What personal view of your football team do you have that the majority of your fellow supporters not agree with?

Remove this Banner Ad

Similarly, I believe that Gary Ablett Sr should not have any part of the ground named after him.

Also that, given it's 2019, someone needs to ask more about ex-Cat behaviour - like who was in the circle that decided to trap and urinate on a young gay man on a night out, or how Mick Turner got his nickname of "Windows".
There are some stories in there for sure.

Never heard the urinating on a gay guy story before. What era are you talking?

Maybe he should've and then again maybe not. Who are we as mortals to ask such questions?

He knew she hadn't taken heroin before and he lied to her about it, telling her it was cocaine, a drug she was familiar with. She took it unwittingly, and for that he is culpable.

I absolutely despise the hero and champion aura put upon Darren Millane’s head by Collingwood supporters. His decisions were to be frank, absolutely disgusting and it’s a good thing that he didn’t take anybody else out besides himself. Was a very good footballer in his time but I don’t care for him at all, and I certainly don’t consider him a champion of our club.

Last edited:
I have said this countless times.

Stunningly irresponsible decision and only sheer luck an innocent party wasn’t killed.
Would he be remembered so fondly if he caused the death of a family in another vehicle?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

**** himself too many times in finals to be considered immortal
I don't disagree that he had a few ordinary Grand Finals, but it's probably fair to remember that Geelong got smashed in '94 and '95, and he was nearly 31 by the 1992 finals series. Carey is the obvious comparison; he was in a very good side from the age of 22, and won his last flag at 28.

Ablett didn't play his first final till he was almost 28 (1989), and still holds the record for most goals kicked in a finals series... where he played most of it at half-forward.

The closest equivalent back in Ablett's early-to-mid 20s would have been the State of Origin games... where he was very good, and in one game, just exceptional.

St.Kilda deserved to win the 2009 GF and we got extremely lucky. At various points we really should have been five goals down but for a few healthy slices of luck; luckily, they ran out of steam in the last quarter.

Gary Rohan has been good for us, but a player who gets involved so little will be difficult to carry when the going gets tough.

It's been in the news a little bit lately, but here's my view:

Should we make the finals this year and are to host a final, I'd rather we play on the MCG rather than at GMHBA. I don't want to see anyone locked out of the match, especially Cats fans. Now that we have 60,000 members, plenty would miss out if we play a home final. I was pretty lucky to get a good spot at the home final we had in 2013, and as a member who turns up to GMHBA rain, hail or shine I'd really not like to run the risk of missing out (or have a higher chance of missing out than at the 'G)

And we've been not too bad on the 'G so far this year, so it's not like it's a huge disadvantage

So much this .
It’s something I just could never fathom-
It truly is an utter indictment on so many peoples morals and ethics how such a heinous crime (and other indiscretions) of Ablett snr seems to get “so casually” swept under the carpet, all because he was good at football

I just googled this for the first time and the lack of any real information is pretty telling. It would appear a mini cover up has taken place.

That Cotchin wasn't wrong by kicking into the wind vs Port 2016 EF.

Typically most finals start out congested, scrappy, and low scoring because both teams are intent on maximizing pressure. After the first quarter, games tend to open up as players can't keep up the same intensity on the ball. I'm guessing the plan was to have a tight 1st quarter into the wind, before opening the game up with the wind in the 2nd.

Obviously this didn't go to plan but the way some people (bigfooty and media) ripped into Cotchin was ridiculous and so easy to do in hindsight, instead of trying to understand why he/coaches made the decision initially.

It's been in the news a little bit lately, but here's my view:

Should we make the finals this year and are to host a final, I'd rather we play on the MCG rather than at GMHBA. I don't want to see anyone locked out of the match, especially Cats fans. Now that we have 60,000 members, plenty would miss out if we play a home final. I was pretty lucky to get a good spot at the home final we had in 2013, and as a member who turns up to GMHBA rain, hail or shine I'd really not like to run the risk of missing out (or have a higher chance of missing out than at the 'G)

And we've been not too bad on the 'G so far this year, so it's not like it's a huge disadvantage
If we were match up and it's your home game it would be at the Cattery I think.

My contrary view is that suits us. The AFL always allocates enough tkts to accommodate travelling supporters from small clubs, so I wont miss out. The biggest problem is they allocate too many so our aisles end up full of opposition supporters in the resale.

The narrow ground actually helps our zoning to cut off your transition, which I see as the major threat.

That Cotchin wasn't wrong by kicking into the wind vs Port 2016 EF.

Typically most finals start out congested, scrappy, and low scoring because both teams are intent on maximizing pressure. After the first quarter, games tend to open up as players can't keep up the same intensity on the ball. I'm guessing the plan was to have a tight 1st quarter into the wind, before opening the game up with the wind in the 2nd.

Obviously this didn't go to plan but the way some people (bigfooty and media) ripped into Cotchin was ridiculous and so easy to do in hindsight, instead of trying to understand why he/coaches made the decision initially.
I said this on the day!
If nerves were a factor for Richmond, A’s was being anticipated by the media in the build up, wouldn’t it be less likely to have a major impact without the pressure of knowing you’re kicking with a 5 goal wind first up and you have to come out clean? Far easier to defend than attack, I had no problem with it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back