Discussion What martial arts have you guys done?

Started Karate when I was in primary school and started Boxing in my teens.

Haven't seen a dojo or gym in a decade and have the gut to prove it.

scotslad

Team Captain
Oct 24, 2016
Scotland
AFL Club
Melbourne
i did BJJ for 2 years and was close to blue belt but then had a series of back issues and stopped training. So good for your fitness and a lot of fun. Actually helped me out in a real life scenario too so very happy i learnt some basic skills

When I was doing wing chun the instructor that I had also incorporated a bit of BJJ in our classes too, as he had been learning this martial also because BJJ is/was taking off in a big way and it was interesting seeing both wing chun and BJJ combined, cos wing chun is more of a striking martial art and BJJ has excellent ground moves.

lion around

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2015
Outer Nowhere.
Other Teams
Fitzroy
I did 15 months of Hapkido. Then just over 12 months Karate and was also doing Boxing at a boxing club during all these.
I don't box any more but still do the training on average 5 mornings a week and it is a hard slog as I'm middle aged.
Anyway I have never needed to use any of these in self defence, but about 15 years ago a guy took a run at me from behind screaming he would kill me. Gently tilted to the left and flipped him over my right hip. He landed nearly breaking his arm and hip and was laying on the concrete finished. I just walked off and never even called an Ambulance.
Anyway I couldn't for the life of me work out what I had done and were it came from, few days later I worked out it must of been from Judo I did as a 6 year old. We drilled and drilled and drilled these throws and hey. Well it must of just came out of nowhere.
True.

May 29, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Got my purple belt in BJJ late last year after about five years. Not a particularly successful competitor, wish I had started a lot earlier.

I have a brown belt in karate from before that, went pretty well in both full contact and points tournaments.

I've trained in MMA and Muay Thai but never competed.

Aug 7, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Portland Trail Blazers
i did BJJ for 2 years and was close to blue belt but then had a series of back issues and stopped training. So good for your fitness and a lot of fun. Actually helped me out in a real life scenario too so very happy i learnt some basic skills
I did BJJ for three years and was close to a blue belt as well. In my last year I had too much going on and found it difficult to commit which in the end resulted in training stopping. Prior to that, I had done Karate for one year and Muay Thai kickboxing for four years.

I'm looking into Judo now, as I've always wanted to learn it. Now that my kids are all Primary School aged, I'll be looking to get them into something. Jui-Jitsu or Judo would be my choices.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Portland Trail Blazers
I know it's belated as I forgot about this thread but cheers mate!

I just got promoted to blue belt last weekend. I'm stoked!
Awesome! Keep up the good work. The sky's the limit from here!

I've just enrolled my 11-year-old son into BJJ. He will start after the school holidays finish.

Aug 7, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Portland Trail Blazers
Cheers guys!
Thats a great idea The Unforgiven! I only wish I started at that age too.
Same here. I started Karate at the age of fifteen, but I didn't enjoy it all that much. I started BJJ at seventeen but only stuck at it sporadically for three years.

I was doing Muay Thai at the same time, but gravitated more towards that as stand-up disciplines seem to come more naturally to me. I gave up both when the inevitable grind of life set in.

I had planned to get my son into BJJ earlier than now, but since we moved to regional South Australia a few years ago, commuting 45 minutes to our closest outer-metro school wasn't viable.

Luckily, a local fellow who's a brown belt, started running classes from his house and has quickly expanded to incorporate kids' classes. I also have a six-year-old daughter who is keen, too.

Jan 11, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Thinking of changing from mma to bjj. I got some fractured ribs on Monday night from a kick whilst sparring. I've been doing mma for about a year now but have found the striking is hard to pick up when you start later in life. I enjoy doing the ground stuff so once I heal up hopefully it will be an easy transition to bjj. Plus having belts to work towards I think will he a lot of fun too

Back