What MMA training gyms are there in Melbourne?

Remove this Banner Ad

Deej

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
And further, I saw a PCW entertainment wrestling poster in hallam the other day in a shop window, apparently they do regular shows at some joint in Rowville. Is there an MMA org here in Melbourne that does events that general public can attend? (and swill beer like a redneck, boo when lack of action etc):) just kiddin

I want to see some UFC-style fighting in the flesh. I reckon i could get a swag of mates together to come along on a monthly basis.

There are a few.

Spartan reality fight. Originally in QLD and has done some in NSW and I think one in Melb
Shooto have events in Melb, but you'll find it more of a martial arts event. No Beer drinking ;)
Reality Fight which I think is in QLD
Wariors Realm on the Goald Coast.

Last year (or the one before I can't remeber) one of my BJJ instructors was going to do an MMA exebition match in Melbourne for the powers that be at a K1 event as part of push to introduce MMA events in Victroia. At the time it was banned. Unfortunately the other guy pulled out as he was a blue belt and a so so at stand up. Cam is like a 10 time BJJ National, Victorian and Pan pacific BJJ champion and one of the first Shootfighting blackbelts in the country. Needless to say he probably made the right choice.

Apart from that the only guy in Melbourne who does MMA training (Or at least qualified to do it) is a guy called John "the Rev" Jensen. He used to train at my and Mag's club. Good bloke, actual Revrened, does a lot of work with disadvantaged kids.

There are a few.

Spartan reality fight. Originally in QLD and has done some in NSW and I think one in Melb
Shooto have events in Melb, but you'll find it more of a martial arts event. No Beer drinking ;)
Reality Fight which I think is in QLD
Wariors Realm on the Goald Coast.

XFC was the big one in QLD...they have all sorta died the past 12 months or so. Im not sure what has happened, but ever since the shooting at the Kickboxing card up there, nothing has been the same. Shooto did two or three MMA shows, now do tradition martial arts type stuff yea. Warriors Realm has a show coming up in QLD.

King of the Cage has done a couple shows lately in Syd. Bonello v Parr was the last main event by memory.

Last year (or the one before I can't remeber) one of my BJJ instructors was going to do an MMA exebition match in Melbourne for the powers that be at a K1 event as part of push to introduce MMA events in Victroia. At the time it was banned. Unfortunately the other guy pulled out as he was a blue belt and a so so at stand up. Cam is like a 10 time BJJ National, Victorian and Pan pacific BJJ champion and one of the first Shootfighting blackbelts in the country. Needless to say he probably made the right choice.

Cam who may I ask? Did he ever fight MMA?

I remember Tarik put a fight on one of his K1 shows - two grapplers tho and it bored everyone to tears. I was there at Crown and it didnt go down well at all. He hardly touched MMA after that, bar one show up in QLD I think.

MMA and Kickboxing will never mix, not on the same show. Different sets of crowds which dont mesh well at all.

Apart from that the only guy in Melbourne who does MMA training (Or at least qualified to do it) is a guy called John "the Rev" Jensen. He used to train at my and Mag's club. Good bloke, actual Revrened, does a lot of work with disadvantaged kids.

What do you mean "only guy who does MMA training"??

Melbourne has had many a MMA fighter.

The biggest gym was the old underworld on flinder st which went under. Matt Trihey was the main MMA guy there, looked like Tarzan, fought like Jane. Head to toe in Tats, starting off something like 0-8. John Donehue, who was the Shooto MMA promoter, had a gym too...still may.

Arguably Australias best MMA fighter, Hector Lombard (contracted to Pride) trains, well unless something has changed, with Joe Demicoli in Keilor.

In short, MMA shows in Melbourne? Very few and far between. Probably only 3 dedicated shows ever, last one being probably 3 years ago now.

Cam who may I ask? Did he ever fight MMA?
Cam Rowe, BJJ brown belt at DMMA. He has never fought in MMA competition.

MMA and Kickboxing will never mix, not on the same show. Different sets of crowds which dont mesh well at all.
Agree with that. Way different type of demographic.

What do you mean "only guy who does MMA training"??

Melbourne has had many a MMA fighter.

The biggest gym was the old underworld on flinder st which went under. Matt Trihey was the main MMA guy there, looked like Tarzan, fought like Jane. Head to toe in Tats, starting off something like 0-8. John Donehue, who was the Shooto MMA promoter, had a gym too...still may.

Arguably Australias best MMA fighter, Hector Lombard (contracted to Pride) trains, well unless something has changed, with Joe Demicoli in Keilor.

I'd argue that Perosh or Sinosic would be close. But they're in sydney.

The Rev, who drew's talking about is http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?FighterID=82. He's fought some good guys in KOTC, like Dan Severn and Dean Lister. He's also a brown belt at BJJ. He's originally from the states.

He's a top guy and trains somewhere in the western suburbs (Sunshine/Footscray?) and occasionally with us guys at DMMA. He's produced some sweet DVD's on leg locks and other nasty stuff :)

Elvis perhaps, but no way Perosh. Hasnt ever won outside of domestic fighters, and even then got bashed by Nest.

Current active fighters, id say Sinsosic, Bonello, Lombard, Lima and Higgins are our best. Lima the best BJJer in the country, Lombard a world class judo player, and the others are relatively rounded, with Elvis having great MMA experience yet his control form his 'strength' BJJ very questionalbe at MMA level IMO.

yea i know who John is, he was doing seminars a while back yea? I was simply questioning him being the ONLY one capable of teaching.

The problem with the growth of the sport in melb compared to syd is the MMA experience factor. Many gyms/trainers in Syd and QLD have MMA experience and can grow from there.

Here in Melbourne, its basically Will BJJ and Donehue - both of which are BJJ guys who havnt crossed over to MMA, training MMA. Yes, I know Donehue trained Randy in the states, and he is a top bloke, but MMA isnt what it was even 5 years ago. A freak BJJer simply cant walk into a cage a do well - so much more knowledge and ability now.

The sport is still at BJJ/crossing over dojo level in Melbourne. Syd and Qld have had genuine MMA gyms - there is a difference between a dojo and gym environment.

Elvis perhaps, but no way Perosh. Hasnt ever won outside of domestic fighters, and even then got bashed by Nest.

Current active fighters, id say Sinsosic, Bonello, Lombard, Lima and Higgins are our best. Lima the best BJJer in the country, Lombard a world class judo player, and the others are relatively rounded, with Elvis having great MMA experience yet his control form his 'strength' BJJ very questionalbe at MMA level IMO.

yea i know who John is, he was doing seminars a while back yea? I was simply questioning him being the ONLY one capable of teaching.

The problem with the growth of the sport in melb compared to syd is the MMA experience factor. Many gyms/trainers in Syd and QLD have MMA experience and can grow from there.

Here in Melbourne, its basically Will BJJ and Donehue - both of which are BJJ guys who havnt crossed over to MMA, training MMA. Yes, I know Donehue trained Randy in the states, and he is a top bloke, but MMA isnt what it was even 5 years ago. A freak BJJer simply cant walk into a cage a do well - so much more knowledge and ability now.

The sport is still at BJJ/crossing over dojo level in Melbourne. Syd and Qld have had genuine MMA gyms - there is a difference between a dojo and gym environment.

Yeah fair enough and agree. You're probably right about Perosh, but I heard that he was hard done by in that fight, I didn't see it personally. He is a gun in JJ though.

And I agree with your observations. I'd say Sydney does have a better MMA scene, but Melbourne's BJJ is easily comparable, I'd say Victorias top BJJ'ers would hold their own against any in Australia. Speaking more of freaks like Murray Ballenden and George Sotiropoulos.

Speaking of George, I reckon he'll do very well at the MMA level. He really has that killer instinct. I'd put him in our best. :thumbsu:

Yep Sots has a great BJJ base.

Hopefully he goes well, should have 2 wins over Noke from reports.

Errrrp appologies.

I was meaning the only MMA trainer I know of.

I've competed against a few of Donehue's BJJ guys, didn't know he was training MMA aswell, though I knew he trained with Gene Le Bell. Smokin, do you train in any way? You talk of seminars etc, seems like you would. I know a few blokes that trained at underworld while it was running.

Yea, Ive been in and around boxing gyms since I was around 11-12 - my old man was a boxer. I know a lot of people in boxing, kickboxing and MMA in general.

Spending a lot of time on the Gold Coast for work, it was a pretty small place and got to know a fair few MMA people - and have trained a bit on the mat. Ok to get by I guess.

Smokin' , where did you first see Hector?
I used to see him at Hangar 4,and he is a phenom,product of the communist system in Cuba.
George is also a gun,beat Cesar Gracie in a MMA fight last year?

Smokin' , where did you first see Hector?
I used to see him at Hangar 4,and he is a phenom,product of the communist system in Cuba.
George is also a gun,beat Cesar Gracie in a MMA fight last year?

First met Hector through Joe Demicoli, who was training him. I havnt spoken to Joe lately, so Im not sure if he still is training him. I heard a rumour Hector was going to train with 5 Rings on the Gold Coast, but dunno how true that is.

George beat Cesar Gracie under MMA rules? Havnt heard that one and not on his record. Perhaps a grappling tournament?

I saw George beat Lima's mate bittencourt on the gold coast, he was supposed to be well credentialled, and George beat him easy. Very good fighter and hopefully goes a long way. Is he still living in Geelong?

First met Hector through Joe Demicoli, who was training him. I havnt spoken to Joe lately, so Im not sure if he still is training him. I heard a rumour Hector was going to train with 5 Rings on the Gold Coast, but dunno how true that is.

George beat Cesar Gracie under MMA rules? Havnt heard that one and not on his record. Perhaps a grappling tournament?

I saw George beat Lima's mate bittencourt on the gold coast, he was supposed to be well credentialled, and George beat him easy. Very good fighter and hopefully goes a long way. Is he still living in Geelong?

Think he beat him in a grappling event. As a matter of fact I'm not even sure it was George, could have been that Brown dude from Donahue. Something along the lines of takedown, 2 points, stall in guard for 10 minutes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could be wrong about the MMA part guys,but I was at the Hangar when he got back and they definitely said he fought Cesar,and I think it was in Guam.I suppose that's whyb it stuck in my memory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back