Discussion What martial arts have you guys done?

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thinking of changing from mma to bjj. I got some fractured ribs on Monday night from a kick whilst sparring. I've been doing mma for about a year now but have found the striking is hard to pick up when you start later in life. I enjoy doing the ground stuff so once I heal up hopefully it will be an easy transition to bjj. Plus having belts to work towards I think will he a lot of fun too
Agreed, that was my line of thinking about 7 years ago, - I had a recurring knee incident that kept getting kicked and hit with sloppy takedowns and decided it wasn't worth training with these people and just generally getting punched in the face so I switched and never looked back. :thumbsu:

deklares

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Robert Whittaker
Bayside, think Adrenaline MMA is the closest to me.
Did you end up giving it a look mate? Thinking about giving their submission grappling class a look. Just doing some strength and cardio training at the moment in preparation so I don't get injured.

Did you end up giving it a look mate? Thinking about giving their submission grappling class a look. Just doing some strength and cardio training at the moment in preparation so I don't get injured.

Na mate. Back and neck are still shizen, have heaps of physio before I even get back into running.

I've moved down the WesternPort area so might make it harder to get into it when I'm better, but heard heaps of great things about them though.

Let us know how you go though :thumbsu:

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Any of you been to Tiger Muay Thai in Phuket? I'm going there in a few weeks and wouldn't mind doing a session there. Purely as a rubbernecking thing really, I do a boxing circuit currently but don't spar or anything, they do beginner classes there and thought it might be fun.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
All I can think of is maybe hit them up on Facebook, they're that sought after that i'm sure they have info re: one-off training sessions for tourists etc, likely for exorbitant prices. :p

Yeah fair call, the prices I looked at were like 30 bucks for an hour, but you can get special prices if you can prove you live there or something. Would be good to go to a traditional Thai gym "that the tourists don't go to" but they might want to make me fight and I don't want that ha ha

Jan 11, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Any of you been to Tiger Muay Thai in Phuket? I'm going there in a few weeks and wouldn't mind doing a session there. Purely as a rubbernecking thing really, I do a boxing circuit currently but don't spar or anything, they do beginner classes there and thought it might be fun.
I’ve never been but the gym I train at does a yearly thailand trip and they train there. It’s meant to be really good for all levels of experience.

Yeah fair call, the prices I looked at were like 30 bucks for an hour, but you can get special prices if you can prove you live there or something. Would be good to go to a traditional Thai gym "that the tourists don't go to" but they might want to make me fight and I don't want that ha ha
They won't haha. Most gyms would expect you to train there for a couple weeks minimum before they even consider getting you in the ring.

Although you'd be hard pressed to find a traditional Thai gym without a single foreigner training there in Phuket.

If you're after a couple more traditional gyms for Muay Thai, PM me, I can give you a list of ones that I or people I know have trained at.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
They won't haha. Most gyms would expect you to train there for a couple weeks minimum before they even consider getting you in the ring.

Although you'd be hard pressed to find a traditional Thai gym without a single foreigner training there in Phuket.

If you're after a couple more traditional gyms for Muay Thai, PM me, I can give you a list of ones that I or people I know have trained at.

Thanks, PM sent.

Years ago a mate of mine went over to Thailand, he'd done kickboxing and muay thai for about 5 years with a few amateur fights and thought he was pretty good. He was 19 or 20 I think, he ended up sparring with a 12 year old who beat the * out of him ha ha, reckons it was devastating!

Thanks, PM sent.

Years ago a mate of mine went over to Thailand, he'd done kickboxing and muay thai for about 5 years with a few amateur fights and thought he was pretty good. He was 19 or 20 I think, he ended up sparring with a 12 year old who beat the **** out of him ha ha, reckons it was devastating!
Haha that sounds about right. I went over as a 20 year old thinking I could hold my own. I had a rude awakening when I trained with some of the kids over there.

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'd be pretty surprised if a place like that made you do sparring rounds. They know nothing about you so it'd be a big liability risk.

Re: pricing - I realise it's apples & oranges but I took some training gear to Singapore recently and hit up half a dozen BJJ gyms and the standard fee everywhere averaged about $60 for a single class. :oops:

bkozican

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2011
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Not sure if boxing is regarded as a Martial art...thats the only combat sport I have done...When I was like 15.

Have been looking into BJJ classes here in Perth. Anybody here go to any or have any suggestions?
Thanks guys

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Have you done any competitions??
In my 1st 5 or so years I used to do around 2 comps a year but a number of home circumstances pushed competing and regular training on the backburner for a bit, although did manage to get back on the horse and compete 2 months ago in a no gi event and I hope to try and squeeze another comp in before the end of the year. :)

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I'd be pretty surprised if a place like that made you do sparring rounds. They know nothing about you so it'd be a big liability risk.

Re: pricing - I realise it's apples & oranges but I took some training gear to Singapore recently and hit up half a dozen BJJ gyms and the standard fee everywhere averaged about $60 for a single class. :oops:

Yeah I don't think i'll have to fight ha ha. And BJJ seems a lot dearer, the boxing gym I go to is 800 bucks for a year, and I looked at the local BJJ gym and it was 1800! And I guess Singapore would be dear anyway but that seems really pricey.

Not sure if boxing is regarded as a Martial art...thats the only combat sport I have done...When I was like 15.

Have been looking into BJJ classes here in Perth. Anybody here go to any or have any suggestions?
Thanks guys

Ive had this argument before, I'd say boxing is regarded as a martial art for sure. Wikipedia tells me that "martial arts are codified systems and traditions of combat practices, which are practiced for a number of reasons: as self-defense, military and law enforcement applications, mental and spiritual development; as well as entertainment and the preservation of a nation's intangible cultural heritage."

Other than the fact boxing is associated with many different nations I think this fits the definition fine. Similarly with wrestling as well. I think these days people will differentiate between "traditional" martial arts like taekwondo, karate etc and martial arts overall. Though I reckon if you can wrestle and box well you'll be able to defend yourself much better than people who do a TMA. Any martial art where you do hard proper sparring are generally good self defence ones I think.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Finally had a crack at some sparring the other night down the gym, yeah this boxing thing is pretty hard ha ha! Copped a few, landed a few, overall learnt shitloads. Got so tired during it, and my left arm hurt way more than when just doing the bag etc, threw a lot more jabs than right hands. Very much beginner stuff but was a good start anyway.

lion around

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2015
Outer Nowhere.
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Finally had a crack at some sparring the other night down the gym, yeah this boxing thing is pretty hard ha ha! Copped a few, landed a few, overall learnt s**tloads. Got so tired during it, and my left arm hurt way more than when just doing the bag etc, threw a lot more jabs than right hands. Very much beginner stuff but was a good start anyway.
Finally had a crack at some sparring the other night down the gym, yeah this boxing thing is pretty hard ha ha! Copped a few, landed a few, overall learnt s**tloads. Got so tired during it, and my left arm hurt way more than when just doing the bag etc, threw a lot more jabs than right hands. Very much beginner stuff but was a good start anyway.
I used to do Boxing but started Krav Maga 6 months ago and am totally into that now. The instructor is a hard ass when it comes to conditioning and Cardio and I always come away at the end of the night wrecked.

Back