Opinion What stage of the game did you know we would win?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Cats were good enough to take of advantage of the disarray that was left behind when Vlastuin went off. Didn't look good. Looked like we forgot to send out an 18th player and Tom Stewart had been left alone.

Then the momentum shifted before halftime. Dusty's goal... Halftime...

We started the 3rd strong.

And then the crazy eyes. The crazier the eyes, the more confident I feel. I was standing in the loungeroom with my hands in the air (Cheezel in one hand, beer in the other), shouting "The eyes! The farking crazy eyes!" I turned to my young bloke and said "We've got this now."

The rest was deep, deep enjoyment of #4 putting on one of the best individual displays I'll ever see in a GF

View attachment 996958

Really makes you respect the competency of the coaching group. They were all over us in the second quarter, and while we rallied at the end of the half, it was still a big task. Move a couple of magnets on the whiteboard and it was immediately a different game.

It does make me wonder why it took that long to make it happen- Dimma said that the extra time in the break gave them more time to strategise, but I suspect he's being humble. I wonder whether they knew the changes they wanted to make but were struggling to communicate them to the players during the quarter. It was a frantic pace, and despite Geelong's dominance, they didn't really score much, so we wouldn't have had much time to talk to the players.

Really makes you respect the competency of the coaching group. They were all over us in the second quarter, and while we rallied at the end of the half, it was still a big task. Move a couple of magnets on the whiteboard and it was immediately a different game.

It does make me wonder why it took that long to make it happen- Dimma said that the extra time in the break gave them more time to strategise, but I suspect he's being humble. I wonder whether they knew the changes they wanted to make but were struggling to communicate them to the players during the quarter. It was a frantic pace, and despite Geelong's dominance, they didn't really score much, so we wouldn't have had much time to talk to the players.

Great post.

Big job. By that point, Houli had popped a calf and Broad had, ahem, concussed his, umm, shoulder. More than one magnet to consider in the backline, and it was also all over the shop in the forwardline. Which means changes to the midfield rotation.

They looked to be trying things in the 2nd - Astbury into the ruck then rested picking up Ablett in our D50. Not great, but worth a try. Might have been a bit of a process of elimination, and by halftime, they'd already put a line through some of the options.

Our wingers - Pickett and Forrest MacIntosh - saved our bacon in the 2nd, IMO. They knew their job, held their structure, and covered a lot of ground.

Dusty's goals marked the moments to me.

Before his first, I had a sinking feeling in my stomach. Things weren't working, and I was thinking we needed something big at half time or we were going down. Then he kicked a goal, and the mood lifted, both from the effort the team seemed to be putting in, and for myself. It seemed we a chance again.

Dusty's 3rd goal was where I was confident we'd win...not SURE (I've been a Richmond fan too long for that), but with 22pts up with under 8 mins to go, it seemed highly likely. 'Sure' probably happened a few mins later as the clock wound down. I can say that by the time Jack kicked his 2nd I felt it was just icing.

Martin's 3rd goal gave me one of the biggest rushes I've ever felt and I wasn't even at the game.

Once I got off the floor and stopped screaming, I had decided we were premiers.

Everything after that was just our lads taking the piss and putting on a show.

When Kolodjahnijkdfhgn turned that ball over at half back early in the 3rd and then Jack Henry shat himself inside D50 shortly after. That's when I knew they'd cracked under the pressure

this is a really good post. Thought a very similar thing in the moment. We looked lost in the back half after Vlas unfairly headbutted Danger’s elbow. It took until half time for the coaches to have the proper time to communicate the new approach, and suddenly we were back to our normal Great Wall of China backline in the second half.

this is a really good post. Thought a very similar thing in the moment. We looked lost in the back half after Vlas unfairly headbutted Danger’s elbow. It took until half time for the coaches to have the proper time to communicate the new approach, and suddenly we were back to our normal Great Wall of China backline in the second half.

Thanks. Someone else quoted my post a few pages back and also noted that Houli did his calf somewhere in this quarter, and we also had Broad go off hurt for a short while. So that kind of explains a little about why we seemed so out of sorts, but also why it seemed like our coaches weren't making changes- they really couldn't at the time.

Of course half time hit and they had the time needed to make those changes!

This is going to sound strange but when we kicked the 1st goal in the 3rd quarter i said to my daughter - We got this we were 9 points down
But the way the boys were huddled up before the 3rd started and the fierce tackling i thought we are hungry and when we kicked that goal
I knew.

Personally, it was the 2nd goal of the 3rd quarter (Castagna?). By that stage we were just dominating the territory battle and playing the game our way. They got a good goal against the run of play shortly after, but I remember not being upset. When Prestia kicked the first goal of the last quarter it was all over - Geelong players dropped their heads and Richmond boys started running amok. It's hard to believe that the margin was only 8 points at that stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First 5 minutes of the third Richmond really got on top of a tiring old geelong team

Late to the party here, but despite Geelongs strong 2nd quarter I felt we were still a big chance to get back in the game after Dusty’s goal at the end of the first half. When Prestia got the goal at the start of the last, I felt like we had taken control and the Cats were starting to wilt. I was pretty sure we would win when Lynch got the easy 6 points right in front of the big sticks half way through the 4th, but considered Dusty’s 3rd symphony the sealer. Even then, I only relaxed when Jack slotted his goal with a few minutes to go, then really started to celebrate following Dusty’s 4th symphony, the goal of the year. Brilliant. Perfect finish to the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back