Opinion What the midfield is lacking

Wagee

Debutant
Apr 26, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Rupert wills
Our midfield is in desperate need of a bullocking midfielder, who runs both ways and doesn't stop tackling, theirs plenty of talent with the likes of pendles trelor sidebottom and beams, I just feel with a guy like wills in there these guys would just flourish with some real grunt around them

Rupert wills
Our midfield is in desperate need of a bullocking midfielder, who runs both ways and doesn't stop tackling, theirs plenty of talent with the likes of pendles trelor sidebottom and beams, I just feel with a guy like wills in there these guys would just flourish with some real grunt around them
Play well tomorrow mate and you might get a look in;)

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Unleash the Rupert

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Another midfield thread

That’s what we’re lacking

:eek::p

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Rupert wills
Was thinking this today as well, he’s a handball machine...slow and can’t really kick but heck let’s give him a go.

I would give him a go Friday.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Was thinking this today as well, he’s a handball machine...slow and can’t really kick but heck let’s give him a go.

I would give him a go Friday.
He should get a game if he’s in the best 22 for any particular match, otherwise not.

But who knows if given a chance he grabs it with two hands.

I don’t know if you’re Jewish, but it’s pretty clear what we’re lacking.

giphy.gif

Go Woods

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’d give Wills a game if he dominates this weekend. I’d also like JDG to play more midfield than forward, and of course can’t wait to get Sire back in the senior side ‘ where he belongs’.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Such a great movie.

The baseball bat was hit in this rhythm - very clever directing by Tarantino.

Some asides:

The Brad Pitt (who was in the movie) of German cinema, Til Schweiger was also in the movie, as the rogue German who loved killing nazis. Aldo Reins (Pitt) invited him to go pro.

Schweiger a German, has always point blank refused to play any nazi but as he was killing nazis he did the role.

Also in the movie was Gedeon Burkhand as one of the Basterds (he did the translating for Rains when required - obviously because he was so fluent in both German and English. Burkhand played in Inspector Rex as the second main inspector after first, the Moser character (Tobias Moretti) was killed in the series (very sad episode)

Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Rupert wills

Yeah, agree. Though Greenwood had played a bit like that in this really years. Wills or sier or De Goey are the obvious ones.

ride56

Enforcer
Dec 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's really only lacking good forwards that can kick soda goals (and maybe better reading of our ruck taps). We would have beaten Geelong and smashed Essendon if so. Sier would be handy too

Collingwooditis

Debutant
Oct 11, 2007
Sunshine Coast, Qld
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Can go *&@% themselves!
Im mystified as to why Willsy cant get a run. Hopefully we get to see him today as the Coll. Ess. Magoos game is being shown on the VFL App & website

RIGHT NOW!!
Bucks don't like him for whatever reason, but he could be a star. If he don't get a game soon we'll lose him.

Im mystified as to why Willsy cant get a run. Hopefully we get to see him today as the Coll. Ess. Magoos game is being shown on the VFL App & website

RIGHT NOW!!
Bucks don't like him for whatever reason, but he could be a star. If he don't get a game soon we'll lose him.

I think he is Too Slow so can't really Spread.

Plus not doing Much at VFL Level

When he plays midfield, Degoey is a good stoppage mid, but he doesn't seem to get much of the footy in transition. We might gain in terms of the stoppages, but we'd lose in transition and lose big time up forward.

When he Kick Straight but our Biggest Weakness in the Midfield is in the Stoppages

RIGHT NOW!!
I'd love to be wrong, but I have him pegged as your old fashioned Terry Wallace style mid - win ball, move it in your team's direction without much control over who ends up with your disposal.

When he Kick Straight but our Biggest Weakness in the Midfield is in the Stoppages
Agree that JDG in the midfield permanently would improve us at the stoppage, just think overall it would weaken us. We'd lose his threat up forward and I also think we'd lose a bit in terms of transition.

domin8tors

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Swap De Goey to Midfield and send Beams Forward
With whe back in and Elliott our forward line can impact more with Dagoey spending more time in the middle. He only needs another 3-4 Min a qtr in there taking into account rotation etc

saha

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wills ain’t the answer.

I can understand why people are of this view and he certainly can improve his cleanness on the deck and his perceived lack of speed. That said, I've always thought over the past few seasons that the midfield has been more balanced with Sier or Wills in it. The reason being they can do the dirty work and stop opposition sides walking it out and allow the real A-graders to do their bit in creating, attacking and showing flair.

Granted, we all believe based on what we saw from Sier last year that he is ahead of Wills. That said, Sier's early season form, though interrupted by injury, clearly hasn't impressed the coaching staff. Wills is now next in line and will eventually deserve a shot.

I actually think he'll be a player who'll be solid and not necessarily be a player who'll break a game open at VFL level but could very easily assert his physical presence and defensive traits i.e. tackling with better players around him. Numbers can be deceiving but his clearance work and ability to release players in the two games I've seen live have been impressive. If there is a legitimate 'win or halve' mentality as there should be at centre bounces - add to the fact his direct match-up wouldn't be a strong breakaway midfielder - then I think he can play a role to balance things more than they currently are. Something has to be tinkered with because our stoppage work does need to improve and look out opposition sides if it does

Back