What painkillers are the players taking in game?

mick500

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not sure where to post this.

Just wondering what they are allowed to take, saw quite a few players today popping a few pills, and wondered what level of painkiller they are allowed in game, is it nurofen, panadol, aspirin, panadeine forte etc.

The fact the commentators called them painkillers earlier made me think it must be more than a panadol and more likely a panadeine forte or similar.

With the opiate crisis are we breeding a generation of opiate addicted athletes?

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Was coached by an ex-AFL player once who made us all take 2 anti-inflammatories before a game so we wouldn't be bothered by general knocks or strains. Also said his club employed the same tactic during his career.
I still do it to this day. Although sometimes it can be a worry. Copped a blindside tackle in a preliminary final that jarred my shoulder up a little. Thought nothing of it until the adrenaline and pills wore off later that night and couldn't move my arm above 90 degrees. Needed the anti-inflamms every day just to get through training for the grand final. This was two years ago and still have trouble with it every now and then.
But I would suggest that or panadol is all the players would take.

mick500

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Was coached by an ex-AFL player once who made us all take 2 anti-inflammatories before a game so we wouldn't be bothered by general knocks or strains.
When you say anti inflamatories I assume you mean like nurofen /ibuprofen or aspirin?

mick500

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
The risk is always the stomach ulcers like Porplyzia was hospitalised for from sustained use.
Sounds like nurofen. They are known for causing stomach ulcers.

Pretty sure plopper played a yr with his shoulder popping out as well as Neil Craig wanted him available for finals and didn't send him in for surgery. Would make sense as to why he got the stomach ulcers if he was taking excessive amounts of nurofen to play and getting dehydrated and training etc. Would be pretty dirty if i were him.

Sounds like nurofen. They are known for causing stomach ulcers.

Pretty sure plopper played a yr with his shoulder popping out as well as Neil Craig wanted him available for finals and didn't send him in for surgery. Would make sense as to why he got the stomach ulcers if he was taking excessive amounts of nurofen to play and getting dehydrated and training etc. Would be pretty dirty if i were him.
It's a side effect of non steroidal anti inflammatories, just so as not to isolate just neurofen as the cause.

Cheers mate. That's the kind of info we are all here for. No link, no info. Just "It's out there somewhere". Brilliant. Love your work.
Dean Wallis is the keeper of the spreadsheet, if you get in contact with him he'll pass the info on.

Mar 1, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts F.C, GWS
Cheers mate. That's the kind of info we are all here for. No link, no info. Just "It's out there somewhere". Brilliant. Love your work.
the-joke-you-31838472.png

Barrysballs

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
"With pain killers on match day you are allowed to use Panadol and aspirin but not anything that has a narcotic component.
Doc Larkins

Barrysballs

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Was coached by an ex-AFL player once who made us all take 2 anti-inflammatories before a game so we wouldn't be bothered by general knocks or strains. Also said his club employed the same tactic during his career.
I still do it to this day. Although sometimes it can be a worry. Copped a blindside tackle in a preliminary final that jarred my shoulder up a little. Thought nothing of it until the adrenaline and pills wore off later that night and couldn't move my arm above 90 degrees. Needed the anti-inflamms every day just to get through training for the grand final. This was two years ago and still have trouble with it every now and then.
But I would suggest that or panadol is all the players would take.
Yeah this cut my playing days short,
2 x voltaren
2 x aspirin
2 x berocca
2 x scoops of jacked 3d
Dominated on game day, could barely walk the rest of the week and was dropping the codiene + like candy.

It's a side effect of non steroidal anti inflammatories, just so as not to isolate just neurofen as the cause.

It also tends to require very large doses or overly regular use, so taking a few during a game is not a problem.

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
"With pain killers on match day you are allowed to use Panadol and aspirin but not anything that has a narcotic component.
Doc Larkins
I’m surprised by this. If it’s anything like cycling who follow WADA, I’m surprised Tramadol isn’t as widely abused as it is in cycling.

Jack Bobrige’s Australian road race championship win was won on a diet of dexies and tramadol the whole day.

Back