What Song Got You Listening to Your Favourite Bands?

Pretty much what to title says, what song made you start listening to your favourite bands?

Here's Mine.

Metallica- Wherever I May Roam: Heard it off a jukebox and had a see who the band was cause i thought it was great. Now i've been hooked on them ever since.

Black Sabbath- Paranoid: First heard the song off Guitar Hero 3. Was very fun to play and got interested in what other songs they have.

I'll post some more later.

Cool idea for a thread. Here's what i came up with.

Unwritten Law - Celebration Song. From NFSU2, loved it, got their album, loved it, got all of their albums, loved em.

Mudvayne - Not Falling. Through a mate.

Rammstein - Feuer Frei. Also from mates.

Also, a lot of my bands i first got into when rock/metal were big in the WWF.

Disturbed - Glass Shatters. From when it was Stone Cold's song, got Stupify and Voices after that.

Our Lady Peace - Whatever. Again, from the WWF, then grabbed Not Enough and that sold them on me. Also found out that those 2 songs are their heaviest and 2nd heaviest respectively, but still loved them.

Alter Bridge - Broken Wings. Just a random download from Videopimp.com.

Cold - Happens All The Time. Same as above.

Stone Sour - 30/30-150. Same as above.

They're probably my top bands, not many really interesting stories. Might look back through some other bands later.

Cool idea for discussion :)

Metallica - Ride The Lightning
- Loved the riffs in the song and then the solo came along and I was sold on Metallica.

Machine Head - A Farewell to Arms
- I heard Beautiful Mourning first and I really liked that, but this song made me want to research the bands songs.

Dream Theater - Under A Glass Moon
- Amazing instrument work in this song made me instantly take notice.

System of a Down - Toxicity
- Very heavy song, i'm kind of bored by it now, but that's what made me notice them.

Gojira - Toxic Garbage Island
- I saw a guitar tab in Guitar World for this song and looked up this song on youtube and the drumming as well as the slowdowns in the song hooked me.

In Flames - Trigger
- Very catchy song that once again made me have to look up other songs.

Lamb of God - Laid to Rest
- Still one of my favorite metal songs ever...

Others:
Mastodon - Blood and Thunder
Megadeth - Hangar 18
Meshuggah - Future Breed Machine
Tool - Aenema
God Forbid - Lonely Dead
Trivium - Like Light to the Flies

DrVanNostrand

Premiership Player
Dec 14, 2011
129 West 81st
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The Rolling Stones - Rough Justice. First song on their 2005 album A Bigger Bang that I picked up at Target on a whim for $6 because I liked the cover shot. Never looked back.

Bruce Springsteen - Radio Nowhere. Not long after the album Magic came out, I did a summer's work of labouring on worksites and the radio station of choice played this every single day. Thank you, Triple M Brisbane :thumbsu:

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Breakdown. The only song I liked on first listen when a mate lent me his copy of their debut album. Needless to say it grew on me.

Cold Chisel - Bow River. Radio.

Crowded House - Don't Dream It's Over. Radio.

ZZ Top - Entire Eliminator album really. JBHiFi had a massive sale one day and I picked it up for $8. The first 4 songs really sealed the deal.

The Who - Eminence Front. Was on the soundtrack of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas haha.

The Police - Every Breath You Take. MAX TV.

Fleetwood Mac - Don't Stop. Radio.

Faces - Miss Judy's Farm. Gave them a try through the Ron Wood/Rolling Stones connection. The riff converted me instantly.

Neen

????????????
Jul 1, 2011
Thomastown
AFL Club
Richmond
I heard "Rock and Roll all nite" on one of those little transistor radios in 1976. I was 8 years old, and the song was forever embedded in my memory. First album was "Kiss Alive" which to this day, is my favorite album of all time.

I heard "A whiter shade of pale" on a Jukebox, and although I don't listen to Procol Harem, the song is till one of my favorites.

I remember hearing the keyboards to Van Halen's "Jump" in 1984, and thinking "what is this crap". 1984 is still one of my favorite albums.

I swapped a CD with a friend of mine, Pantera "Cowboys from Hell" with Dream Theater's "Images and words". I heard the opening riff of "Pull me Under" and was hooked. Just an awesome song from and incredible band.

I was watching some YouTube videos of people's "top 10 guitar solos" and I saw Buckethead's solo in "Nottingham Lace". Easily the best guitarist since Hendrix. I have all his albums and his talent is endless.

Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
pink floyd - another brick in the wall pt 1. was watching the wall with my girlfriend at the time while stoned. also picked up rachmaninoff while watching 'shine' much the same way.
she also introduced me to zappa... she was a musician. it was the 'them or us' album, i can remember thinking that was some kind of *ed game show music.

a bunch of stuff while listening to metal radio shows, a couple off the top of my head (some national radio, some community radio) -
my dying bride - a kiss to remember
acid bath - paegan love song
spiritual beggars - left brain ambassadors

used to do tape/cd trading of stuff, mostly with people from overseas. through that 'is suicide a solution?' no doubt got me into coil because it's so damn miserable.
borrowing tapes got me into both slayer (skeletons of society) and pantera (something from far beyond driven)

i've probably listed a couple there that are just ones with a backstory rather than being favorite bands. these days it's a lot of rather boring youtube expeditions.

omit

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 27, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
For me it's mostly side a track 1 of whatever album I first bought/didn't buy. I like to blind buy a lot. Sometimes based in good things I've heard and sometimes because I think the album cover is awesome.

Jun 2, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS
Pearl Jam - Jeremy (although it was quite a few years after Ten's release)

R.E.M. - The One I Love

Alice in Chains - Them Bones (first heard on the GTA: San Andreas sountrack. Don't worry DrVanNostrand, it's a perfectly reasonable way to find new bands :))

Bad Religion - 21st Century Digital Boy (although I have no idea where I would have heard it. It must have been on radio but I can't imagine Aussie commercial radio giving BR any airtime.)

Midnight Oil - Blue Sky Mine

Hunters & Collectors - Throw Your Arms Around Me

Sep 10, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Pearl Jam - knew about the band, but their Triple J broadcast from Melbourne was the turning point.

Springsteen - piano solo version of Incident on 57th Street, Barcelona 2002. Nuff said.

Beatles - listening to Revolver for the first time.

DrVanNostrand

Premiership Player
Dec 14, 2011
129 West 81st
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The opening riff to Can't you hear me knocking by the Rolling Stones changed my life
Pretty much the complete song. Keith's opening riffage, epic Mick Taylor solo and Bobby Keys sax rounds it off. Just when you think the 3 minute opening part is a great song, you get the extra 4 minutes of epic jamming. The centrepeice of Sticky Fingers.

But if anything on Sticky Fingers changed my life, it would be the outro guitar solo on Sway. Absolute perfection. Luckily for me, Sticky Fingers was almost the last Stones album I added to my collection when I got into them. And man did it hit me between the eyes.

A few I remember

'Your Move' - Yes....... Heard it on the radio while on holiday in Queensland

'Question' - The Moody Blues ......... saw in the music mags that it was number one in the UK so bought it without having heard it

'One Long Day' - Cold Chisel...... heard it on 3RRR and was impressed

'Whole Lotta Love' - Led Zeppelin..... funnily enough my music teacher asked me to buy it for her son - I told her I didn't like it as I didn't think it was very musical :)

Last edited:

Cthublhu

Club Legend
Suspended
Aug 9, 2007
Placid Island of Ignorance
AFL Club
Carlton
Motorhead - The Chase Is Better Than The Catch. Heard it on Rage when James Hetfield was guest programmer.

Black Sabbath - War Pigs. Mate's house.

White Stripes - Effect and Cause. Listened to a pirate copy of the album and bought it an hour later.

Judas Priest - Freewheel Burning. I bought the album on a whim and the opening song just drew me in.

Rolling Stones - Start Me Up. Countdown I think.

Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven. The most played song in radio history, which is where I heard it.

Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast. Countdown.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I can't say this is ever happened to me.

Most of the time I'll read a review or have a mate recommend an album and then I'll go and get an LP. The key tunes will then come shortly after that.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Propane Nightmares by Pendulum kickstarted my love for them.

First got wind of them through Wikipedia and the WWE Cyber Sunday 2008 Wiki page as it was that PPV theme.

Also didn't realise that the first song I had heard from Pendulum was actually one that I would then adopt as an Earworm through WWOS called Slam.

Hue_Jars

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2011
Only ya mum knows
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory,Heat,Wildcats,Warriors
Propane Nightmares by Pendulum kickstarted my love for them.

First got wind of them through Wikipedia and the WWE Cyber Sunday 2008 Wiki page as it was that PPV theme.

Also didn't realise that the first song I had heard from Pendulum was actually one that I would then adopt as an Earworm through WWOS called Slam.

My very amatuer band recorded an EP at these studios in East Freo a few weeks ago, and we walked into them one night to pick up the cd. There were these lads sitting on the couch with laptops open listening to some beats and having a beer. They said gday....it was Pendulum. Spun out.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
My very amatuer band recorded an EP at these studios in East Freo a few weeks ago, and we walked into them one night to pick up the cd. There were these lads sitting on the couch with laptops open listening to some beats and having a beer. They said gday....it was Pendulum. Spun out.

Must've been absolutely starstruck?

Not sure but this may have been the first Beatles song I heard. We were allowed to bring records along to primary school to play at lunchtime and all I had to bring was 20 Greatest Cowboy Hits while other kids were bringing cool stuff like the Beatles. I got on board pretty quickly!

Back