What size should the AFL be?

R Chee Manning

Marlo Snellman
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Ross Oakley is to be congratulated for having the vision to expand the VFL to a national competition.

If he hadn't done so, it would now be just a suburban YouTube sport with the occasional mention on Sportscenter with an 'odd-ball' clip of the day as some 'world's weird and wacky' sport like wife carrying, chess boxing and cheese rolling.

But while the National comp has been a magnificent move... is it too big?

The great thing about the old days with 12 clubs was that it was a true home and away season.

Ross Oakley was keen to see Melbourne clubs merge. Indeed, there were plans to see six clubs or fewer in Melbourne in order to keep the total number in the comp at around 12-14.

Personally I prefer the big competition. I'd probably even like to see it expanded to 20 teams eventually.

1556958314699.png

Last edited:

R Chee Manning

Marlo Snellman
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
What happened to your perthboy/always ballin/macpotata accounts?

I have no idea who you are talking about.. but I'm sure whoever you are referring to will appreciate the mention.

Now back to the topic.

What is the perfect size for the AFL?

Competition should be the following teams:
Richmond
Carlton
Collingwood
Essendon
Hawthorn
South Melbourne
Footscray
Fitzroy
St Kilda
Melbourne.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

R Chee Manning

Marlo Snellman
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Richmond
Carlton
Collingwood
Essendon
Hawthorn
South Melbourne
Footscray
Fitzroy
St Kilda
Melbourne.

So no room for the Shinboners (that's understandable) but what about the greatest team of all, who's always on the ball?

So no room for the Shinboners (that's understandable) but what about the greatest team of all, who's always on the ball?

Both the equivalent of interstate teams, so no. North is like Tassie and Geelong is Moe by the sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal
Ideally we would have 20 teams and every team plays each other once. However I doubt that is feasible without more growth in the game and talent coming through.

16 to 18 teams is ok for now.

Craze

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
My league would have 14 teams playing each other twice every year, home and away. Bring back into use Princes Park, and another purpose-built 40,000 seater in the south-east (for use by the merged Melbourne teams against interstate teams).

1. Collingwood
2. Richmond
3. Carlton
4. Essendon
5. Hawthorn
6. West Coast
7. Adelaide
8. Sydney
9. Brisbane
10. Merge Dogs/Saints
11. Merge Melbourne/North
12. Port
13. Freo
14. Tasmania

Apologies to Geelong, GWS and Gold Coast.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
My league would have 14 teams playing each other twice every year, home and away. Bring back into use Princes Park, and another purpose-built 40,000 seater in the south-east (for use by the merged Melbourne teams against interstate teams).

1. Collingwood
2. Richmond
3. Carlton
4. Essendon
5. Hawthorn
6. West Coast
7. Adelaide
8. Sydney
9. Brisbane
10. Merge Dogs/Saints
12. Port
13. Freo
14. Tasmania

Have to keep Geelong. A merged Northawn can move to Tassie - they are both half there anyway.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon

1. Collingwood
2. Richmond
3. Carlton
4. Essendon
5. Hawthorn
6. West Coast
7. Adelaide
8. Sydney
9. Brisbane
10. Merge Dogs/Saints
12. Port
13. Freo
14. Tasmania

Brilliant analysis. If only the nimrods from AFL headquarters could be so sublimely clear minded as you.

Geelong though, I’d give em a concession. Gotta think of the rural folk out in the sticks.

But if we can’t find room to fit then in, then tough t***ies.

Richmond
Carlton
Collingwood
Essendon
Hawthorn
South Melbourne
Footscray
Fitzroy
St Kilda
Melbourne.

1. Collingwood
2. Richmond
3. Carlton
4. Essendon
5. Hawthorn
6. West Coast
7. Adelaide
8. Sydney
9. Brisbane
10. Merge Dogs/Saints
12. Port
13. Freo
14. Tasmania

Not sure why Richmond fans want Geelong out of this hypothetical league lol. We add more to the comp than most
Geelong has really hurt Richmond over the years

Craze

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
Geelong has really hurt Richmond over the years
Not at all.

Just that I don't see Geelong as part of the national competition.

You can always reply to the thread and leave out Richmond (although with 100,000 members that would be ridiculous).

Not sure why Richmond fans want Geelong out of this hypothetical league lol. We add more to the comp than most
We add more than Richmond. In fact, if it was not for Geelong there would be no competition as we know it ( just a VFA) and no Brownlow medal.

Back