What potential does Ben Simmons have? Will be be the 17/18 ROTY?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tyler Hodges

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76'ers
The season has come and gone and as I predicted as soon as I heard the bonus ROTY clause in Simmons Nike deal I knew he wouldn't be hitting the hard court this season.

With rumours circling that Ben has grown this year and is just shy of 7ft, do you still believe Brett Brown still intends to play him as an out and out PG as he stated in December?

Do you think Simmons will win the ROTY next season over Fultz/Ball who look like the frontrunners in next months excitingly stocked draft class?

From where it stands I believe Simmons will win the ROTY over the later, predicting a 14/8/6 Box score average. As for the PG experiment, I do believe Simmons will be the primary ball handler obviously running Phillys offense (can't wait to see what he can do with Embiid in the PnR) however I can't see a 7fter (athletic as he is) guarding IT or Wall and will most likely defend the 4 as he won't have a problem strength wise.

His shooting form looks much improved and although he won't be lights out, he looks to have improved enough that defenders won't be able to play off him as many have suggested. I really hope the Sixers get Malik Monk from Kentucky if they can't land one of the two PG's in this draft as Simmons is made to play with great catch and shooters.

How do you see Simmons rookie season unfolding?

Suffer a season ending injury five days before opening night.

Probably.

"Injury"

I mean you gotta have those lottery picks rolling in.
----

In all seriousness - if he can play 60+ games and is a starter in at least half of those - then he would be favourite i reckon.

But what happens with philly's frontcourt? Unless Brown plays him at the 3 alongside 2 bigs (huge risk defensively) not sure if Ben can jump both of Saric and Okafor in the rotation - and definitely not a healthy Embiid.

Move one of those first 2, or have Embiid injured, and suddenly Ben can hold down the 4 spot and have a pretty good year ahead of him.

Watching some videos of him on Instagram, I can't get over how smooth he looks for a guy his size.

I'd be stunned if he's not an impact player from day one.
NBC Sports reported this on May 12.
'Simmons received clearance from the Philadelphia medical staff to start working out last month. He has now ramped up the activity to include live ball drills.'
It seems that Ben will be ready for the very start of training camp. iF anything the hype around him seems to be building. Ben Brown has been quoted as saying he will spend time at the point guard after the development of Saric this year.
Ill go on record as saying 16 points 7 rebound and 7 assists is about what he will average. If you look at his jumpshot technique in some clips on Instagram it looks gigantically improved.
Embiid missed two whole years of basketball and starred this season. Ben looks over his injuries. The negativity by some on the BF basketball threads (in terms of him overcoming injuries.) doesn't seem to match up with the reports from reporters who have seen Ben train in recent months. If anything he looks to have put his time away from the game to use in terms of improving physical strength and developing a better technique for his jump shot.

Last edited:

For someone who has a completely broken jumper, it isn't too ugly from where I'm sitting..
Yes this is just no pressure drills but people act like he shoots like Andre Drummond. He will not be lights out, but the guy only took 3 threes during his entire tenure at LSU, I blame coaching for that. Simmons didn't like being there, didn't bother with any jumpers because hes more of a sure thing in the paint and could score at will at the college level. Will never be a scoring machine but I see him averaging in the mid teens this year and could have a 20/12/8 career. He is the smoothest bigman I've ever seen, every expert and ex player that watches him train are shocked with how much of a beast this guy is, will be a massive factor in the east.

I don't really see him as somebody that will get hot and score rapidly. He will put up good numbers and will score 30 plus points quite a few times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back