What the hell is happening on our roads?

Remove this Banner Ad

Giant jacked up city driving 4wd normal headlights shining straight in normal height cars wind screens
Ban all of em

Yeah who knows, if they can drive at the required distance behind you instead of trying to drive straight over you then maybe I wouldn't notice.

Another idea is that congestion is increasing due to population and more cars per capita, with roads designed decades ago for far lighter traffic. People who don't own a car are getting rarer and rarer. Frustration can lead to more people choosing to speed, pull out without looking, and so on.

Just saw a 9 news post on facebook.

"Victorian drivers could soon be forced to keep their lights on at all times, under a new proposal aimed at combatting the soaring road toll across the state by reducing the risk of crashes. "

"Victorian drivers could soon be forced to keep their lights on at all times, under a new proposal aimed at combatting the soaring road toll across the state by reducing the risk of crashes. "
lol, yeah that'll do it.
Jesus Christ.
1 month later, they will fine you for not having them on in daylight, boom ...millions.

Other cars aren't just an inconvenience, they're an obstacle to get around at all costs.
Rather than pull up behind a car, people will happily change into the right lane so they are the first car in line when the traffic lights turn green, only to change back into the left lane to take the next exit.
That's an example of drivers and their priorities vs sensible driving.

Car battery retailers like this.

Being a bit more visible doesn't cure recklnessness and selfishness.

More cars, no police presence (relying more and more on cameras that everyone is warned to avoid), crappier (poorly designed and maintained) roads, less patience, more selfishness, more distractions while driving, more drug use, less consequences for bad behaviour, more foreign drivers on our roads without adequate training in our rules (although this risk is pretty minor compared to the risk posed by tradies and the newest generation who can't be off their devices for more than a few seconds without having a breakdown)

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

More cars, no police presence (relying more and more on cameras that everyone is warned to avoid), crappier (poorly designed and maintained) roads, less patience, more selfishness, more distractions while driving, more drug use, less consequences for bad behaviour

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app
But But headlights, thats gotta make a difference ! :) cabbage,toaster,dishwasher.

But But headlights, thats gotta make a difference ! :) cabbage,toaster,dishwasher.

At night I notice too many cars driving with only one headlight working.

But being forced to have them on during the day will surely never happen, that would be nearly as embarrassing as Americans fascination with guns.

And I believe that virtual dashboards make people more likely to forget to turn their headlights on. When it gets dark with a traditional dashboard, it gets hard to see and that's a prompt to switch the lights on. It's virtually impossible to forget. With a virtual dashboard, it's always illuminated.

Touching on what others have already pointed out: it's hard to articulate in words, but it seems these days being a selfish, show-off flog is celebrated rather than frowned upon. It's all about me, my time, my right of way, my ability to use my smartphone while driving and my giant 'safe' SUV. Modern cars are streets ahead of older ones in safety features, but when a * head is behind the wheel that won't save it from crashing.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the new cars have driving aids
Yes it all works like magic now, and you also feel cocooned away from the rest of the world too much.

You no longer feel you are operating a piece of machinery, feeling closer to the road and outside environment. Modern cars have too good suspension and noise deadening. All those imperfections were a reminder than you were driving a tonne of metal around at high speed.

So people now can't drive. Smartphone distraction is a massive factor. See it all the time with people wavering out of lanes etc

This thread and replies started when i was on my (pubishment waaay out of proportion) week off.

I personally think having lights on all the time is a good thing. At least where i mostly drive. Its winding, lots of trees with intermittent sun shining through leaves and often both dark and light, particularly at school pick up which corresponds with storm time and dark clouds.
Many a time i have seen a car late which had no lights on and when lights are on i always see them.

Can see the issue with older cars where people may forget to turn off - and flat battery the result.
But for modern cars no such issues.

This thread and replies started when i was on my (pubishment waaay out of proportion) week off.

I personally think having lights on all the time is a good thing. At least where i mostly drive. Its winding, lots of trees with intermittent sun shining through leaves and often both dark and light, particularly at school pick up which corresponds with storm time and dark clouds.
Many a time i have seen a car late which had no lights on and when lights are on i always see them.

Can see the issue with older cars where people may forget to turn off - and flat battery the result.
But for modern cars no such issues.

They are the dangerous ones. the slivers of sunshine that burst through gaps in leaves. in a split second your eye is in shade, nek minnut blinding spearing light.

giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back