What the empty list spot indicates?

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
For two years we have had a spare list spot on the main list. We made the decision to rookie Jackson instead of giving him a spot on the main list.
The only difference is that a rookie contract is only one year, while one on the main list is two years. But who here honestly thinks we will only give him one year? I will bet my left one even if he has an injury plagued, or poor form year he will be given another year.
The only other difference is that a rookies wage doesnt go against the cap. So the only real reason I can see for us having the empty spot is we have cap issues. The scary thing is even with the Tippet, Danger and now Lever warchests we still have to scrounge around for cap space.
Another blunder I heard Reidy did was re-jig Gibbs contract to increase his wage from the existing contract with Carlton. He was front ended big time and so should have come pretty cheap for the first two years. Apparently we scrapped that and increased his pay for his contract. Basically he got paid twice.

So of I am wrong, what other reason could exsist for the missing player?

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
For two years we have had a spare list spot on the main list. We made the decision to rookie Jackson instead of giving him a spot on the main list.
The only difference is that a rookie contract is only one year, while one on the main list is two years. But who here honestly thinks we will only give him one year? I will bet my left one even if he has an injury plagued, or poor form year he will be given another year.
The only other difference is that a rookies wage doesnt go against the cap. So the only real reason I can see for us having the empty spot is we have cap issues. The scary thing is even with the Tippet, Danger and now Lever warchests we still have to scrounge around for cap space.
Another blunder I heard Reidy did was re-jig Gibbs contract to increase his wage from the existing contract with Carlton. He was front ended big time and so should have come pretty cheap for the first two years. Apparently we scrapped that and increased his pay for his contract. Basically he got paid twice.

If we had JEdwards on the senior list for 2018, that will be one less senior spot we can draft a player with on the main draft in 2018.

We might not be keen to delisting many of the existing senior list next year and may struggle to delist the 3 we have to anyway. Plus this way JEdwards can remain on the rookie list in 2018 also.

All the top teams have been running short on their main list, which suggests they are doing to pay their players more.

I doubt we have a major cap issue, but we are probably planning for the need to re-sign Sloane, Mrouch, Laird, Lynch, etc... So having the salary savings of 2 new draftees should give us more room to negotiate.

Warchests only exist for two seasons at most, as you are required to spend 95% at a minimum, and as your squad gets better, the extra good players eat up whatever was left. On top of that for a side that we have, it's much more likely we're at 98-102% spend per year. Equally there is no warchest for Lever seeing we wouldn't have been paying him anymore than 300k a year for those first 3 years.

The most simple reason is it allows a club to upgrade a rookie at any time they like, secondly it's probably cap relief seeing it's another 100k to play around with which is invaluable considering we'd be close to max spend (as we should be).

Going in with a full list is only a good option when you're in rebuild as you want maximum chance of finding players who can be key parts of your squad when it upswings; for a club in a window that extra cap space has more value then a speculative draft pick.

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
If we had JEdwards on the senior list for 2018, that will be one less senior spot we can draft a player with on the main draft in 2018.

We might not be keen to delisting many of the existing senior list next year and may struggle to delist the 3 we have to anyway. Plus this way JEdwards can remain on the rookie list in 2018 also.
Using that logic we had an empty spot last year to bring someone on this year.

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Warchests only exist for two seasons at most, as you are required to spend 95% at a minimum, and as your squad gets better, the extra good players eat up whatever was left. On top of that for a side that we have, it's much more likely we're at 98-102% spend per year. Equally there is no warchest for Lever seeing we wouldn't have been paying him anymore than 300k a year for those first 3 years.

The most simple reason is it allows a club to upgrade a rookie at any time they like, secondly it's probably cap relief seeing it's another 100k to play around with which is invaluable considering we'd be close to max spend (as we should be).

Going in with a full list is only a good option when you're in rebuild as you want maximum chance of finding players who can be key parts of your squad when it upswings; for a club in a window that extra cap space has more value then a speculative draft pick.
You front load contracts, which gives you a bucket down the line. Which we havent got.
We offered Lever a pretty big wage, which added to Cameron would be worth 700-800k a year. If the club was willing to pay that, and still expected to be able to keep Sloane, Crouch etc then where has that warchest gone? And we still have a spare spot on the list. The question is, how much are we paying Gibbs.

You front load contracts, which gives you a bucket down the line. Which we havent got.
We offered Lever a pretty big wage, which added to Cameron would be worth 700-800k a year. If the club was willing to pay that, and still expected to be able to keep Sloane, Crouch etc then where has that warchest gone? And we still have a spare spot on the list. The question is, how much are we paying Gibbs.

We'd be paying Gibbs 650-750k which is in line with an A-grade midfielder if I had to take a guess, and if that is what it takes to get Gibbs to come to us, I'd pay that all day every day.

You balance between front loading and back ending as well, with the idea that you're going into every season at 96-98% spend; as that gives you enough room to maneuver around signing players up that you want to keep.

Whatever warchest we had would have gone into Gibbs and we'd be in the same situation wage wise as last season; supplemented with going in with less players on our list as it's not worth adding in an extra 1-2 players in our situation. The most important commodity for us right now is cap space after all.

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
We'd be paying Gibbs 650-750k which is in line with an A-grade midfielder if I had to take a guess, and if that is what it takes to get Gibbs to come to us, I'd pay that all day every day.

You balance between front loading and back ending as well, with the idea that you're going into every season at 96-98% spend; as that gives you enough room to maneuver around signing players up that you want to keep.

Whatever warchest we had would have gone into Gibbs and we'd be in the same situation wage wise as last season, and being supplimented with going in with less players on our list as it's not worth adding in an extra 1-2 players in our situation.
Then we have screwed up. Say Gibbs was on 600 a year at Carlton. They frontloaded him and say for example the first 2 years we a mill and then the last three were 300k. He wanted to come home and as such should play his two years out at 300k and get an extention of 400k for the last two years, which for a 31 year old is overs. However for the club to rip up that and sign him for four years at say 650k, then that is incompetant in thr highest order.

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Using that logic we had an empty spot last year to bring someone on this year.
Possibly. But also we may have been keeping spots open in case we wanted to upgrade rookies during this season (unlike next year) but because of long term injuries, were able to upgrade anyway.

Next year we already have 2 r1 picks and a near r1 pick so we could be wanting to draft quite a few players (notwithstanding if Crows decide to try trading up). Also could well be TPP cap reasons.

Also I highly doubt Lever and Cameron were paid close to 600k this year combined, which is the part that's freed up.

Then we have screwed up. Say Gibbs was on 600 a year at Carlton. They frontloaded him and say for example the first 2 years we a mill and then the last three were 300k. He wanted to come home and as such should play his two years out at 300k and get an extention of 400k for the last two years, which for a 31 year old is overs. However for the club to rip up that and sign him for four years at say 650k, then that is incompetant in thr highest order.

Gibbs is 29, and a gun midfielder (which is exactly what we needed); equally though we wouldn't have done that unless he said that is what needs to be done for us to sign him.

We're in a window, and unless we are paying him 800+, it's a small price to pay for a gun midfielder.

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Gibbs is 29, and a gun midfielder (which is exactly what we needed); equally though we wouldn't have done that unless he said that is what needs to be done for us to sign him.

We're in a window, and unless we are paying him 800+, it's a small price to pay for a gun midfielder.
He wanted to come home. Should be happy to keep getting paid the same. In 2019 he will be 30. Tell me how many B+ mids at 30 years of age have three year contracts of 650k per year?

Paladin

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tex said Gibbs took a pay cut to come to adelaide.

Why are you so critical when you have no idea of the facts and are just ranting over hypotheticals?

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tex said Gibbs took a pay cut to come to adelaide.

Why are you so critical when you have no idea of the facts and are just ranting over hypotheticals?
Rubbish he took a pay cut.
He had a contract in place that at a minimum had to be honoured. And that contract had been very heavily front loaded which left him getting unders in the final years.
Im sure Tex means his new four year contract was worth less than his 5 year deal at Carlton.

Paladin

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Rubbish he took a pay cut.
He had a contract in place that at a minimum had to be honoured. And that contract had been very heavily front loaded which left him getting unders in the final years.
Im sure Tex means his new four year contract was worth less than his 5 year deal at Carlton.
Im not sure you can be sure about anything. You have no idea what Gibbs is being paid. Why are you ranting about something you know nothing about?

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
There have been slim pickings for the Trolls this year.

We have picked up Gibbs + Gibson which IMHO > Lever + Cameron as far as our team requirements.

We have picked up two fantastic South Aussies that we had targeted in the draft.

We now have four quality SA rookies plus Murphy and Hunter (I believe they are both AFL ready if needed).

We have a bunch of quality KIDS who will have two or three pre-seasons under their belt (Milera, Doedee, Gallucci,
Poholke, Himmelberg, Jarman and Davis).

We have a full list of 44 players.

But, but, but......... we don’t have any Category B Rookies :rolleyes:.

Haters gunna hate, Trolls gunna troll.

P.S. And that doesn’t take into account the fantastic improvement in nexr year’s draft.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
We also offered Motlop decent money

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
There have been slim pickings for the Trolls this year.

We have picked up Gibbs + Gibson which IMHO > Lever + Cameron as far as our team requirements.

We have picked up two fantastic South Aussies that we had targeted in the draft.

We now have four quality SA rookies plus Murphy and Hunter (I believe they are both AFL ready if needed).

We have a bunch of quality KIDS who will have two or three pre-seasons under their belt (Milera, Doedee, Gallucci,
Poholke, Himmelberg, Jarman and Davis).

We have a full list of 44 players.

But, but, but......... we don’t have any Category B Rookies :rolleyes:.

Haters gunna hate, Trolls gunna troll.

P.S. And that doesn’t take into account the fantastic improvement in nexr year’s draft.
Calling posters trolls who don’t share your opinion is pretty lame.

Last edited:

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Im not sure you can be sure about anything. You have no idea what Gibbs is being paid. Why are you ranting about something you know nothing about?
The word I heard out of someone at Carlton is that we offered Gibbs more per season than was left on his contract. I will take this guys info well over yours.

mickfaxis

Club Legend
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

A this stage, Cheney, Dear, Otten and Gibson would have to pull out sensational seasons to be re-contracted. There were whispers Atkins was on the table, and Galluci better get some game time or home might be calling.

Back