What messaging do you want to hear from the club right now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yubby

All Australian
Dec 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Aston Villa
We're all passionate Carlton supporters here and many of us are frustrated, angry and hurt with how the season is going. I've read plenty of comments over the past few weeks about people being numb to our performances and how we're a soulless club at the moment. To me the despair and hurt of the Carlton supporter base is incredibly strong right now and many are finding it hard to enjoy the footy at the moment.

Given how we are feeling I think it's incumbent on the club to address the supporter base and ramp up their messaging to us. I want to hear from the club about the predicament we are in and what we are doing about it. They have a responsibility to look after after us and steer us through this challenging period we are in right now.

In light of this, I'm keen to know what everyone wants to hear from the club right now? What do we need to hear? What do you want to hear? Who should it come from? What would you like to start hearing from the club? Or what would you not like to hear from the club? What do you want to see acknowledged publicly? What actions do you want to hear the club commit to?

For mine...
  • I want to here some acknowledgement and acceptance about our poor defensive qualities from David Teague and a plan of how we intend to address it. I want to publicly hear Teague say that poor defensive effort will not be tolerated and anyone not doing this will not be selected.
  • I also want to hear from the president about some type of comprehensive independent review that begins now, not at the end of the season, that reviews everything footy.
  • I want to stop hearing about roles being overruled within the club by others who should not be overruling them.
  • I want to see players played in their natural position and selected on form not reputation
  • I want to see intensity and desire from the 22 players that take the field for 4 quarters

What do others want to see and hear from the club right now?

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't think we need messaging. I think Gethelred said it elsewhere, hopefully I don't paraphrase you incorrectly, the clubs done a lot of messaging and the only purpose it serves is to get slammed back at the club, by frustrated supporters, media etc.

I think the club should overwhelmingly focus on sorting itself out, the peripherals will follow.

smashbox gill

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2008
Donnie
AFL Club
Carlton
We're all passionate Carlton supporters here and many of us are frustrated, angry and hurt with how the season is going. I've read plenty of comments over the past few weeks about people being numb to our performances and how we're a soulless club at the moment. To me the despair and hurt of the Carlton supporter base is incredibly strong right now and many are finding it hard to enjoy the footy at the moment.

Given how we are feeling I think it's incumbent on the club to address the supporter base and ramp up their messaging to us. I want to hear from the club about the predicament we are in and what we are doing about it. They have a responsibility to look after after us and steer us through this challenging period we are in right now.

In light of this, I'm keen to know what everyone wants to hear from the club right now? What do we need to hear? What do you want to hear? Who should it come from? What would you like to start hearing from the club? Or what would you not like to hear from the club? What do you want to see acknowledged publicly? What actions do you want to hear the club commit to?

For mine...
  • I want to here some acknowledgement and acceptance about our poor defensive qualities from David Teague and a plan of how we intend to address it. I want to publicly hear Teague say that poor defensive effort will not be tolerated and anyone not doing this will not be selected.
  • I also want to hear from the president about some type of comprehensive independent review that begins now, not at the end of the season, that reviews everything footy.
  • I want to stop hearing about roles being overruled within the club by others who should not be overruling them.
  • I want to see players played in their natural position and selected on form not reputation
  • I want to see intensity and desire from the 22 players that take the field for 4 quarters

What do others want to see and hear from the club right now?
I want the limited players - murph, gibbons, newnes, Casboult etc to be phased out and young players to be given a game and given important roles - LOB, Honey, SPS, Dow, Willo

even if this means the likes of Ed & Betts then so be it

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
I want the limited players - murph, gibbons, newnes, Casboult etc to be phased out and young players to be given a game and given important roles - LOB, Honey, SPS, Dow, Willo

Let's go further shall we, delist/trade every player 26+, hang on to every other player hoping they make it/live up to supporter expectations and when they don't, purge them at the same age

TwiggleyFanClub

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Sick of the spin, posts about someone taking a mark or actually managing an effective disposal, or BS feel-good fluff.
BS fiddling while Rome is burning stuff we have come to expect from CFC.

I want to hear they have commenced an independent review and will go through everything, from the Prez down the to boot studder. No mercy, no sacred cows. Not scorched earth for the sake of it, but uncompromising in finding out what walls we are putting up between this club and achieving excellence.
Not success, but excellence. Build an environment that fosters and demands excellence, and success will come.
Then I want to see a timeline for achieving it.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Seeing as this is a better thread for it...

I question the club's messaging to the fans and to the media.

There's no real appetite for Carlton to come good amidst the wider AFL. Opposition fans don't want it, the AFL has enough marquee teams now that they don't need it, and the broadcasters don't need us to win to bring in viewers. We've been absolutely awful, but at no point have we actively pursued not being the story. We've let them watch as we foundered, got belted; we invited them in as if to give them a look. We told them we had ambitions, and we cut too close to the bone. And we've been laughed at, derided, lampooned, scolded, lambasted as lazy, weak, soft; fairly some of the time, but a lot of the coverage of our rebuild - when contrasted to other examples, like Brisbane's or Melbourne's - has been patently unfair. Not for us any measure of understanding, but to some degree we haven't asked for it. Our messaging has always been front and centre; we're here to win a flag at the end of it.

A 66 game rebuild. Brendon Bolton. David Teague. Andrew Russell. Brad Lloyd. Stephen Silvagni. Stephen Trigg. MLG. Cain Liddle. 'Belonging'. 'Carlton Respects'. All of these things to draw the eye; 'Look at us, what we're doing! Look at how we're going, what we're planning!' Except all that stuff builds expectation, and expectation has been the death of the last four Carlton coaches, and may be the death of a fifth.

There's a marketing concept called demarketing; what you do when you need to decrease demand for your product. We needed to aggressively demarket ourselves early, and we needed to cool everyone's jets multiple times. Instead, we have the AFL media and Carlton putting pressure on the side and players recovering from injury to come back in and perform immediately. The response to this is, 'Well, they should be better than they are anyway! Everyone in the AFL has to deal with pressure!' but that ignores the reality that people under pressure do not make the best decisions, and we needed multiple ******* times to make the right decision from a list of unpalatable ones.

Do we give Barker the head job? Do we give Bolton or Voss the head job? What do we do with Andrew McKay? Who do we look at to run conditioning? Who's looking at rehab? Who's running the footy department, and who's reporting it to the board? Do we have the right faces talking to or in the media? Are we saying the right things? How are we managing expectations internally and externally? How influenced are our processes by external forces, both the obvious (media) and the undiscerned?

Entirely too much attention and pressure has been placed on coaching and the playing group, and that needed someone to get in front of it. We needed to not be in the press every ******* week in 2017 and 2018; we needed to have an aggressive nothing coming out about our expectations last year and this year. We were coming in facing a tricky draw, we haven't come on as we would've liked, and we had injuries to key players; the club needed to get in front of this and temper expectations, but what do we get instead? 'Is this the year Carlton make finals? They say yes!'

This is a pattern for us. We draw the limelight, and we needed someone to aggressively get in front of it. We needed someone - ironically - like Malthouse or McGuire to sit at the helm of the club, drawing the ire and being able to divert or distract the media away from the playing list and off onto a gaff or a sideshow; offer them something else to look at, for *'s sake. But instead we have MLG - for all that his management of Carlton has overseen long overdue changes - who cannot take that role, Chris Judd who is unequal to the task of being that media face, SOS who was both in the wrong role and too much of a curmudgeon to play the media successfully, and two external appointments who were professionals and had to be seen professionally in Trigg and Liddle. None of those people were 'right' to do what I'm suggesting, but none of them did much more than just allow the media to pontificate on what we 'should' be doing and who we 'should' have taken; countless vultures swooping down and dining on the carcass before them.

It doesn't help that we should've revamped development before list management, but hopefully that's a mistake that's salvageable. It'd be easier if there was VFL too and if the AFL didn't keep changing the ******* rules (and thereby the success criteria of the sport) but that's the weather rather than the road.

The club is now left between a rock and a hard place. The fans were made to expect finals, and given that messaging they had every right to. The media have brought their considerable weight to bear on the club, because they know (via their complicity in Bolton's removal) that we can and will blink if they press hard enough. They have a playing list that cannot stay on the park; they're playing multiple players through injury; the gameplan (such as there is actually a discernable gameplan) seemingly doesn't suit the list in its current form; the coaches are either wrong for their roles or are being pressured into making mistakes. Right now, decisions need to be made, but it is the precise worst possible circumstances to be making those decisions.

And all of this is the club's fault.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

btdg

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
There needs to be action.

Firstly - a full acknowledgement and apology that the club screwed it up. That the rebuild has failed, that our systems, processes and just about everything else are still way off the pace. Open admission that we got it horribly wrong.

Second - a full and brutal independent inquiry into EVERYTHING announced, beginning now, and reporting back day 1 of the off season. We want to know exactly how far behind we are, in what areas, and ultimately, what the plan is to recover.

That probably means blood but not necessarily. Will the players, coaches and staff participate fully in this, openly seek the process to grow and improve? Nope, not all will, and those that don't need to be culled mercilessly.

May 10, 2007
Under the table
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
Whatever it is, it would want to be good. I've tuned out to the club's messaging. We've showed that we're all talk, not much action.

We need football department pros/heavy-hitters who come from outside the club to cast a critical eye on how we do things. There's obviously deep flaws, blind-spots, softness and compromise within our club that those in charge either can't fix or are too complicit to fix.

The on-field result is the most dishonest, reliably inadequate team that is too lazy, soft and disorganised to ever be any good - despite some ELITE talent.

Listening to Murphy sook about being dropped when he was dropped about 30 games later than he should have been is a prime example of us - as a club - accepting sub-standard output and action.

We needed to aggressively demarket ourselves early, and we needed to cool everyone's jets multiple times.
This doesn't please anyone. They all need "A PLAN":

* The board needs A PLAN to show they are worthy of their positions.
* The players need to build expectations to get the good money.
* The coaches need to build expectations to keep their jobs: if they openly say "we're ****ed for 5 years" they will be white-anted by anyone who wants their job. 66-game rebuild was probably the longest-term "hold your horses" message I have seen.
* The media needs to build expectations to keep people watching ads.
* Marketing and membership departments need to build expectations to keep their jobs.

And so on.

So, we are happy to swap one group of limited players for another group of largely limited players, I'd prefer we had better players to choose from but oh well.

May as well see them in the team until the end of the year so that we can make a couple of calls. I'm not including Honey in this as he's injured and hasn't been around long, the others you've mentioned all have question marks associated with their names. I want to see them prove themselves worthy of a list spot (I'm only confident in one being able to do so at this stage) , if they can't then see ya to them too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back