Analysis What position would Toby Thurstans plays in our 2020 team?

In which position would you deploy Tony Thurston?

• Forward

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Ruck

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Defense

Votes: 11 73.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

elbarton

All Australian
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

If 2004 Toby Thurstans was cryogenically frozen, only to be defrosted with this mild winter weather we’ve been having, where would you play him in our current team? Thurstans famously kicked 3 goals in the 2004 Grand Final, but also displayed the capacity to play a key defensive post, and pinch hit in the ruck. So where would Toby’s magnet be placed on your board?

(Note, this hypothetical assumes cryogenic freezing technology is available, but not cloning. You are not allowed to play two Thurstans both forward and defensively, alluring as that sounds)

Assistant coach as he would be very old
Edit: Just read the title and noted you said cryogenic freezing. Chances are this would severely effect his body somehow so I'm not backing down

Assistant coach as he would be very old
Edit: Just read the title and noted you said cryogenic freezing. Chances are this would severely effect his body somehow so I'm not backing down

I might need to edit the scenario, as we know that Toby infact was famously not cryogenically frozen after the 2004, he has continued to live, laugh and love in the intervening years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's so tough to know because the roles he played are so different now. I don't think 2004 era Toby Thurstans gets a game, but if given the opportunity to develop as a modern footballer he's probably playing Fwd/Ruck in a Hinkley coached team.

He was kinda the role westfhoff is but not as talented or versatile.

He filled spots up front and down back pinched in the ruck.

He'd just be in the way on the depth chart for forward and ruck. And he wasn't a KPD.

Too tall to play KPD in a Hinkley coached side so Hinkley would have him HBF or Wing.

Choco always said his running stats were off the charts, so given the Burgo/Mackers influence on Hinkley to play guys with high athletic ability, ergo Bonner Oshea and others since 2013, Toby would get games.

Under Ken, as a tall, probably wouldn't have played until this year.
And with Georgiades, probably wouldn't get a game this year.
So, nowhere.

Back