Roast What sort of Freo supporter are you atm?

What side of the fence?

• Cool aid

• Brick thrower

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m in the ‘need-to-emotionally-detach-for-the-sake-of-my-mental-health’ camp. It’s really, really difficult given my 25-year love for this footy-god-forsaken club, but I’m deadset serious that my mental health has actually suffered with the crazy ups and downs over the past few (15...) years.

Damn you footy gods!!!

• Backline Solid to very good-Intercepting-spoiling-bringing it back inside 50 well
  • Midfield with Fyfe Mundy Blakely Hill- very good winning most battles- Lobb ok in ruck but contributing very well around the ground
  • Synergy with Forwards- Bombing the ball in - no system -sh##house-no confidence
  • Forward line below average (still) seems to be 3 to 4 non contributors each week
We are so close being a very good team ...
Frustrated at the good work from backs and mids ruined by forward set up-and composure but still of the view that it will fall onto place.

The pieces are there and a good forward coach SHOULD, with the talent at his disposal and number of inside 50 entries they are receiving be putting good scores on the board
(Which we have seen glimpses of against NM and GWS)

So im hanging onto the glass half full opinion

I’m firmly in the Lyon camp. Think we need some pace and skill forward of centre though but that should be addressed next season with Henry and Sturt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy we won showed a lot of heart today still not convinced we are on the right path though, if Lyon is the man to take us forward he needs better assistants that’s for sure, the forward line is still a mess.
This is how we lined up forward (from watching the tv).

Switkowski Hogan Matera
Walters Cox Cerra

We went in with Hogan and Cox both looking out of form, and Hogan still building after an extended injury. It has Cerra only having recently moved to the forward-line as part of his development and education (and having been exposed a little for pace). Switkowski looks promising.

It is a reasonable forward set up at best, if they were in form and have actually played together. It is significantly different from what would be our "ideal" forward set up.

What is revealed in these games is the direction that the club and game-style is heading in, and it excites me. Add Darcy, SHill, and Born-again Bennell to that team list and our delivery into the forward line changes. Add Lobb and Sturt to that forward line and it is dangerous. Add a decent forward assistant coach, and we are up and running towards finals.

The club put in place a time-frame at the start of our rebuild. It looked like this;
Start Rebuild .........../.............../......... Contend

This where we are now;
Start Rebuild .........../.............../....

A good time to be a supporter.

This is how we lined up forward (from watching the tv).

Switkowski Hogan Matera
Walters Cox Cerra

We went in with Hogan and Cox both looking out of form, and Hogan still building after an extended injury. It has Cerra only having recently moved to the forward-line as part of his development and education (and having been exposed a little for pace). Switkowski looks promising.

It is a reasonable forward set up at best, if they were in form and have actually played together. It is significantly different from what would be our "ideal" forward set up.

What is revealed in these games is the direction that the club and game-style is heading in, and it excites me. Add Darcy, SHill, and Born-again Bennell to that team list and our delivery into the forward line changes. Add Lobb and Sturt to that forward line and it is dangerous. Add a decent forward assistant coach, and we are up and running towards finals.

The club put in place a time-frame at the start of our rebuild. It looked like this;
Start Rebuild .........../.............../......... Contend

This where we are now;
Start Rebuild .........../.............../....

A good time to be a supporter.
That’s all good but I m still not convinced we have good enough coaches to make use of the talent we have in the forward line.

That’s all good but I m still not convinced we have good enough coaches to make use of the talent we have in the forward line.

We had a 19 year old Kp ,2 second year rookies, the other Kp coming off a major foot injury , a KP out with a LTI, a small forward reject from another club and the other small forward a mature age recruit with a history of hammy injuries. All in all I reckon it was a pass re the forward coaches.:D

When the club announced a rebuild, I lowered my expectations, was expecting it to be ugly for a few years.

Losing games isn't exactly fun... Particularly some of the beltings, awkwardness in the team when they are unsure of the best team options right now and do the best individual option (e.g. all fly at the ball in the forward line).

So I set myself to watch for and enjoy the small wins. e.g. ongoing evolution of 18 year old draftees, Watch us take a risk and use the corridor, the transition to the fast decision making and determination to get the ball forward before the rolling mawl gets there. etc.

I was disappointed that we were in a position that needed the rebuild. But happy that we didn't muck around, swallowed our pride and just got on with it when it was clear that we needed to.

Brisbane was a fair test for where we are at and even if it was lost by a point, we were evenly matched against them. So, we are tracking excellently for a rebuilding team.

We're through the worst of the rebuild and while there will be a few snags along the way, it's blue sky, for 2020 and beyond.

The catch will be, should we have thrown more development time into more junior players and squeezed extra talent in via the draft for 1 more year. That could be the difference between being in the finals for a handful of years - or actually winning a premiership.

When the club announced a rebuild, I lowered my expectations, was expecting it to be ugly for a few years.

Losing games isn't exactly fun... Particularly some of the beltings, awkwardness in the team when they are unsure of the best team options right now and do the best individual option (e.g. all fly at the ball in the forward line).

So I set myself to watch for and enjoy the small wins. e.g. ongoing evolution of 18 year old draftees, Watch us take a risk and use the corridor, the transition to the fast decision making and determination to get the ball forward before the rolling mawl gets there. etc.

I was disappointed that we were in a position that needed the rebuild. But happy that we didn't muck around, swallowed our pride and just got on with it when it was clear that we needed to.

Brisbane was a fair test for where we are at and even if it was lost by a point, we were evenly matched against them. So, we are tracking excellently for a rebuilding team.

We're through the worst of the rebuild and while there will be a few snags along the way, it's blue sky, for 2020 and beyond.

The catch will be, should we have thrown more development time into more junior players and squeezed extra talent in via the draft for 1 more year. That could be the difference between being in the finals for a handful of years - or actually winning a premiership.
Yes I am a big fan of watching the development, which includes the draft and trading. Really disappointed at the negativity on this board that derailed the wonderful pre-season reports we enjoyed. Love hearing about some of the fringe players and musing over what someone like Crowden needs to do to force his way up the pecking order. Really enjoy contemplating what the ceiling is for someone like Logue three or four years down the track. etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eternal optimist. I always look at the positives that show throughout the team and always remain hopeful throughout the season. We probably won't beat Collingwood but * it, what's the point in supporting if you don't believe!! I reckon we're a shot

We had a 19 year old Kp ,2 second year rookies, the other Kp coming off a major foot injury , a KP out with a LTI, a small forward reject from another club and the other small forward a mature age recruit with a history of hammy injuries. All in all I reckon it was a pass re the forward coaches.:D

How's your mate Bewley going?

There are great signs this year, the list is still young, but more experienced, we've looked great in a couple of matches, we scored some talented big forwards, the backline is really solid, we have better kicks in the team. But...freo has recruited many talented fowards over the years but most haven't delivered , we have looked awful in some games, and sèem to revert back to some ugly dour football at times. As others have said now is the time we must be improving, and we were in a similar position at this stage for the last years before fizzing out. I'm very hopeful, but I've heard which ship never docks in freo too many times for football to want anything less than a flag, n we aint there yet.

Honestly still haven't made up my mind. I'm grateful for the good times he brought us from 2012-2015 and I understand the nature of a rebuild but am still nervous and tentative about where we're currently headed. I'm naturally a pessimist but I'm not a miserable campaigner attempting to find a perverse pleasure in the awful games like quite a few here seem to. It's honestly more enjoyable to watch the game and bitch about it to my mates and forget about it than it is to log on to BigFooty and see extremely toxic gameday threads when things aren't going well.

The rebuild seems to be a bit 2 steps forward, 3 steps back at the moment if you take it purely at face value but the one thing I have noticed this year is despite being thin in the midfield, we do seem to be controlling the tempo of the game and forcing teams to counter us and work around our defence. Problem is we also look awful skillwise on the break. The forward line is awful yet still looks far more threatening than the past 3 (maybe even 4-5) years. That itself is an indictment but it does at least trend upwards. It could possibly just a dead cat bounce from adding in some talent but at the same time we are getting more inside 50s and could be a genuine sign of improvement.

And then there's Lyon's relationship with the players. They all seem to love him and barely a bad word is spoken about him by past players. It seems like a decent team culture which is not guaranteed by changing coaches (and something no other coach in our history has brought).

If he was sacked tomorrow I probably would be ok with it but I wouldn't be able to shake the nagging feeling that we gave up a solid chance at success and have serious doubts over the stability and culture of the team going forward.

Ok but let's wait and see . Schulz was all the rage after his first game ,second game not so good? If Bewley is the next best thing to sliced bread I will be over the moon.:thumbsu:
Our wings were physically dominated by bigger players in some of the recent games, and it really hurt us. Having some other options is a good move.

Back