CM9000

BigFooty Optimist
Aug 19, 2016
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Are we seriously just leaving that disgrace of a game up in the air, as a lot seem to be on here?

To start off, why aren't we talking about Shannon's dreadful match?

Needed to step up this week and went to ground (literally) again.

New drinking game - take a sip (do not skull or you will die) every time the captain goes to ground or doesn't stick a tackle.

And what the * happened with Simmo? How does the coach of the reigning premiers get outplayed like that?

Ever since the start of this season I haven't rated his work at all. Backing in Brander from the start of last year was a mistake, going away from the defensive system that worked the year before. The whole three talls fiasco, that doesn't need any explanation. Supposedly we worked on wet weather football over the break but we overused it like mother ****ers yesterday.

I'm standing up for Ryan too. Simpson has no idea how to use him. Doesn't throw him into the middle, just leaves him to jog around unsure of his own role. We have a weapon, bloody learn to utilise him.

Willie Rioli will be a huge inclusion, we need more crumbing forwards.

We're in for a long 2019, the premiership hangover is real.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Are we seriously just leaving that disgrace of a game up in the air, as a lot seem to be on here?

To start off, why aren't we talking about Shannon's dreadful match?

Needed to step up this week and went to ground (literally) again.

New drinking game - take a sip (do not skull or you will die) every time the captain goes to ground or doesn't stick a tackle.

And what the **** happened with Simmo? How does the coach of the reigning premiers get outplayed like that?

Ever since the start of this season I haven't rated his work at all. Backing in Brander from the start of last year was a mistake, going away from the defensive system that worked the year before. The whole three talks fiasco, that doesn't need any explanation. Supposedly we worked on wet weather football over the break but we overused it like mother ****ers yesterday.

I'm standing up for Ryan too. Simpson has no idea how to use him. Doesn't throw him into the middle, just leaves him to jog around unsure of his own role. We have a weapon, bloody learn to utilise him.

Willie Rioli will be a huge inclusion, we need more crumbing forwards.

We're in for a long 2019, the premiership hangover is real.
It's going to be ok mate, we just went in too tall for the slippery conditions and didn't deal with the humidity well. Not like it's really hurt us that much either seeing as most of the other contenders lost as well.

As I said in Positives and Negatives:

I need a laugh after that, so if you’re going to melt, please dial it up to 11.

So cheers for that.

Not to speak for anyone else but, yes, I am ruling a line through that game and moving on. Is it very disappointing that we went in too tall on a predictably wet deck? Yes. Were there some very disheartening efforts to win the footy on display? Yes.

Until I see what the reigning Premiers can do on an AFL standard field, I’m willing to ignore that as a quirk of the fixture (like our annual hammering in Tasmania) and move on.

CM9000

BigFooty Optimist
Aug 19, 2016
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Melt harder bro
It's going to be ok mate, we just went in too tall for the slippery conditions and didn't deal with the humidity well. Not like it's really hurt us that much either seeing as most of the other contenders lost as well.

You can't just completely dismiss this offhand. We're still mentally weak, Brisbane exposed that.

As I said in Positives and Negatives:

So cheers for that.

Not to speak for anyone else but, yes, I am ruling a line through that game and moving on. Is it very disappointing that we went in too tall on a predictably wet deck? Yes. Were there some very disheartening efforts to win the footy on display? Yes.

Until I see what the reigning Premiers can do on an AFL standard field, I’m willing to ignore that as a quirk of the fixture (like our annual hammering in Tasmania) and move on.

Pretty big difference between the Gabba and the shithole that is Blunderstone.

We need to win everywhere if we want to go B2B, and this just isn't good enough. We're in for a long year.

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
You can't just completely dismiss this offhand. We're still mentally weak, Brisbane exposed that.

We need to win everywhere if we want to go B2B, and this just isn't good enough. We're in for a long year.
Just a practice match, we'll be right

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

How can you categorically say "We're in for a long year" after one game? We got beaten in Round 1 last year as well by 5 goals and Port won by 50 points.

Yes it was a bad performance but the season isn't decided in Round 1.

Based on what exactly? We have at least a season’s and a half evidence that this team hangs tough and can keep its head under pressure (Port x2, mature performances against GWS and Hawthorn away to kill a tight game, trailing at 3/4QT in the qualifying final, down five goals in the Grand Final). You can’t take a team that was down five goals, in the lions den of the MCG with 100k fans, with 2015 flashbacks pounding in their head, and suggest to me that that’s a team that would be rattled by 20k people and some pressure at the Gabba. There is very little evidence to suggest we’re “mentally weak”, whatever that means as it applies to this game.

We failed to wrestle a game back onto our terms in tough conditions against a side that threw a big punch at us. We had no counterpunch. It’s very disappointing, but one week isn’t a trend. How you could look at what this team managed over the last two seasons and come to the conclusion that they’re mentally weak is beyond me.

The reality is, we don’t. The likely scenario is that we’ll never even travel to Queensland again this season. This isn’t some hoodoo that’s lorded over us for years - we had to go to the GABBA and win a crucial Round 23 game last season to confirm top two. We did so.

Have a look around the league at every club throwing the toys out of the cot after a very strange round one.

If a trend emerges, I’ll be right there with you. Deciding that the hangover is already underway based on a really disappointing first day out, on a tough deck, with 1200 goals missing from our last game, is certainly a novel approach.

CM9000

BigFooty Optimist
Aug 19, 2016
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Just a practice match, we'll be right

We won't.

Its only round 1 but people predicting finals this year have rocks in their head.

How can you categorically say "We're in for a long year" after one game? We got beaten in Round 1 last year as well by 5 goals and Port won by 50 points.

Yes it was a bad performance but the season isn't decided in Round 1.

Just look at the stats.

Same story ( different year ) in the nitty gritty of where the games are won and lost.

At half time we trail in all three engine room KPI's.

Clearances we trail 21 -11
Stoppages we trail 15-7
Contested possessions we trail 77-60

Sound like a familiar tale of woe from the last three seasons.

So refresh my memory because I am finding it difficult to remember what was it we have done over the past two seasons to improve our midfield.

Its going to be a long season.

Based on what exactly? We have at least a season’s and a half evidence that this team hangs tough and can keep its head under pressure (Port x2, mature performances against GWS and Hawthorn away to kill a tight game, trailing at 3/4QT in the qualifying final, down five goals in the Grand Final). You can’t take a team that was down five goals, in the lions den of the MCG with 100k fans, with 2015 flashbacks pounding in their head, and suggest to me that that’s a team that would be rattled by 20k people and some pressure at the Gabba. There is very little evidence to suggest we’re “mentally weak”, whatever that means as it applies to this game.

We failed to wrestle a game back onto our terms in tough conditions against a side that threw a big punch at us. We had no counterpunch. It’s very disappointing, but one week isn’t a trend. How you could look at what this team managed over the last two seasons and come to the conclusion that they’re mentally weak is beyond me.

The reality is, we don’t. The likely scenario is that we’ll never even travel to Queensland again this season. This isn’t some hoodoo that’s lorded over us for years - we had to go to the GABBA and win a crucial Round 23 game last season to confirm top two. We did so.

Have a look around the league at every club throwing the toys out of the cot after a very strange round one.

If a trend emerges, I’ll be right there with you. Deciding that the hangover is already underway based on a really disappointing first day out, on a tough deck, with 1200 goals missing from our last game, is certainly a novel approach.

I think you're just being naive.

Were in troble this season. Skilluse is is so bad. Was hoping we could cover that tough inside role that priddis played but this game is showing we cant. there is no one that wants to get the in and under ball. Reddon is to soft and Hutching is not consistant. Shuey and Gaff bearly been seen. Duggan clanging it up.
Yeo playing like a headless chook. So many things wrong in the middle.

Then there is Darling who doesnt deserve to be playing round 1. Looks hopeless as a forward.

Rnd 1 we should stick with Waterman and Brander with Kennedy or switch Gov forward. Have a backline of Barrass and Yeo holding key position defence. Piss Darling off to WAFL till he learns how to play again. Cripps can piss off.

Going to be a tough year regardless. Its about mending the holes and there are to many to fix. Simpson will be gone by end of season.

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
We won't.

Its only round 1 but people predicting finals this year have rocks in their head.

Just look at the stats.

Same story ( different year ) in the nitty gritty of where the games are won and lost.

At half time we trail in all three engine room KPI's.

Clearances we trail 21 -11
Stoppages we trail 15-7
Contested possessions we trail 77-60

Sound like a familiar tale of woe from the last three seasons.

So refresh my memory because I am finding it difficult to remember what was it we have done over the past two seasons to improve our midfield.

Its going to be a long season.

I think you're just being naive.

Were in troble this season. Skilluse is is so bad. Was hoping we could cover that tough inside role that priddis played but this game is showing we cant. there is no one that wants to get the in and under ball. Reddon is to soft and Hutching is not consistant. Shuey and Gaff bearly been seen. Duggan clanging it up.
Yeo playing like a headless chook. So many things wrong in the middle.

Then there is Darling who doesnt deserve to be playing round 1. Looks hopeless as a forward.

Rnd 1 we should stick with Waterman and Brander with Kennedy or switch Gov forward. Have a backline of Barrass and Yeo holding key position defence. Piss Darling off to WAFL till he learns how to play again. Cripps can piss off.

Going to be a tough year regardless. Its about mending the holes and there are to many to fix. Simpson will be gone by end of season.
Have you been hacked by a housemate?

Aug 31, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Yes, the manner in which this club folded under pressure is disgraceful.

I'm completely serious, we fold far too quickly under pressure. We're mentally weak.

I’m not quite buying what you are selling here sir! Are you feeling ok? I fear Figure09 has gone from the hackee (not sure if that is a word!) to hacker :p

536d37e9e1fd29644e427f04bf0aff42.jpg

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
One thing this game highlighted is the need to keep pumping games into our next generation of forward players. Losing Cripps, Lecras and JK from last year's forward line has exposed the lack of depth. I'm really pleased the club identified this a while ago and is working on exposing the youth. I think they went too far the other way yesterday, but it was probably a good game to try it in.

Mind you, it's probably irrelevant as they will be folding the club tomorrow.

Back