What needs to be done to remove Demetriou

Remove this Banner Ad

TriX78

Club Legend
Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Does anyone know how Demetriou can be removed from the being top boss of the AFL? Is this a process that the clubs have to go through or does the commission appoint who they feel will be right?

Who can sack Demetriou? Or is he like a great dictator and that he will remove himself when he sees fit?

After todays revelation that he tipped off the bombers and his constant protecting and helping of the bombers he needs to go, but how?

• Banned
Its weird that he has surrounded himself with his good mates and people who he owed favours too after they got him where he is now.

Who is going to tap him on the shoulder and say "time to move on Andrew and allow someone else to control the code"

• Banned
To be replaced by one of his mates?

We need someone who has no association with the boys club to come in and sack them all. Maybe a Jeff kennett type?

He doesn't need to be removed because crowds and revenue are at an all time high. That's all that matters apparently. :(

Haha yeah, I have been pissing myself laughing will all this talk of record crowd numbers in the last two years. Of course the crowd numbers are higher Andrew, there's 9 games a week now!

It would be ohh so nice if ethics and business complimented each other... The actual fact that they are polar oppisites says something about everybodys position in life...

Does anyone know how Demetriou can be removed from the being top boss of the AFL? Is this a process that the clubs have to go through or does the commission appoint who they feel will be right?

Who can sack Demetriou? Or is he like a great dictator and that he will remove himself when he sees fit?

After todays revelation that he tipped off the bombers and his constant protecting and helping of the bombers he needs to go, but how?

The competition would have to begin losing money every quarter for a long amount of time (1 year at least), then the TV networks would have to display their unhappiness with the current operation, as would a lot of financial backers.

To cut this short, the game you seem to enjoy would have to suffer GREATLY to have it's boss thrown out.

So is the game suffering now, or are you just slightly annoyed about a baseless allegation in The Age?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats not the point and one that Demetrou apologists seem to keep harping on about.

I want to know how he can be removed and replaced.

I don't think you understand what a CEO's Job is. It's to make the business money and he is.

The board can remove him with a majority vote, but why would they when they're rolling in the dough?

Exactly.

The only way fans would be able to influence Demertriou leaving would be to hit the AFL's pocket. If fans did a boycott and didn't attend any games got a week, a move would be made.

I don't think you understand what a CEO's Job is. It's to make the business money and he is.

The board can remove him with a majority vote, but why would they when they're rolling in the dough?

This isn't a "for profit" organisation answerable only to shareholders. The CEO's role is definitely NOT to only make money, it's to ensure the integrity and ongoing quality of the product.

He needs to go. He is ruining the game, i cant find one person who actually thinks football today is better than what it was 5 years ago. Its gone downhill, and the only reason it hasnt affected its popularity is because no matter what happens supporters will keep supporting and watching the code.

Hopefully he leaves after this, but then one of his henchmen will take the reign and continue his dictatorship.

What needs to be done with the AFL is exactly what the AFL is doing with Melbourne by getting an independent person Peter Jackson to clean things up. But who does that to the AFL?

How much of a cut do the AFL get out of team memberships? I've been an AFL member for years but am just about shot of all their nonsense. Would getting a Geelong membership instead of renewing the AFL one have any effect? That's the only thing I can think of, if supporters make a point of supporting their clubs rather than the association as a whole. As long as that hurts the AFL financially. The current administration and Andy D are being shown every day to be agenda-driven and corrupt and it's disgusting that they're safe in their positions purely due to money. I honestly wish I didn't love my club so much because I feel dirty supporting this league.

This isn't a "for profit" organisation answerable only to shareholders. The CEO's role is definitely NOT to only make money, it's to ensure the integrity and ongoing quality of the product.

I can't believe people are trying to cross over what is essentially a not for profit organisation. As you say there are no ma or pa shareholders. If anything, we, the paying public are the shareholders yet we are being duped by a guy who has been given a decade to set up a nice payday for himselves and his mates. Look at who he has given top jobs too - most of them if not all are his close mates.

The AFL is not some big business multinational corporation, as much as Vlad tries to think it is.

So no one really has any idea how to remove him? So he can stay as CEO as long as he seems fit?

Yep money has nothing to do with it... Players just want to play the game and for their club. Even though after 10 years they will most likely be broken physically for the rest of their lives and have to start a new career all over again. And also lets not forget the clubs (all of them) are screaming each week for more of the money the AFL has to keep them afloat and in front.

Yep who needs money :rolleyes:

27oo.png

Eight members make up the AFL commission (clubs can nominate a member) and the commission elect the CEO. Once the commission make a decision the clubs can overturn the decision but they need 75% of the vote.

I doubt the commission would remove Demetrio. I also doubt that the clubs would ever overturn a commission decision. IMO he would have to resign.

Not entering the debate about whether he has done a god job or not, just stating how it works.

There is a very big difference between a normal business and Footy - AFL is a sport that makes its money from the continued support of the public with the product received by the public for their $ being to a large extent the belief that it is a real sport and under a somewhat level playing field - that image is massively getting tarnished to the point that AFL is becoming more like the WWE every day - turning into a purely entertainment machine with no-one believing it is a sport at all.

So how far down that road do you want the AFL to go?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back