I stopped. Never had any real issues aside from the standard lower back pain (as in training 4 nights a week for 2-3 hours a night didn't make my back issues any worse but they also didn't make it any better).

I started doing mma about 3 months ago and some minor back issues. I have a benign tumour on my left sciatic nerve so if I get hit or even brushed on the left side of my butt cheek it sends a lot of pain up my spine. The thing is I'm doing it more for fun and fitness so it's not too much of an issue for me. Some of the ground stuff is tricky because a lot of it involves hip strength which is pretty limited for me due to that issue

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I started doing mma about 3 months ago and some minor back issues. I have a benign tumour on my left sciatic nerve so if I get hit or even brushed on the left side of my butt cheek it sends a lot of pain up my spine. The thing is I'm doing it more for fun and fitness so it's not too much of an issue for me. Some of the ground stuff is tricky because a lot of it involves hip strength which is pretty limited for me due to that issue

Thanks for feedback mate, really appreciate it. Sorry to hear about your injury though, mine doesn't sound as nasty as yours, I've just got slight disc protrusion in my neck at the moment but think I should be ok in a couple of months.

If it's just fitness you are after then there is no reason to be taking risks, therefore no reason for grappling. Muay Thai or boxing are more than enough to keep you fit and sharp and capable of defending yourself if need be.

Don't know anybody personally but IIRC, on Rogan's podcast one of his regular guests (Pretty sure it was either Joey Diaz or Anthony Bourdain) have mentioned back problems in relations to BJJ. As long as you pace yourself I'm sure that would be one of the lesser strenuous martial arts on the back.

Very keen to take up boxing/ muay thai, can anybody recommend any places in Melbourne to learn the fundamentals?
For Muay Thai - the Sting gyms (Dandenong and Frankston) seem to produce a lot of fighters and aslo John Scida (st Albans) has a great reputation.
For boxing - The Oakleigh boxing Gym I found to be great and I would also recommend the
Fitzroy Stars Aboriginal Community Gym

If it's just fitness you are after then there is no reason to be taking risks, therefore no reason for grappling. Muay Thai or boxing are more than enough to keep you fit and sharp and capable of defending yourself if need be.

Fitness and to keep the mind sharp too though as well as having fun. Stand up in MMA is exciting but good ground matches I get absorbed in and really would love to try it one day to get a deeper understanding.

Again thanks for the feedback, muchos appreciated.

For Muay Thai - the Sting gyms (Dandenong and Frankston) seem to produce a lot of fighters and aslo John Scida (st Albans) has a great reputation.
For boxing - The Oakleigh boxing Gym I found to be great and I would also recommend the
Fitzroy Stars Aboriginal Community Gym

Which one do you go to?

Fitness and to keep the mind sharp too though as well as having fun. Stand up in MMA is exciting but good ground matches I get absorbed in and really would love to try it one day to get a deeper understanding.

Again thanks for the feedback, muchos appreciated.

Aren't ground matches harder for you because of this injury? I would have thought that a standing martial art is safer so to speak.

Eddie bravo

Aren't ground matches harder for you because of this injury? I would have thought that a standing martial art is safer so to speak.

Yeah of course, just wanted to see how much of a hinderance was.

I had started dabbling in some BJJ before I hurt my back about 4 years ago (after a car accident I buggered my facet joint which constantly inflames and causes pretty severe pain.)

After the accident I couldn't do it any more, my back would get too sore within about 10 minutes. Granted, I'm overweight, and I hadn't yet learned how much improving my core strength would help my back - but I'd already started with a little bit of boxing (more for fitness than for actual sparring) by the time I reached that epiphany, and not only was boxing much easier on my back, I thought it was better from the perspective of trying to keep healthy. I've come to suspect that for most back issues you could build up that core strength and not be terribly limited in doing anything.

The only other martial art I tried was tae kwon do when I was about 7 or 8 - according to my mum, when I realised that at some point that people would be hitting me, and it wouldn't just be me hitting them, I ran out of there crying :$

Currently doing Krav Maga (P3 level) and Muay Thai as well as some boxing on the side. I've also used to do ITF taekwondo (1st dan) and have dabbled in Japanese jujitsu. Would love to get in to some bjj and wrestling to compete in MMA but it's hard to find the time!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back