What tangible onfield benefit do big rich clubs get from being big and rich these days?

Remove this Banner Ad

Carltons strength in its networking ‘Carlton In Business’ supports a strong gaming and hospitality growth which generated around $20M (1/3 of its total revenue). Again, a very different business model to Essendon and Richmond.

See the Ron De lulio story

Not playing your silly little just asking questions game that always always ends up with an enormo-sook about how the VFL was bankrupt in 1986 so that means four Melbourne clubs have to disappear in 2021 because "reasons".

So you know what you mean by full equalisation, just will not share it ... :(

Absolutely. But it needs to be run and treated unequally , for it to be more equal.

Well put. At the core is the home & away concept that belongs in the 1920s, where teams trained & played on their local 'dung heap'.

Its the 2020s & its a national comp. Time for a fair dinkum review.

Great example today how being S-M-R-T is the most valuable thing at a club now.

North get a quality tangible onfield benefit in Hugh Greenwood simply by maximising an existing relationship through Noble, and making the most of the rules and our salary cap position.

Great example today how being S-M-R-T is the most valuable thing at a club now.

North get a quality tangible onfield benefit in Hugh Greenwood simply by maximising an existing relationship through Noble, and making the most of the rules and our salary cap position Gold Coast's incompetence
Fixed it for you.

But still, Go North!! Great get!

Fixed it for you.

But still, Go North!! Great get!
Yep, North really on the ball here. Great get from seemingly nothing.

Gold Coast :oops:
Club and player not on the same tangent here. Really makes both parties look a little ordinary, but North the clear winners here. Think when you are doing these type of things you really need to know your player, otherwise it can really make you look silly!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it could be argued a team like GWS has missed out on a couple premierships largely due to blockbuster inexperience, an obvious drawback of being a smaller club.

I also wouldn't be so bold to say the precise details of various equalisation measures are set in concrete. Some might say an initiative like COLA, and whatever Brisbane was getting back in the glory days, was scrapped because the big clubs complained.
I don't think GWS were nearly good enough in 2017-2019, not without an easier run through finals anyway. They were beaten by better sides in 17/18 and then were physically shot by the time 2019 grand final came around after 3 big weeks of finals.

But 2016 they had a genuine shot and lost a home prelim after a huge chunk of Dogs fans got in their cars and drove 10 hours to Sydney to be a huge crowd presence.

The Dogs aren't a big Victorian club but it shows the passion a 60 year flag drought has over a club that's 6 years old. If GWS had filled their home ground with all fired up Giants fans I reckon they win that game and would've been heavy favourites in the grand final.

I don't think GWS were nearly good enough in 2017-2019, not without an easier run through finals anyway. They were beaten by better sides in 17/18 and then were physically shot by the time 2019 grand final came around after 3 big weeks of finals.

But 2016 they had a genuine shot and lost a home prelim after a huge chunk of Dogs fans got in their cars and drove 10 hours to Sydney to be a huge crowd presence.

The Dogs aren't a big Victorian club but it shows the passion a 60 year flag drought has over a club that's 6 years old. If GWS had filled their home ground with all fired up Giants fans I reckon they win that game and would've been heavy favourites in the grand final.

A very good description of the advantage heartland clubs have over the development States.

A very good description of the advantage heartland clubs have over the development States.
Not really a factor for Brisbane or Sydney though, the Lions crowds in recent finals have sounded very passionate for the home side. And the Suns have manage to avoid even being a factor by never playing in yet alone hosting a final. I do wonder what kind of crowds the Suns would draw to a home final. They had very solid crowd numbers early on in their existence, where as GWS have been building steadily but just didn't have the crowd base to host a prelim in 2016.

Not really a factor for Brisbane or Sydney though, the Lions crowds in recent finals have sounded very passionate for the home side. And the Suns have manage to avoid even being a factor by never playing in yet alone hosting a final. I do wonder what kind of crowds the Suns would draw to a home final. They had very solid crowd numbers early on in their existence, where as GWS have been building steadily but just didn't have the crowd base to host a prelim in 2016.

Its not just finals.

What privilege will be lost?
The structural economic advantage provided by having an entire state as a market, shared only with one competitor, who came into the market much later in the picture. Compare that to the structural economic disadvantage of a state-based market being shared between 10 clubs.

The structural economic advantage provided by having an entire state as a market, shared only with one competitor, who came into the market much later in the picture. Compare that to the structural economic disadvantage of a state-based market being shared between 10 clubs.

That is not going to change. In Melbourne there are reasons trotted out over club memberships based on the same notion - was it Hawthorn that was the latest team into the VFL ? 100th year in 2024.

No argument about the location of clubs that simply reflect the economic state of the game in both WA & Vic in the '80s.

Membership of the Eagles is in WA, what the MCC is to Melbourne - you dont let it lapse, because there are plenty on the waiting list.
Fortunately the Eagles & Freo both contribute to running WA footy.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back