What personal view of your football team do you have that the majority of your fellow supporters not agree with?

Paganism mark II

Etihad Stadium, Locker room end
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We all have our own opinions, and mostly we have a common acknowledgment with our fellow fans as to what we think of the club, players, coach etc.
But we also have some opinions on our team that the majority of our own fans take umbrage to.

For me....the term “shinboner spirit”. I hate it! It’s a term that gets thrown around in good times and forgotten quickly in the bad, as things are now.
It suggests you’re a club who survives purely on being the down trodden underdog, punching above his weight constantly, even when things are good.
It suggests that skill, success etc is not a hallmark of the club. It actually serves as a self fulfilling prophecy.
I do have a lot of arguments about it with fellow North fans....I’d love our ethos to be something different. We can’t use this “shinboner spirit” when we get blown off the park in games like last Good Friday.

Where was this “shinboner spirit” then? We gave in meekly.

Would like to hear from others what opinions they have that cause their fellow fans the most angst.

And for what it’s worth....if any North fan is going to get on here calling me a “troll” etc for actually having a genuine, non biased opinion, don’t bother. There’s team boards for people that don’t like negative feedback

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
We all have our own opinions, and mostly we have a common acknowledgment with our fellow fans as to what we think of the club, players, coach etc.
But we also have some opinions on our team that the majority of our own fans take umbrage to.

For me....the term “shinboner spirit”. I hate it! It’s a term that gets thrown around in good times and forgotten quickly in the bad, as things are now.
It suggests you’re a club who survives purely on being the down trodden underdog, punching above his weight constantly, even when things are good.
It suggests that skill, success etc is not a hallmark of the club. It actually serves as a self fulfilling prophecy.
I do have a lot of arguments about it with fellow North fans....I’d love our ethos to be something different. We can’t use this “shinboner spirit” when we get blown off the park in games like last Good Friday.

Where was this “shinboner spirit” then? We gave in meekly.

Would like to hear from others what opinions they have that cause their fellow fans the most angst.

And for what it’s worth....if any North fan is going to get on here calling me a “troll” etc for actually having a genuine, non biased opinion, don’t bother. There’s team boards for people that don’t like negative feedback
Your team board is protected from negative feedback? I go to another forum to talk to Giants supporters.

Nov 8, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Robert Murphy was a very self interested and narcissistic individual when wanting to captain the Bulldogs in 2017 after Easton Wood had done a fine job in 2016 and was only the second premiership captain in the clubs history.

There was absolutely no benefit to a guy turning 35 and coming back from a serious injury being captain for his last season and needlessly stalling the leadership development of others. Murphy could have easily retained a behind the scenes leadership role without being captain in 2017.

The fact that the club accepted this indicated weakness and a lack of killer instinct required for the sustained success achieved by other teams like Hawthorn.

Murphy is not a humble individual. He is a selfish narcissist that enjoys the smell of his own shits more than most.

Last edited:

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
More talking about there’s a variety of threads on team boards where they can all talk how great everyone/everything is
Ahhhh. Oops.

Anyway what I can't handle is the constant criticism if Our our medical/ high performance staff. At times it's abuse and it gets very specific as to whether a player should have an operation. Like people without qualifications or details of the injury have a valid medical opinion.

We had a shitty run with injuries for a couple of years and it's frustrating. I just cant concieve the thought orocess that thinks that's ok though.

Paganism mark II

May 15, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Robert Murphy was a very self interested and narcissistic individual when wanting to captain the Bulldogs in 2017 after Easton Wood had done a fine job in 2016 and was only the second premiership captain in the clubs history.

There was absolutely no benefit to a guy turning 35 and coming back from a serious injury being captain for his last season and needlessly stalling the leadership development of others. Murphy could have easily retained a behind the scenes leadership role without being captain in 2017.

The fact that the club accepted this indicated weakness and a lack of killer instinct required for sustained success achieved by other teams like Hawthorn.

Murphy is not a humble individual. He is a selfish narcissist that enjoys the smell of his own shits more than most.
I was amazed he played in 2017, qt his age coming off a knee reco.
Perhaps the lure of a premiership tobsee him out?

Paganism mark II

May 15, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ahhhh. Oops.

Anyway what I can't handle is the constant criticism if Our our medical/ high performance staff. At times it's abuse and it gets very specific as to whether a player should have an operation. Like people without qualifications or details of the injury have a valid medical opinion.

We had a shitty run with injuries for a couple of years and it's frustrating. I just cant concieve the thought orocess that thinks that's ok though.

The injury list at the Giants in the past few seasons has been nothing short of amazing. Then Callan Ward finally gets back and gets injured in his first quarter back.
The depth of that club and talent there to keep going to September is remarkable

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
The injury list at the Giants in the past few seasons has been nothing short of amazing. Then Callan Ward finally gets back and gets injured in his first quarter back.
The depth of that club and talent there to keep going to September is remarkable
The jury is out in this year. Ward was horrible, but a single event.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
I’m probably less of a fan of Eddie Betts than a lot of Carlton fans.

Yes the club basically chose Dale Thomas over him, but Eddie’s form in his last Carlton seaosn didn’t exactly help his cause. He was looking to get paid but for a lot of that season he wasn’t anywhere near the player he has been in the seasons before.

Just from watching him he looked like a player who had his mind on the next season.

Thistle

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, ICT, Glory
Sandilands is an overrated ruckman and not a smart footballer:

- Has the height but doesn't have a great leap
- Doesn't take enough contested marks
- Too often handballs to a team mate is under pressure
- When he has an uncontested hitout he always thumps it forward instead of looking to tap it to a runner
- His lack of ground coverage hurts us both ways.

Last edited:

Paganism mark II

May 15, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Surplus of midfield stars will mean we're in a position to offload some quality in order to fill a need (key forward).

Would trade Steele Sidebottom at years end for said KPF.
Absolutely!
Heap of options to go through the middle, only weakness is a forward line with Cox the only tall.
Great point

Paganism mark II

May 15, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Brisbane Lions have the worst coaching staff in the AFL other than Fagan and perhaps Nobel most of them are okay at best the Lions in the next pre-season should be on the lookout for some decent assistant coaches Luke Power and Luke Hodge would be a good start
We are in pretty much the same boat with Crocker and Tudor

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Surplus of midfield stars will mean we're in a position to offload some quality in order to fill a need (key forward).

Would trade Steele Sidebottom at years end for said KPF.
What KPF would you give up Steele for that is realistically obtainable?

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

The fact that the club accepted this indicated weakness and a lack of killer instinct required for the sustained success achieved by other teams like Hawthorn.

Brilliant

Back