What SHOULD our game plan look like?

Remove this Banner Ad

WeeBlake

Premiership Player
Aug 5, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Many of us now think we have the bones of the list we’ll need to compete for our next flag (still need a gun mid, for mine).

I thought it would be fun to talk about what our game plan SHOULD be, given the players we have and their particular strengths.

So, to get started, I’ll say:

Don’t play Fog out of the square. He’s a leading forward, not a pack mark, and is reliable from 40+.

Also, don’t play Thilthorpe out of the square. He is a decent pack mark, but he’s next-level when the ball goes to ground, and is an amazing distributor for a big man. Let him fly for marks up the ground, some of which he’ll take, and others he’ll gather when they spill, but in both cases his next touch can open it right up.

(Geelong works this way, kinda, with Hawkins and Cameron).

Anyway, what other parts of our game plan should we build around our best youngish players?

I honestly think our game plan has been evolving for the past few years to what it is now and now we're seeing it consistently.

Under nicks we've usually been attacking albeit with low skills and high turnovers. Happy to hit the corridor with high risk kicks and then generate handball happy run. We've also been building the contested side and given our C grade midfield, this has helped us play competitive football even against the better sides.

I don't think the game plan has changed much, but the difference is (for the most part) our skills have improved and we've brought in high skill players. We just need to polish this up and bring in at least 1 blue chip midfielder.

I think what the 7 rounds have shown, is that we’re capable of matching it with any team regarding a fair dinkum contest. I think our game plan is to be as attacking as possible, but we’ve shown that we can also defend reasonably well with the emergence of Max and Murray.

So overall, I don’t think the game plan needs to change too much. Just a bit of slight tweaking, week by week. We’re probably one short of a quality midfielder who can take the game on in the dying stages, where a match winner is needed.

I have strong hope for Soligo and Pedlar but I think they’d need a good couple more years to become consistent A-grade midfielders. We’re still relatively small-sized in the midfield department.

Lastly, try and kick goals to behinds 2:1, not 1:2!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back