What messaging do you want to hear from the club right now?

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
This doesn't please anyone.
Of COURSE it doesn't please anyone! The express purpose of doing that is to make people unhappy early to prevent them becoming furious due to unmet expectations.

It's 'the recession we had to have'; the idea that you take the hit early when you can take it in order to prevent risking a hit that will kill you later.

They all need "A PLAN":

* The board needs A PLAN to show they are worthy of their positions.
I agree.
* The players need to build expectations to get the good money.
And they can do that, without making as much of the bullshit publicization that goes on in this sport.
* The coaches need to build expectations to keep their jobs: if they openly say "we're f’ed for 5 years" they will be white-anted by anyone who wants their job. 66-game rebuild was probably the longest-term "hold your horses" message I have seen.
... which is why said message shouldn't be coming from the coaches.

Said message should come from the head of football, shouldn't be as blunt as 'we're ****ed for 5 years', and should redirect the media rather than seeking to give them information. If you need to, pick and employ someone like Sellers to be an old bastards and to turn as many questions back on the media as possible; hell, tell him that if he doesn't provide for them a soundbite a week that isn't hilarious, he's not got a job.

Do whatever it takes to minimize media analysis or conversation around our club, instead of allowing expectation to build year on year on year on year. Teague has only been formally coach at Carlton for one and a half seasons; it is waaaaay too soon to be considering dismissing him, yet here we are.

This is due to the club refusing to shape their messaging.
* The media needs to build expectations to keep people watching ads.
* Marketing and membership departments need to build expectations to keep their jobs.

And so on.
And they can accomplish that by setting their skills towards toeing the difficult line between keeping expectations realistic and honest whilst keeping Carlton as much out of the media as possible and point blank refusing takes from the media that will at any point cause pressure to be brought to bear on the club.

I'm not disputing that all components 'need a plan', I'm objecting to the plan they've chosen. The club have allowed the narrative to be controlled in no small part by the media, whose familiar story 'expectation for finals builds on Carlton' has caused both Ratten and Malthouse to lose their jobs, and now is likely to cause the removal of a second year coach.

The only mitigating factor is that the club is trying to audit so many departments that their messaging has been inconsistent, and due to that there has not been an overarching message throughout the rebuild, which is what I'm saying. But it is this lack that sees us in this situation now.

I'd like them to shut the fu** up and sort their sh*t out.
Totally agree. No sneaky leakers, no comments from the club. Just do their job and sort this s**t out!

goreds

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't think the media has to push very hard for the Blues fans to start screaming from the hills!

As soon as they open talk back on SEN it starts. They don't even invite the CFC supports on and yet they call and start swinging.

I for one used to kick the media at every possible opportunity but now I see that CFC only have themselves to blame...

After watching the news here in Sydney every night for 2 years and the saturation of NRL and yet, less than 1% is on the juggernaut that is the MELBOURNE STORM, just goes to show how being out of the media does wonders for club, culture and WINNING, see Swans as well....

I don't need the board, coaching department, or anybody else at the club to tell me anything. Just get to work on making us successful. Talks cheap, it means nothing until it starts translating into results. Show me improvement, that's what matters to me. At the end of every year, we can make our own judgements.
Recruit some players with leadership qualities and some heart.

I posted in last week's game thread that everything feels like a marketing stunt

Messaging isn't going to help.

It'll feel like more of the same.

It's time to show, not say.

Players - show commitment and intent on field and off. Those out of contract to stop the rumors and re-sign if you're going to.

Coaching - play players in their ideal positions, merit based selection, put players in a position to succeed, a willingness to change the gameplan more than just moving magnets

Front office - keep improving the books, improve the football culture

Those are what means more to me than anything else.

Last edited:

Weiterbot23

Cancelled
Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer Sponsor 2016 Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer 2009 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2008
Yarraville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
OKC
I'd like the club to call a press conference and announce $500 off all new Hyundai's to members

djholmes

All Australian
Oct 9, 2007
Tasmania
AFL Club
Carlton
The message should be, the season is over, we are now gonna give the kids a run, and see whether they are good enough.

Also, putting a timeframe on the rebuild was a bad decision. They shouldn't do that anymore. The message should be we will try win every game but make sure we give enough time to play the kids. Its laughable that Gibbons in the last 2 years has played more games than each of Dow, SPS and O'Brien (all top ten draft picks).

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Totally agree. No sneaky leakers, no comments from the club. Just do their job and sort this sh*t out!
Now that they've done ****ed up, that's the only course for them.

'No comment.' They can say what they like, speculate and do what they like; club needs to shut house, strangle any leaks, and the football department needs to do their jobs. I'd be content if Teague got out a static machine for his press conferences, and just sat there; but then, I don't think press conferences are worth much, anyway.

Not each other's jobs; their personal and specific job.

May 10, 2007
Under the table
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
The message should be, the season is over, we are now gonna give the kids a run, and see whether they are good enough.

As soon as we announce the season is over, our team will play with freedom, enthusiasm and energy and probably string some wins together. Maybe we should announce 2022 is over as well, and we might be OK from the start.

Now that they've done f’ed up, that's the only course for them.

'No comment.' They can say what they like, speculate and do what they like; club needs to shut house, strangle any leaks, and the football department needs to do their jobs. I'd be content if Teague got out a static machine for his press conferences, and just sat there; but then, I don't think press conferences are worth much, anyway.

Not each other's jobs; their personal and specific job.
What they need to do is drop the same "confidential" information on the people who they suspect of being the leakers, but with slight differences. If the info makes it into the media, they have their leaker and can deal with them.

I would like the Board to acknowledge that the on-field performance of the team is the number one priority.

I am not interested in hearing about the off-field stuff, i dont care how many members we have, dont give a rats who is sponsoring the club, not interested in how much money we have got to redevelop Princes Park and i dont barrack for the final number on the balance sheet.

I want to hear what the plan is to turn around the club's on-field performance.

Back