What stupid things did you believe when you were young?

Remove this Banner Ad

the gold coast was surfers paradise

Everyone not from Qld believes this and isn't interested in hearing otherwise.

(I've been to Surfers, Broadbeach, Mermaid Beach etc. and my main take away is that Surfers is a shithole and Gold Coast is a stupid name for a city)

i thought the berlin wall was just a straight but long wall and didnt understand why people didnt just go to the end and walk around

It fell when I was 5 but I used to think that it separated East and West Germany and that it must therefore be like the Great Wall of China.

Now having been there and learned what it really was, when it went up and when it fell etc. I just feel old knowing that it has been down longer than it was ever up.

I can't remember exactly what I believed but Captain James Cook seems to hold a funny place in Australian history. He was:

(a) First European to discover Australia
(b) First European to observe and document indigenous Australians
(c) First European to chart the East coast of Australia
(d) Part of the First Fleet

I worry how many people think (a) and (d) are true.

I can't remember exactly what I believed but Captain James Cook seems to hold a funny place in Australian history. He was:

(a) First European to discover Australia
(b) First European to observe and document indigenous Australians
(c) First European to chart the East coast of Australia
(d) Part of the First Fleet

I worry how many people think (a) and (d) are true.

I felt offended when I learnt the dutch turned up to Oz and left thinking it was s**t. It wasn't until I had worked on Dirk Hartog island and traveled to Europe that I understood why they said it was s**t.

I thought rape was when a man ripped the clothes off a woman just so they could have a look at them naked, had no idea it involved having forced sex with them.

I remember hearing news reports about guys getting sent to jail for 10 years or more for rape and thinking that's a bit harsh for just ripping a woman's clothes off.

It wasn't until I got older and found out what rape actually involved that I realised why it was such a serious offence deserving such lengthy jail sentences.

I believed manipulative lying psychos only existed in soap operas

What soap operas were you watching when you were young?

I only watched A Country Practice, there was no manipulative lying psychos in Wandin Valley, just good old fashioned Aussie characters like Bob and Cookie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That you should piss in the water in a toilet
Aim for the water whilst your still learning the craft and once you’ve got the accuracy of Simon “The Wizard” Whitlock, thread the needle Dom Sheed style and hit the porcelain without pissing on the seat to keep night time disturbance to a minimum.

I remember watching a documentary on Nostradamus as a 12yr old and being distraught at the world ending in 1999 as per one of his prophecies, which was retro-revised to align with 9/11.

Growing up and beginning a life-long affair with VFL/AFL in the mid to late 80s:

Believing that no non-Victorian team would ever be allowed to win the Premiership, and that's why Sydney failed in the finals in 1986/87.

Believing that someone would kick 100 goals a season every year.

St Kilda would always be shithouse.

Richmond were rubbish and will always be rubbish, but they're my team.

The Fitzroy Bulldogs would dominate the new AFL.

I thought rape was when a man ripped the clothes off a woman just so they could have a look at them naked, had no idea it involved having forced sex with them.

I remember hearing news reports about guys getting sent to jail for 10 years or more for rape and thinking that's a bit harsh for just ripping a woman's clothes off.

It wasn't until I got older and found out what rape actually involved that I realised why it was such a serious offence deserving such lengthy jail sentences.

That would still count as indecent assault which carries a maximum penalty of 5 years in jail.

It's a massive legal grey area.

Nan used to say be careful of Jack Frost on cold days.He will bite you.

One cold frosty misty day.

My cousin and I armed with lifesaver's (the starwars ones not lollies lol ). Went to hunt down this jack frost campainer.

Fuuuu things you get told as a kid.
You mean lightsabers?

Haha the things we get told when we are younger... I probably have a list of things like this

Remove this Banner Ad

Back