Discussion What martial arts have you guys done?

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
18 months into Muay Thai, also been doing Krav Maga the last 6 months. Highly recommend this to anyone. Really good self-defense and a lot more practical than most martial arts.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
18 months into Muay Thai, also been doing Krav Maga the last 6 months. Highly recommend this to anyone. Really good self-defense and a lot more practical than most martial arts.
I like Muay Thai. Something I always struggled with was kicking. Just started doing a few sessions and noticed how F**king good these guys are.

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I got my BJJ brown belt last Wednesday. Looking forward to the next competition, gonna be a huge challenge.
Well done!

I've been purple for 3.5 years, I know a surefire way to jinx it is to go out and buy a purple ranked rashguard. :tearsofjoy:
Lol.

Soo, speak of the devil and all that..

I got it. :straining:

:poo:

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
When i was still doing MMA stuff i sparred semi regularly with a few guys who were fighting (as part of their camps). I distinctly remember getting a straight punch, pretty firm right to the nose, broken, pissing out blood, hurt like buggery very early on in my spell with one of them.

This particular sparring was 10 x 5 minute rounds, fresh opponent for one person after 2 round (i was a sub in for two rounds). Idea being if you can go 10 rounds with fresh guys you can go 3 with 1 type thing)

Said fighter (who was in camp for a fight) came up to me afterwards and said i should take a fight, because honestly fighting was 90% having the guts to take a punch and not go into your shell.

Suffice to say, i never took a fight.

When i was still doing MMA stuff i sparred semi regularly with a few guys who were fighting (as part of their camps). I distinctly remember getting a straight punch, pretty firm right to the nose, broken, pissing out blood, hurt like buggery very early on in my spell with one of them.
How long did you do MMA and would you go back to it?

I'm in two minds about doing something in this area again... idk. It is alot of money tho. My hips also make this clicking sound. I struggled with things like crescent kick, at times it could be painful.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
How long did you do MMA and would you go back to it?

I'm in two minds about doing something in this area again... idk. It is alot of money tho.
I boxed when i was younger through footy, have kind of always done something with boxing since i was 12ish, even of late it might just be hitting a bag, skipping, shadow boxing.

Did proper MMA (MMA, Muay Thai, BJJ (no gi) for 5ish years.

I would love to but the time comittment and money comittment are just too much for me now. Id recommend it to anyone though. Great training, great discipline, great community.

Same. Really liked it- but lost interest eventually. It was really expensive and the classes just got bigger, less 1:1, felt like I wasnt actually getting better.

Same here. I got up to red belt (2 stripe) and then found that the classes would often practice patterns and such only up to Blue belt and I lost a lot of interest as a kid

Back