Roast What sort of Freo supporter are you atm?

What side of the fence?

• Cool aid

• Brick thrower

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly still haven't made up my mind. I'm grateful for the good times he brought us from 2012-2015 and I understand the nature of a rebuild but am still nervous and tentative about where we're currently headed. I'm naturally a pessimist but I'm not a miserable campaigner attempting to find a perverse pleasure in the awful games like quite a few here seem to. It's honestly more enjoyable to watch the game and bitch about it to my mates and forget about it than it is to log on to BigFooty and see extremely toxic gameday threads when things aren't going well.

The rebuild seems to be a bit 2 steps forward, 3 steps back at the moment if you take it purely at face value but the one thing I have noticed this year is despite being thin in the midfield, we do seem to be controlling the tempo of the game and forcing teams to counter us and work around our defence. Problem is we also look awful skillwise on the break. The forward line is awful yet still looks far more threatening than the past 3 (maybe even 4-5) years. That itself is an indictment but it does at least trend upwards. It could possibly just a dead cat bounce from adding in some talent but at the same time we are getting more inside 50s and could be a genuine sign of improvement.

And then there's Lyon's relationship with the players. They all seem to love him and barely a bad word is spoken about him by past players. It seems like a decent team culture which is not guaranteed by changing coaches (and something no other coach in our history has brought).

If he was sacked tomorrow I probably would be ok with it but I wouldn't be able to shake the nagging feeling that we gave up a solid chance at success and have serious doubts over the stability and culture of the team going forward.
There is zero value in the sacked tomorrow mentality. There is clear evidence of progress in the game style, playing list and results. We also have some clear areas that need improvement, but have some significant building blocks available to be optimistic of achieving that. They fit with strategic plan put in place when the coach's contract was renewed and that time-frame is intact.

The playing list looks happy in their work and to be in full support of the coach. The new Football Operations Manager is new, but has already shown strong leadership, and is also supportive of the coach. There are plenty of other off-field changes that can be considered that improve the club's finals prospects including changes to the assistant managers and/or injury management. Beyond those two areas, Bell should be looking at the next 3-5 year period.

You'd need to be a bed-wetter of legendary proportions to consider sacking a coach in those circumstances.

Add into that no plausible available replacements that the club would feel confident advances the club as it enters what it can realistically expect to be a finals window of opportunity.

Last edited:
There is zero value in the sacked tomorrow mentality. There is clear evidence of progress in the game style, playing list and results. We also have some clear areas that need improvement, but have some significant building blocks available to be optimistic of achieving that. They fit with strategic plan put in place when the coach's contract was renewed and that time-frame is intact.

Brutally honest my final paragraph was more of a metaphorical summation of my thought processes, obviously mid-season sackings would be wildly destabilizing and it's more a "if he were sacked at the end of the season" than a Damian Drum finding out via the press.

Also a clear evidence of progression and change may not be enough for a future flag tilt. There is always going to be lingering questions whether it will hold up and whether Lyon and the coaching staff can adjust quickly enough to future teams figuring out his Plan A. That's a fair criticism though sadly by its very nature will be hard to argue for or against without a larger sample size to allow for post-rebuild and by then it's too late. But I do agree the early signs this season are a bit more promising on that front considering, apart from the Richmond game, we have adjusted very well to the top teams and have been competitive. The real test is the back half of the season and whether we continue to progress or if we fall away completely like the back half of the previous 2 seasons.

Like I said, I'm naturally a pessimist, I want Freo to be on the right path and to win but I have some doubts.

The playing list looks happy in their work and to be in full support of the coach. The new Football Operations Manager is new, but has already shown strong leadership, and is also supportive of the coach. There are plenty of other off-field changes that can be considered that improve the club's finals prospects including changes to the assistant managers and/or injury management. Beyond those two areas, Bell should be looking at the next 3-5 year period.

I believe I covered that but yes, I agree

You'd need to be a bed-wetter of legendary proportions to consider sacking a coach in those circumstances.

Add into that no plausible available replacements that the club would feel confident advances the club as it enters what it can realistically expect to be a finals window of opportunity.

I wouldn't know if untried assistants count as plausible or implausible but I think dismissing alternatives entirely is a little dishonest. If we finish strongly this year I wouldn't be sacking him as he has enough credits in the bank but if we fall away again and keep putting out putrid displays like the Essendon game then it has to be considered because, quite frankly, what has been achieved so far isn't enough (in fairness I believe Lyon himself would say that).

Brutally honest my final paragraph was more of a metaphorical summation of my thought processes, obviously mid-season sackings would be wildly destabilizing and it's more a "if he were sacked at the end of the season" than a Damian Drum finding out via the press.

Also a clear evidence of progression and change may not be enough for a future flag tilt. There is always going to be lingering questions whether it will hold up and whether Lyon and the coaching staff can adjust quickly enough to future teams figuring out his Plan A. That's a fair criticism though sadly by its very nature will be hard to argue for or against without a larger sample size to allow for post-rebuild and by then it's too late. But I do agree the early signs this season are a bit more promising on that front considering, apart from the Richmond game, we have adjusted very well to the top teams and have been competitive. The real test is the back half of the season and whether we continue to progress or if we fall away completely like the back half of the previous 2 seasons.

Like I said, I'm naturally a pessimist, I want Freo to be on the right path and to win but I have some doubts.

I believe I covered that but yes, I agree

I wouldn't know if untried assistants count as plausible or implausible but I think dismissing alternatives entirely is a little dishonest. If we finish strongly this year I wouldn't be sacking him as he has enough credits in the bank but if we fall away again and keep putting out putrid displays like the Essendon game then it has to be considered because, quite frankly, what has been achieved so far isn't enough (in fairness I believe Lyon himself would say that).
May not have been clear, but I agree with your post, including the last paragraph, and especially the nagging feeling comment.

If and when we part ways with Lyon then I am fine with rookie coaches, but they haven't worked for us so far, seem reluctant to come to WA as their first choice, and I don't see any standouts. In a competition where I expect up to 4 clubs to be shopping for coaches, I would choose to stick to our time-frame. And I think the list is well positioned for an experienced coach.

Of course if we crash and burn from here on, pull the levers and make the change.

It's all good. It's a blip in the road. Finals was always an extravagant expectation at the start of the season and now moreso with the key (REALLY key) injuries we have at the moment. When you are in the 8 at the bye though you do tend to expect it however which can be harsh.

Just hate losing to Melbourne like that though. It's hateful to lose to West Coast because of the bitterness in the rivalry but it's downright revolting to lose to a club you just don't respect like that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t like to sound negative but I’m getting pretty tired of being overly invested in this club 😔

A realist. Grown with this club. The key moment was 2013 GF. Changed that day tbh.
Now I’m passionate as they come, but Freo don’t affect me as much as it did. It’s a hard journey- after 2013, Richmond suddenly won a flag, bulldogs too. Then west coast somehow makes the GF in 2015 and won it in 2018.
Freo? Haven’t made it back since. Today hurts, but don’t know.. maybe it’s maturity.

Just about done. Watched from home...bad mistake...apparently yelling “fffffffffuuuuuuuccckkkk” at the top of your voice isn’t acceptable. Who knew?

I’m a better person when I don’t follow the games. Get the results later...less heart ache.

You just knew this was coming...so typically Freo.

Head buried in my hands after that final goal....

Had more blues supporters around me than Freo and it sucked. They were so happy for the win and let us know about it as well.

Poor performance all round with the defence looking like crap. Why the hell did they all continually get drawn to the ball and all go up for the mark, leaving 2 free Carlton players to crumb and goal.

Then when moving the ball rarely did we go to a one on one. Oh no we went to a one on three and lost possession. Or we would choose to go down the corridor and lose it. Shocking ball use and decisions all game.

The worst part wasn't that we lost is was that we were out played and outgunned. They were better, harder and more skilled.

Extremely gutted and disappointed after 25 years of supporting, one of the most frustrating games for a while because we had numerous opportunities to win it and put them away yet only seemed to want to play in little bursts and when the games was up for simply did not want it.

somewhere between surly Pakistani cricket supporter & Liam Gallagher having to make his own tea bemoaning the fact that people nowadays download music for nish

pakistani.jpg liam.jpg

Last edited:
Back