Resource What questions should the interview panel ask applicants for the Port head coaching role?

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
"It is your first year with us. After the Minor Round, you have lead us into the Top-4. In the Finals, we have lost the QF away, won the SF at home, and got eliminated in the PF away. We are all now seated to review our season, and you are the first one to talk. Consider the situation and tell us what you would say."

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
1. Should we keep the Footy Express going?
2. How do you intend to win back traditional Port supporters?
3. What does the PAFC mean to the Port community, and has it got something to do with winning?
4. Do you expect players to give a damn each and every week?
5. Three part question
a) Is success a "non-negotiable"?
b) at what level do you set the benchmark for success?
c) do you think demanding Port supporters will tolerate mid table mediocrity for much longer?
6. Can you reduce the price of a footy pie at the game?
7. Out of left field
Will you publicly slam Kochie (or any other Board member) who comes out with cringeworthy utterings such as "little old blue collar battling club", "the top of their game", "youse thought he was a hero at 11-7", "co captains will give us the greatest chance of success", "it's just a game and someone has to lose" and "wearing the prison bars is just too tough to sort out".
8. Multiple choice Bonus point if answered correctly
Port Adelaide exists
* to lose
* to succeed
* to trash our tradition.
Did OK until question 8. Can I phone a friend?

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
"It is your first year with us. After the Minor Round, you have lead us into the Top-4. In the Finals, we have lost the QF away, won the SF at home, and got eliminated in the PF away. We are all now seated to review our season, and you are the first one to talk. Consider the situation and tell us what you would say."
The reply I would be expecting:

I am disappointed. We were so close to winning. Port cannot be happy with such result; I am not. Still, the truth is this was probably a fluke. We have overachieved. We need to analyze the team, see where we will most probably return to the mean and make moves to avoid it happening. I don't want to be back to the middle of the ladder. Port deserves better, and I came here to win.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
One of the key questions for any future coach should be `how many of the current list would you want to keep moving forward?'

With any prospective coach worth a cracker I suspect the answer would be along the lines of putting a line through some, but also all players retained would need to justify their place in the team, which could see a number of senior players becoming a tad nervous, including one of the co captains whose form this season has been absolutely abysmal, and as mentioned on this site a few seasons back was rumoured to have been placed on the trade table ( at his request ) for NO takers. :think:

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
Should I wear Ray-Bans or Oakleys when sitting on a deckchair?

Back